PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The whole rub for me about spygate.

goz421

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Being a life long Pats fan I was deeply dismayed when spygate occurred so I followed it fairly closely. At the time when I brought up this point everyone had become so slanted that no one carried the conversation.

By the letter of the rule the same film they obtained on their opponent could have been gained anywhere else in the stadium. In the age of high tech cameras you can't tell me this whole act by Belichick was really an attempt to cheat. He chose instead to put a big bulky camera in the box for all to see.

In my opinion he was thumbing his nose at the league decision makers, saying this rule is so absurdly stupid that he wasn't going to pay it any mind.

What he didn't realize was that he was so far ahead of the competition and the ability of the media to manipulate the public that he was going to have to swallow a pill for being too smart.

No wonder he says nothing to the media now.

I sure hope he gets one more.

This brings to mind the Antonio Smith thing. It was clear seeing Coach on the sideline dissect the film of the other team alignments that by the end of the game he was going to be able to closely predict what they would do.

I've seen it for years. no cheating, just good coaching.

the league is full of Joey Porters...these mutts are a dime a dozen and act like a flock of parrots to rationalize THEIR losing. In a few years this moron will be on a police blotter somewhere for doing something moronic.

Remember now the whole spygate thing gets a big assist by that p.o.s rat mangini.

I agree with Smith, in fact they were blatant about iot, they were taking photos and looking at them on the sidelines, and they weren't even trying to hide it.

Blatant spying, WTF Bill?

To me the whole spygate was like watching the refs in the NBA call a travel on someone.

To the previous poster I hope you were being facetious because stills are allowed. Antonio Smith should be smart enough to know nothing is new in the NFL. Maybe he isn't.

The funniest part about spy gate is all the mediots, players and fans that say the SB Championships are tainted, yet the rule against video taping defensive signals weren't against the rules UNTIL the 2007 season. We won our championships in 2001, 2003 & 2004. All of those people are such morons.

The funniest part about spy gate is all the mediots, players and fans that say the SB Championships are tainted, yet the rule against video taping defensive signals weren't against the rules UNTIL the 2007 season. We won our championships in 2001, 2003 & 2004. All of those people are such morons.

Yeah, but they illegally spied on the Rams practices before SB 36!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being a life long Pats fan I was deeply dismayed when spygate occurred so I followed it fairly closely. At the time when I brought up this point everyone had become so slanted that no one carried the conversation.

By the letter of the rule the same film they obtained on their opponent could have been gained anywhere else in the stadium. In the age of high tech cameras you can't tell me this whole act by Belichick was really an attempt to cheat. He chose instead to put a big bulky camera in the box for all to see.

In my opinion he was thumbing his nose at the league decision makers, saying this rule is so absurdly stupid that he wasn't going to pay it any mind.

What he didn't realize was that he was so far ahead of the competition and the ability of the media to manipulate the public that he was going to have to swallow a pill for being too smart.

I enjoy talking about Crygate.

The single biggest factor that turned that molehill into a mountain was when Don Shula decided to pipe in with his asterisk talk. I lost a lot of the respect that I had for him when he went public with remarks like that about another NFL HC. That's the biggest difference between the two men. Belichick would never publicly insult another HC like that for any reason.

The fact that the new Commish was a former Jet employee and probably had some pressure from other loser teams to give the Pats a stiff penalty didn't help. Neither did the fact that Goodell went way overboard in fining a couple of players before that and might have been pressured even more to overdo it with Belichick and the Pats.

Look at how Bountygate has gone almost unmentioned this year. I bet Crygate still comes up more.

IMO, the biggest mistake that Bob Kraft has made since being owner was taking Goodell's penalty. There was never any proof that what was done gave the Patriots a competitive advantage.

Because Kraft did not fight it , it gives the sore losers and haters something to use. Not that I care that much.

Some people like A Smith need to blame someone or something for their failures. They can't accept the fact that they're just not good enough or prepared enough. The fact is the pats won their SBs legitimately, the rule about where a team tapes didn't go into effect until Aug or Sep. of 2007 a few years after the SB wins. But calling it cheating makes for good copy i.e. BSPN, and gives teams that lost to the Pats a scape goat (if you will) for losing. 'we would have won if the pats didn't cheat' is a lot easier to take than we weren't as good as the pats.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back