PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "Terrible" Towels

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunzoburns

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Quite possibly the worst gimmick in pro football fandom. It’s about as fresh and edgy as the “Tomahawk Chop.” I swear every Steelers fan brought them to the game last night.

Hey Steelers fans, the 1970’s called and they want their towels back…maybe you can use them to dry your tears?

Last edited:
Quite possibly the worst gimmick in pro football fandom. It’s about as fresh and edgy as the “Tomahawk Chop.” I swear every Steelers fan brought them to the game last night.

Hey Steelers fans, the 1970’s called and they want their towels back…maybe you can use them to dry your tears?

It's for the mud in their eyes.

It is their thing. I don't see a problem with them.

C'mon, Gino, you're getting soft and flabby in your old age. And you should have corrected Gil last night that it was Gaffney who caught the flea flicker pass, not Stallworth. Gotta pick up your game late in the season.

I've always been somewhat perplexed by the whole Terrible Tampon thing. For such a storied, blue collar, grind-it-out city/team it sure is real gimicky.

lol cant say much to that. Poor Gino was a great Patriot though.

And for the record, the day Gil and Gino stop doing the broadcasts will be a very sad day indeed. Whenever I hear radio clips from other teams' broadcasts, the more grateful I am that we have the two of them.

And for the record, the day Gil and Gino stop doing the broadcasts will be a very sad day indeed. Whenever I hear radio clips from other teams' broadcasts, the more grateful I am that we have the two of them.

What you don't like the guy who does the Stillers? "Hey Belichick, he's for real! Big Ben's for real!"

I've always been somewhat perplexed by the whole Terrible Tampon thing. For such a storied, blue collar, grind-it-out city/team it sure is real gimicky.
I know. They should really be pouring molten steel on the opposing team's bench, instead.

I don't have a problem with it. As a fan of any other team though, it certainly is easy to poke fun of it as white flags, tear-dryers, etc.

But if I was a Steelers fan at Heinz Field and saw tens of thousands of people waving flags in unison, I'd think it was pretty cool.

A lot of other teams have adopted it outside of football (see 2007 teams that played against the Red Sox) and I don't know if the Steelers originated the phenomenon, but it's their thing. The Jets have their thing own thing, the Seahawks have that ceremonious raising of the 12th man flag, etc.

I don't know. Call it gimmicky or whatever, but at least the fans are on the same page. Up until last night when the fans were chanting "MVP/guarantee" I don't recall a time this year when our fans have done anything better.

I don't like the terrible towel, I hate it. But if I put myself in the shoes of a Steelers fan, I'd pride myself on it as part of the fanhood tradition.

Thousands of terrible towels twirling in unison at Heinz ... cool

Thousands of fans throwing up snow in unison at the Razor ... wicked cool

There just no comparison

Hey, if it gets/keeps the crowd involved, I think it's great. Wish we had something to keep the level up during the home games.

I think it's great too. They are crying after every pats game so it really helps the grieving process

Leaving the game last night I heard chants of "Light it up! Light it up!" Initially I was thinking people were referring to a postgame cigar or other smokable object, but it was really a terrible towel which was lit on fire as I walked by.

Well they had their little towlies handy to wipe their tears after their team got whupped by the Pats!! :singing:

I don't care for them, but it's their thing.

What I can't (or couldn't) stand from Steeler fans was every season having to hear that this would be "the one for the thumb." I was cheering for the Seahawks in XL, but Pittsburgh winning may have been a blessing in disguise.

Last edited:
I think it's the most cliched thing in the world.I don't know who originated it, but even if it was the Steelers, it's been copied so many times and has become so lame that even if it's originally theirs that doesn't make it any better.

Remember those long crowd shots of fans waving towels in Cleveland and Colorado in the MLB playoffs/World Series? Fox was so in love with that shot.

Leaving the game last night I heard chants of "Light it up! Light it up!" Initially I was thinking people were referring to a postgame cigar or other smokable object, but it was really a terrible towel which was lit on fire as I walked by.

Ha! We "lit one up" before the AFCCG in 2005. SteelerFan was NOT pleased.

Hey, if it gets/keeps the crowd involved, I think it's great. Wish we had something to keep the level up during the home games.

i agree with you

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye