PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(They say) This Hypothetical Earl Thomas-Patriots Trade Makes Ton Of Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
If trading Shaq Mason is inevitable, I would prefer a defensive lineman or a linebacker in return. No?

They will take Richards for Thomas and like it.
BB is Petes daddy.
We will throw in Geno Grissom
To be fair, Carrol is 2-1 against BB with the Seahawks and very well could've been 3-0 if it weren't for Malcolm Butler.

With that being said, this would be a bad trade for the Seahawks. They need guys upfront who can pass block better for Wilson and Mason isn't that great at that.

I'd rather see the Pats keep Mason for one more year and sign Eric Reid.

Trading Mason is inevitable since when?

The article implies that will happen. I did say "IF". In other words if a bidding war breaks out, like it did for Nate Solder, our team will most likely wave good by.

Tough to pay an IOL that kind of money, but it’s not “inevitable,” either. I think most feel as though this is his last year, though.

Mason is going to command a big contract and the Pats aren’t going to open the checkbook that wide. Thomas is a hammer and would be a good presence in the locker room as well as a tone setter on the field. He plays similar to Rodney but I don’t think will freelance as much as Rodney did/could. He could give our D some teeth.

After all, it would be reasonable if we knew that Brown would be a solid starter at LT, that Wynn would be a solid starter at LG, and if there were to be no injuries at OG during the season.
NOT!

Mason is going to command a big contract and the Pats aren’t going to open the checkbook that wide. Thomas is a hammer and would be a good presence in the locker room as well as a tone setter on the field. He plays similar to Rodney but I don’t think will freelance as much as Rodney did/could. He could give our D some teeth.
Is he needed?
It's pry our most deep position.

I like Mason but I don’t understand when he became this elite guard commanding 8 figures annually. Seems that has been a topic of discussion only recently.

He is a very good run blocker but that’s less important in today’s game. And don’t forget he missed the block that led to the Brady fumble that lost the Super Bowl.

I hope we keep him but of all the players to break the bank for, I’d put him lower on the list.

Earl Thomas will end up with the Chargers...if there is any common sense left in this screwball league.

To be fair, Carrol is 2-1 against BB with the Seahawks and very well could've been 3-0 if it weren't for Malcolm Butler.

With that being said, this would be a bad trade for the Seahawks. They need guys upfront who can pass block better for Wilson and Mason isn't that great at that.

I'd rather see the Pats keep Mason for one more year and sign Eric Reid.

and to be even more fair, the Patriots could be 3-0 if that debacle in 2012 wasn't such a robbery by the refs in the 24-23 loss. The Pats should have won the game by 10 points

and don't forget the 3 points BB eschewed at the end of the 1st half from the 3 yard line

The most damaging came at the end of the first half when coach Bill Belichick opted to throw with 6 seconds remaining instead of kicking the field goal from the Seattle 3. Brady was flagged for intentional grounding and the ensuing time runoff ended the half.

"You lose by one point and here are a lot of things we could have done better to not be in that situation," Brady said.

Seattle's defense gave up a season-high 475 yards after not allowing any of its first five opponents to top 300. ]The Patriots went eight consecutive drives without punting, and ran 85 offensive plays to the Seahawks' 55, yet could not get the touchdowns to put Seattle away.

So let's be fair, OK?

?

and to be even more fair, the Patriots could be 3-0 if that debacle in 2012 wasn't such a robbery by the refs in the 24-23 loss. The Pats should have won the game by 10 points

and don't forget the 3 points BB eschewed at the end of the 1st half from the 3 yard line

The most damaging came at the end of the first half when coach Bill Belichick opted to throw with 6 seconds remaining instead of kicking the field goal from the Seattle 3. Brady was flagged for intentional grounding and the ensuing time runoff ended the half.

"You lose by one point and here are a lot of things we could have done better to not be in that situation," Brady said.

Seattle's defense gave up a season-high 475 yards after not allowing any of its first five opponents to top 300. ]The Patriots went eight consecutive drives without punting, and ran 85 offensive plays to the Seahawks' 55, yet could not get the touchdowns to put Seattle away.

So let's be fair, OK?

?
That game in 2012 against the Pats put the Seahawks on the map and opened the door on their run in the first part of this decade.

Then the Pats slammed the door shut on Seattle a few years later. Poetic justice.

I’d trade Shaq Mason for Earl Thomas in a second. In a nickel/dime/money league, you can never have enough quality DBs.

Lot of spec on them not being able to pay Mason going forward. BSJ (Bedard and Chris) has been saying it's either pay Mason or Trey Flowers. Even had a pole on it, Flowers won in a landslide.

Thomas would give them a very solid and hard hitting defensive backfield. I'd consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing