SOURCE:WEEI

SOURCE:Boston Sports Journal

SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
World Champs!
Tom Brady and the Patriots won their sixth championship on Sunday night after a tough defensive battle over the Rams.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

The top 20 TV shows of all time IMO

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by BobDigital, May 3, 2018.

1. BobDigital

BobDigital Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12,241
    So I watch more TV than I probably should but I do try to watch the right kind of TV as opposed to endless Friends reruns. I happen to think I'm a very good judge of what makes a great TV show and what doesn't. This is my personal list and I actually put some time and thought into it as this long winded opening shows. It isn't about pleasing anyone else and it doesn't fit into any one style of show. I intentionally leave a few sacred cows off because while they are often considered among the best I don't personally consider them worthy based on how I judge shows. Some of these shows will not be popular. You may have never even heard of a few and some probably won't fit your taste but i'd wager if you watched them you would see why they'd make this list.

Notable emissions not making my list are The Simpsons, Mad Men, Seinfeld, SNL, and many older 60s/70s comedy shows. They didn't make it for a number of reasons. One is that I hold a show accountable for EVERY EPISODE THEY MAKE. This doesn't mean you are disqualified for a few stinkers but you don't get to have sub par season after sub par season. Also I need to be able to say what separates your show from others. For shows like Seinfeld I get its niche was to be a sitcom about nothing but it didn't have an overall story or narrative to it. You don't get to just wear that flag proudly and say that's the point when the end result is fundamentally making you no different in some of the most important ways than any other sitcom. Even if you may be the best sitcom. Mad Men almost mirrors Lost; just instead of pulling backs layers of the island's mystery you pull back layers of Don Draper. By the end it has gone on way to long and you just don't care much.

I don't plan to address every show that didn't make it but I thought some of those should be pointed out. One final note before this list. Mini series are a separate thing than TV shows. I didn't include any because of that which is why things like Band of Brother or I Claudius are not on here. With no further Ado let's proceed.

#20 Moral Orel - On the surface this seems like nothing more than a shock value parody of Davey and Goliath. Actually this unappreciated claymation show is a very smart and funny satire of 1950s religious Americana. It would have been pretty good if it just stayed that but it chose to be more ambitious. Over the course of the story key moments come up and we see deeper and more depressing layers of each character. By the final 3rd season you are watching a very different show than episode 1. With only 15 or so minute episodes you could watch the entire series in less than a day if you wanted and you would never forget you watched it.

#19 The Sopranos - Often called the best show of all time. That is an overstatement to be honest. It was one of the first shows in the golden era of TV and so it got to build its reputation against a much weaker field. Not to mention being one of the first makes it more memorable. Frankly the show hasn't stood up as well as time has passed. It has a lot of episodes where it chases its tale. While I'll admit Tony Soprano is a good character, you don't need nearly 100 episodes for him. The side characters could've been better and it felt like you could've jumped from the end of season 1 to season 6 and not have miss much. That isn't a good sign. I don't care what anyone says, that ending was pretty bad.

#18 Justified - A very good show but it suffered for not having much of an over arching plot. It did get one later but if it doesn't start early enough it makes early episodes feel unneeded (which they were mostly). It did improve as it went on but it rarely hit the heights of other shows above it.

#17 Twin Peaks - There isn't much I can say to analyze this show. It really is more of an experience than anything else. It's more about how it feels than how the plot works. It does have an interesting plot and it's very different than any other TV show which gives it a lot of points for me. I like watching a show that doesn't retread the same old ground.

TBC

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018

2. BobDigital

Ratings:
    +12,241
    #16 Cowboy Bebop - If you bring up anime you usually get 2 reactions. Either that crap is for kids or people geeking out about their top 50 anime. I see it as a medium just like any other. Of the anime I've watched I believe only this one is worthy of making this list. The music is great, the characters are interesting and the story is tight. At times fairly hilarious and at other times heartbreaking. This is worth a watch even for an non-anime fan.

#15 Oz - The show that unfairly got ignored that actually started before the Sopranos. I get why it got ignored as a show about prison wouldn't have many uplifting moments or a particularly diverse cast gender wise. For my money it was better and the lead actor J.K. Simmons should have got just as much praise for his Vern IF NOT MORE than Gandolfini for his turn as Tony. Also it had a better ending. Not that that's a hard thing.

#14 Battlestar Galactica (2004 ver) - This show probably didn't need as many episodes as it had or so much fan service. However don't let that turn you against it. It better than any show I've seen so far, executes on its premise of asking the question of what really is humanity (and can it ever be synthetic)? Add in a very interesting side cast all things considered and a strong lead by Edward James Olmos and this certainly for my money deserves to make this list.

#13 Rick and Morty - Back to back sci fi shows and another animation no less. This is a great show for a number of reasons (and it's fairly obnoxious fan base is not one). While it is very funny and each episode has a chance to take you literally anywhere which is great; what causes this show to make this list is no other show i think has ever talked about the nature of life or existence as well as this one. While episodic in nature, everything that happens matters and it does connect to a loose but interesting plot.

#12 Deadwood - No show or movie has probably ever captured the old west like Deadwood. It felt real and truly unromanticized it and at the same time gave us a cast of great characters. There isn't much of an overarching plot here but you see the journey of a lot of characters and the town really feels alive.

#11 The Shield - A show that is often forgotten when bringing up top list but I don't know why. It didn't need to have as many seasons as it did to tell it's story but it does feel tight and everything that happens is meaningful. The ending is a great payoff for a very good journey.

TBC in the top 10.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  3. BobDigital

Ratings:
    +12,241
    #10 Boardwalk Empire - The best organized crime show of all time. It mixes in a lot of real characters with made up ones (as well as blurs the lines with characters who were based on real people). Don't watch this for full historical accuracy. There are a lot of great and memorably characters on here and it is one of the best acted shows ever (maybe the best acted). Several Oscar winners and nominees are in the cast and that shows. The dialogue is smart and it takes a fair amount of unexpected turns.

#9 Six Feet Under - I wish I could like this show more. I really do. I get why it was so highly rated and i loved how they did the final episode. Personally I just don't think enough was going on and the theme it tackled is always pretty easy when it comes to getting an emotional response. While I say that I want to be clear this is still a great show. Just not as good as some others is all.

#8 Fargo - I'm hesitant to put on ongoing show in my top 10 but frankly after 3 seasons of this quality I don't see how i can't. It could be argued this breaks my "mini series" rule but i disagree strongly. It could be debated which season is the best but all of them are great I think.

#7 Rome - I struggle on where to put this sometimes. This is the lowest it has gone ever but only because I've since seen other excellent shows and as years past a few flaws in this became more apparent to me. Very few. Against the backdrop of one of the most interesting historical periods in human history it is the 2 made up main characters that really steal the show and that is saying a lot. Nearly every actor in this show is great and I love how they did the historical characters as well.

#6 Rectify - A great show almost no one has watched it seems. A death row inmate is set free due to DNA evidence that disproves the prosecution's theory which put him away but doesn't prove he's innocent and the DA may not be done trying put him back in. At this points he has spent more of his life in prison than out. An off beat show that has almost a mythical odyssey feel at times. An interesting tidbit I noted: This is the only show on this list that feels somewhat feminine in it's inherent structure and story. The fact that there is only one is either telling of some bias I have or that shows which favor the feminine sensibility are very hard to make well.

#5 The Twilight Zone - It wasn't going to be all newer shows. This is easily the oldest show on this list but still holds up even today. Not many shows can do the self contained story and make it work well time after time with as many memorable episodes as this one. Sometimes uplifting, sometimes scary, sometimes sad but usually really entertaining. Many of the best episodes ever aired on any show are here. It sadly can't be higher than this because some episodes did fall flat and that has to count against it.

#4 Breaking Bad - There was push back against this show at times cause it got too famous and too much acclaim too fast. I understand why there was some push back and why it got the acclaim. There are some noticeable missteps and over the top moments here and there. Also at times it feels it treads the same ground more than twice. All that being said it deserves nearly all it's praise and wouldn't take out even a single episode. Also almost no show hits a scene out of the park like this one can.

#3 Game of Thrones - Just as a I say that here is a show which can hit it out of the park better. Game of Thrones is easily the most expensive show ever made but many of its best moments are the smaller ones. It's true it has become a bit more predictable as of late but it's hard to hold that against it as most stories to be wrapped up well need some predictability. Overall it's simply a can't miss show for spectacle as well as memorable characters and at times great writing and wonderfully structured story lines.

#2 The Wire - For a long time this was my #1 show of all time. While not usually entertaining in the traditional way it is probably the most mentally satisfying how ever made. If I am to be totally honest some episodes are a bit of a struggle to get through but you know the payoffs will be huge and you get absorbed before you know it. No show tackles a topic or ever will as well as this one tackled the American drug issue on all levels. So what beat it?

#1 The Americans - This show kept rising up the longer it went on. The first episode had a very different tone than the rest of the show and sets it up to be more action packed with bad ass spies. But it shifts very quickly after that to be an emotional drama and a story about marriage almost more than spying. I don't want to give too much away so just give it a watch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. everlong

everlong Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,188
    Breaking Bad is one of those shows like David Letterman where it seems I'm the only one who didn't like it but it's so overrated.

The Shield is probably #1 for me. One of the few shows that ended with me wanting more. Love Justified, GOT, Sopranos and The Americans. If I did my list I'd add in a few comedies I can still watch and LMAO at like All in the Family and The Odd Couple.

Arrested Development for it's shorter run might make it. In Living Color might make it as well. I'd need to rewatch it to see if it has the staying power I think it does.

I'll give it more consideration tomorrow when I'm more awake.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Boomer B

Boomer B Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,115
    1. Fawlty Towers
    2. The Sopranos
    3. Breaking Bad
    4. Seinfeld
    5. 24
    6. Narcos
    7. Daredevil
    8. Homeland
    9. The Simpsons (1st 8 years)
    10. Trailer Park Boys
    11. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    12. Spartacus
    13. All in the Family
    14. Cheers
    15. The Punisher
    16. The X-files
    17. Married...With Children
    18. Entourage
    19. Star Trek
    20. House of Cards

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,558
    My list could and probably will change in the next hour, so it's in no particular order after the Top 3. I also couldn't pick beyond these Top 16. The rest are either too short in their runs (e.g. Firefly), too long in their runs with brilliance turning to something less (The Simpsons) or still ongoing with potential (Westworld), so apply whatever four from that to round out the list.

1. Game of Thrones
    2. Breaking Bad
    3. The Americans
    -----------------------
    4. Narcos
    5. Luther
    6. Justified
    7. Seinfeld
    8. The Office (U.S.)
    9. Rick and Morty
    10. Chappelle Show
    11. Monty Python's Flying Circus
    12. The Wire
    13. The Sopranos
    14. The X-Files
    15. Star Trek: The Next Generation
    16. Fargo

Archer, The Simpsons, House of Cards, Firefly, Westworld, Arrested Development, Stranger Things

7. KontradictioN

KontradictioN The fix is in. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +45,466
    I’ve got to get on Season 2. Heard mixed reviews about Season 3. I’ve seen Season 1 twice over though. ***SPOILER for those who haven’t watched and plan to***

I just realized that Malvo foreshadows his own death when he sees Mr. Wrench in the hospital and he tells the strory about how he got his leg stuck in a bear trap, chewed the leg off, and died on his own terms up a stream.

8. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,558
    Season 2 was really good; very much worth it. Fargo would have been higher on my list had Season 3 been better. It wasn't bad, but it took a long time to get going and never really felt like it caught its rhythm. There are some very good acting performances, however, that elevate the show above the script.

9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +45,466
    I tried to get into season 3 but had a lot going on at work at the time and only watched 3 episodes. It seemed slow. I heard S2 was the best one though.

10. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,324
    i finished breaking bad. what a great show. i loved it. the ending was very sad.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +45,466
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You have to start watching Better Call Saul now. It’s not as good (BB is the GOAT, IMO), but still very well done.

• Like Like x 1
  12. captain insano

Ratings:
    +3,324
    i watched episode 1 today. the last three episodes of bb were gut-wrenching. walts entire life unraveled before his eyes.

13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +45,466
    Ozymandias was the most gut wrenching. Hank and then his family turning against him. He deserved it though. Walt became a complete monster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. captain insano

Ratings:
    +3,324
    he did. and yet i still felt sorry for him. and pinkmans gf getting shot in the head was brutal. and him losing it in the car was intense. ill watch it over again in 6 months or so. I wish they cranked out another season or two. so whats the deal with BCS? does the show pre-date bb? or is it post bb?

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +45,466
    Yeah the whole end of that show was a mindfuck. BCS mostly pre-dates BB. The black and white scenes where he’s working in a mall in Omaha are post-BB when he’s in hiding though.

Anyway, now that you’ve seen it, this is the best recap of the show that I’ve seen. Enjoy the chills...

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. maust1013

maust1013 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8,112
    Kudos on a very well thought out list. It's seldom on anyone's list I see Rome or Boardwalk Empire get anywhere near the credit they deserve. The acting, attention to detail and in series continuity of both shows puts them in my personal stratosphere for period dramas. It would have taken me days to winnow down the 50-60 shows that didn't make the top 10 just to decide on numbers 11-20 but my top ten are...

10. Game of Thrones. Machiavelli meets the Borgias finished with a Shakespeare sauce and a side of Aeschylus with a dollop of Robert E Howard. And if the dynastic style politics and betrayal aren't enough it has beautiful bodies, magnificent sets, the occasional knowing humor and every so often there's some great acting. Oh yeah, just to give it all some funk there's dragons and undead.

9. Homeland. Fast forward/dead stop, the world of intelligence and counter intelligence as seen through the eyes of an unreliable schizophrenic narrator who alternately masters it professionally and is undone by it personally. Claire Danes makes her manic Carrie compelling, confusing, and at times even frightening yet somehow sympathetic. As good as Mandy Patinkin was in the early (and worthwhile) version of Criminal Minds and as cool as his Inigo Montoya was, he is Saul.

8. The Sopranos. I can't help but wonder if this show would have been all it became had one of the original leads not passed away early. As originally conceived it was going to be a story about a mobster in therapy due to his relationship with his mother. Nancy Marchand's passing necessitated a change up that set up the main character as a sun in a solar system populated with an amazing supporting cast that was completely dependent on him who by turn either resented or respected it but all the while they confined and crushed him within their orbit forcing his inevitable yet guilt ridden counter actions.

7. Star Trek. At it's best it was Shakespeare in space, morality plays, the duality of existence and both the burden and mask of command. At it's occasional worst it was pedantic and preachy. But it brought science fiction to the small screen in a way that impacted and helped pave the way for almost everything in the small screen version of the genre since. It also became an ongoing multi-generational and multi-cultural touchstone. Not bad for an under budgeted show that only ran for 3 years.

6 /5. Rome and Boardwalk Empire, a dead tie for two series that share the same strengths. Both are brilliantly crafted historical period dramas with an attention to detail that is absolutely remarkable and ensemble casts that while impressive separately together add up to so much more than the sum of their parts. The casting in both series is spot on.

4. The Twilight Zone. Best anthology series of all time

3. All In The Family. There's little I could say about this show that hasn't been said through the years but it is undeniable we could use a show like it today. one that makes us laugh at ourselves while at the same time confronting our failings without bitterness, shame or blame.

2. The Americans. It's hard to adequately describe to anyone that hasn't watched this show that a show built on a Cold War spy premise is really a fascinating take on interpersonal relationships, family dynamic, moral imperative vs situational ambiguity and the nature of love inside the institution of marriage. Who really is this spouse next to me and how well do they know the stranger inside me? Can a supposed 'greater good' that requires the destruction of my soul and the offering up of my family really be a good? The portrayal of one of the primary character's crisis of identity juxtaposed against a spouse who willingly sacrifices their own is riveting. It is as well cast, directed and acted as anything ever brought to the small screen

1. The Wire. As unflinching a presentation of all it's character's, warts and all, as any ensemble show ever televised. Even relatively minor characters have a backstory that gives an insight into what motivates them to be who and what they are. There is very little black & white in the gray world The Wire brings us into which is hardly what you'd expect given the subject matter. It's just so very well done.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Boomer B

Boomer B Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,115
    I don’t get HBO as part of my cable package. In Vancouver here I pay around $200 a month for cable/home phone/internet package and also get Netflix.

Reading this thread makes me realize how many great shows I’ve missed. Never seen Game of Thrones, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, or The Americans.

18. maust1013

Ratings:
    +8,112
    Wow, I didn't even realize until I read your post that 5 of my top ten are HBO shows. The Americans is an FX show, I think their app might allow you to catch it.

19. BobDigital

Ratings:
    +12,241
    I like the detail you gave. Since you put some explanation into your list you I can tell you my thoughts on it more deeply. First of all I did enjoy Homeland for a while. However as it went on the quality dropped IMO and that is why it didn't make my list. I think the first season is one of the best debut seasons a TV show ever had. I enjoyed season 2 a lot as well. FYI if you like intelligence based shows I would recommend Rubicon, though it only lasted 1 season and it was a bit too slow burn at times even for me.

As for All in the Family it actually almost made my list. I consider it the best sitcom ever made as unlike others it seems each episode has something to say. That to me is the difference between this very funny sitcom and others. If I were to argue any sitcom is better it would actually be Family Ties and not Seinfeld which while funny leaves us with laughs but nothing else. I wouldn't argue that though. I give it to All in the Family by a good margin.

Star Trek and ST:TNG are both shows I considered but in the end they just didn't have the consistency telling engrossing stories that I needed. Still both could be argued and I'm not surprised to see them mentioned.

I loved your breakdown of The Americans. You said it better than me. I hope that show is remembered for the great show it is after the last 2 episodes air. A lot of people still haven't watched it. Overall tough I thought you had good reasoning on placing shows where you did.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  20. maust1013

Ratings:
    +8,112
    Homeland lost it's way last season, almost as though the writers forgot their bible. Characters whose intelligence was their hallmark made inexplicably stupid decisions not under the exigencies of the moment as we had at times seen in the past but simply because the writers needed them to in order to get things that were nonsensical to happen. If this season hadn't completely righted the ship and then some the debacle that was last season would have kept this show out of my top 50 never mind top 10. When a show you've come to respect urinates on your buy in like that it can be hard to forgive. The world of intelligence/counter intelligence isn't the main draw to me in this show but at it's best it is chillingly believable. The true draw of that show is the acting talent, an absolute tour de force.

All In The Family continues to resonate with me because it held up a mirror to our society from the cozy confines of a casual bigot's blue collar living room, it challenged us just as it challenged Archie to be better and made real change happen in our society. A small screen Blazing Saddles, set in Queens. Seinfeld's mirror was aimed back at the cast, reflecting vapidness and self interest. It had it's moments but I agree with you at the end of the day it was fluff, funny is entertaining but to be great it needs to be about something. Family Ties had some episodes where it rose above being the Michael J Fox show and handled some powerful issues in a meaningful way but it also produced some sadly indulgent stretches.

ST TNG just took too long to find itself, the first 2 years were some seriously weak stuff. ST TOS on the other hand found it's weaker episodes largely as the result of the budget constraints it was being choked with, some bad episodes were made simply because they were cheap to produce but overall it is hard to hold that against it considering everything else it brought to the table.

The Americans could have been a signature series for FX. That it isn't the most talked about show on the air is just further proof the marketing and scheduling people at that outfit should all be serving Happy Meals or bagging groceries.

The shows I struggled the most with placing was GOT since it's inclusion pushed Breaking Bad off my list. When I began thinking of shows it was one of the first to come to mind so I felt I had to include it in my top 10 even though in the past 2 seasons it has at times fractured it's own logic to near the breaking point. Time and it's constraints in a world that moves on hoofs or feet used to be part and parcel of the shows storytelling now it apparently is bent at will. The best shows stay true to their in universe conditions and characters. Rome and Boardwalk Empire work not because their characters don't do stupid things but rather because those things make sense out of the character doing them instead of a writer needing something to happen and having the character do it with no thought to continuity.

• Like Like x 1