PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Stephon Gilmore Free Agency Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In the last few years, has there been a better "big splash" free agent signing than this one? There are lots of great signings on lower cost players, but when is the last time a team paid elite money like the Patriots did in 2017 and still came away with great value from the signing? You can be sure if Gilmore were a free agent right now he would be at $16M and probably higher.

Here are the top paid corners in the NFL (take note of #3, who is currently benched after an abysmal season in 2018.)
  • 1. Dolphins - Xavien Howard: $15.1 million
  • 2. Redskins - Josh Norman: $15 million
  • 3. Jets - Trumaine Johnson: $14.5 million (lololol)
  • 4. Vikings - Xavier Rhodes: $14 million
  • 5. Cardinals - Patrick Peterson: $14 million***
  • 6. Bears - Kyle Fuller: $14 million
  • 7. Falcons - Desmond Trufant: $13.8 million
  • 8. Jaguars - A.J. Bouye: $13.5 million
  • 9. Patriots - Stephon Gilmore: $13 million
  • 10. Giants - Janoris Jenkins: $12.5 million
Others of relevance who are not far away:

Malcolm Butler - $12M
Logan Ryan - $10M

***Huge cheater who disrespected the game of football and all of humanity

Love Gilmore. He's team first and has matured since Buffalo. He wants to win and you can't blame him.

I was flat out wrong about this signing. I was skeptical due to him being up and down in Buffalo and never quite reaching super star level.

This signing came out of left field the first day or so of free agency and BB hit the jack pot.

Trumaine Johnson was trash with the Rams and I’m not even sure if he’s playing for the Jets right now.

Good grief what the hell were the jets thinking lmao

I was flat out wrong about this signing. I was skeptical due to him being up and down in Buffalo and never quite reaching super star level.

This signing came out of left field the first day or so of free agency and BB hit the jack pot.

Trumaine Johnson was trash with the Rams and I’m not even sure if he’s playing for the Jets right now.
Johnson played 8 snaps vs us.

Hes has 13 tackles this year. Hes done basically nothing,

I remember the Bills fans saying how overrated Gilmore was....

Name a bigger win on a top tier FA signing than Gilmore.

So I'm not really big into calling people out but as good as Gilmore is I think a number of people deserve that for all their rage howling about his contract when he was still trying to fit into our system.

What does it matter, though, people who were unwilling to be patient with a new guy for 4 whole games aren't exactly the sort to take a step back and try to learn from the experience. They just move on to howling about the next thing never sparing a moment for self-analysis.

In 3 years when Gunner is a major contributor all the people who bizarrely want him cut now will be singing his praises with nary a second thought for ****ting on him now.

Name a bigger win on a top tier FA signing than Gilmore.

For one who wasn’t a re-signing by his old team, I’m struggling. The success rate is very low to win those deals with the cap cost considered. Anyone?

Best signing of BB's era - I know Im not a long time fan - :rolleyes: -, but think about the situation of the game today

Premium Shutdown corners are THE most valuable asset on today's game, when you cant touch the QB anymore; Im talking Revis level stuff, erasing one side of the field in some game. Personally i think they are way more valuable than Pass-Rushers nowadays.

And so, when has BB has ever dipped onto a premium position and NAILED IT? And to play on a HoF-er level (I mean if Revis has a shot, Gilmore IF HE KEEPS THIS UP - i dont think im exaggerating, by any metric, he is top notch) for, at least 1 year and half (it took sometime to adjust) is incredible.

And Im talking about FA signings, not drafts

He's exceeded expectations with the clutch factor. The INT in last year's SB, caused an INT in the Eagles SB that woke us up, broke up the 4th down pass in the Jaguars AFCC on the game's biggest play. Hard to think of any defender in this run who's made that many huge postseason plays in a 2 year span, maybe Rodney in 03/04. Great and clutch, a rare quality.

For one who wasn’t a re-signing by his old team, I’m struggling. The success rate is very low to win those deals with the cap cost considered. Anyone?

You could go back to Deion Sanders, who seemed to make a Super Bowl winner back and forth between Dallas and SF.

Revis wasn't bad.

But for length of service Gilmore is the best I can think of.

2018 Gilmore

44% Comp
65.2 rating
1st team all-pro

2016 Butler

56.2% Comp
78.2 rating
2nd team all-pro

2014 Revis

51.8% Comp
74.7 rating
1st team all-pro

2013 Talib

54.7% Comp
75.8 rating
2nd team all-pro

The team's had alot of great CBs since the team switched to more man coverage & Gilmore is the best of the bunch.

I’d love to re-visit Gilmore thread after he signed

I remember the Bills fans saying how overrated Gilmore was....
In fairness to Bills fans, he never played to this level with them. I recall a few games where the Pats beat him over the top and thinking to myself hmmmmmm, not sure about this one. Shows BB the GM has half a clue about how to coach up talent.

In fairness to Bills fans, he never played to this level with them. I recall a few games where the Pats beat him over the top and thinking to myself hmmmmmm, not sure about this one. Shows BB the GM has half a clue about how to coach up talent.

Or Bill recognized that Buffalo's coaching was just crappy and Gilmore is finally playing to his potential...

in that clip the BB point is really cool

I remember when the Patriots signed him, my good friend was like "dude. He's my favorite cb. The Patriots are going to make him the best."

It has been nearly two and a half seasons of Gilmore and I'm confident that he has done enough to make it to Patriots HOF. In addition to this season, if he add another All-Pro season, he might make it to the HOF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes