PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Theo's back officially!

mtbykr

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Here is the statement from Theo in the press release from Jan 24th:

EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT/GENERAL MANAGER THEO EPSTEIN
“At the press conference following my decision not to accept a contract extension as GM of the Red Sox, I explained that to do this job the right way, I needed to put my whole heart and soul into it. I said that I should not stay on as GM unless I believed in the people I worked with and believed in the direction of the entire organization. As accomplished as the Red Sox were last October, there were fundamental disagreements among members of upper management with respect to organizational philosophy, approaches and priorities. This lack of a shared vision, plus the stress of a far-too-public negotiation, strained some relationships, including mine with Larry Lucchino. Regretfully, we all made mistakes, and, despite our best efforts, we were not able to get on the same page.

“Throughout November, John Henry, Tom Werner, Larry and I held discussions to see what lessons could be learned in the aftermath of my departure. Gradually, with the benefit of time and greater perspective, we tackled not only our personal conflicts but also the differences regarding our thoughts for the organization. We emerged, ten weeks and many spirited conversations later, with the comfort of a shared vision for the future of the organization, including the role of the Baseball Operations department. I deeply regret that the Red Sox were placed in a delicate position while we worked out these issues, but thanks to the selfless work of Jed Hoyer, Ben Cherington and many others, the organization persevered. I believe that with our new vision in place, with renewed lines of communication, and with a real sense of unity, we have a chance to be a greater organization than we were before. We thank Red Sox Nation for being patient with us, and we promise to work tirelessly, quietly, and in harmony to field clubs that can contend for a World Championship year after year.â€

Last edited:
More from the sox

Here is the original statement from the sox:

The Red Sox released the following statement regarding Theo Epstein's front-office role today:

The Boston Red Sox today announced that Theo Epstein has returned to the club with the title and responsibilities of Executive Vice President/General Manager. President/CEO Larry Lucchino made the announcement. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Jed Hoyer and Ben Cherington, who shared the role of General Manager during much of the time Epstein was away from the club, will stay on in key leadership positions within the Baseball Operations Department. Hoyer has been named Assistant General Manager, and Cherington has been named Vice President/Player Personnel.

Bill Lajoie and Craig Shipley, who also played an integral role in directing the Baseball Operations Department during much of the offseason, will remain with the Red Sox, Lajoie as Special Advisor/Baseball Operations and Shipley as Vice President/International Scouting and Special Assistant to the General Manager.

Attached are statements from Red Sox Principal Owner John W. Henry, Chairman Tom Werner, Lucchino, Epstein, Hoyer and Cherington as well as a joint statement issued by Henry, Werner, Lucchino and Epstein regarding Hoyer and Cherington.

and the circus continues.

Press conference anyone?

PatsWorldChamps said:
and the circus continues.

Press conference anyone?
There will be none.

That's a good website, thanks.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes