PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Seymour trade one month later

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelizePats

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
At the time of the trade I thought it was a great deal for us. Now, a month in, its looking even better. Oakland is still awful and dysfunctional with little if any long term plan for the franchises future. It looks like we'll be getting a player in the 3-8 range, in what is quite possibly a rookie slotted salary structure.
Seymour was awesome for us and I'm grateful for all he did for the team. But there was no way we were going to resign him for 2010. ZERO CHANCE
What I like about BB is he's always balancing the long term health of the franchise with what going on the field right now.
Can anyone really say that we are missing Seymour right now?
I'm pretty happy with what I've seen out of the D so far and the youth movement is paying off.
A excellent trade in my books.

We're doomed.

I'm happy with it, as I was. I'm tempted to wish it was this year's #1 but I get the money thing. Felger was arguing before that we'd have been better off getting a #2 in the past draft (at least we'd get something to help us now) which seemed a little weird given that we have 4 #2s from that draft on our roster, it's not like we needed more picks last year.

How can anyone possibly predict the draft range for the pick? Don't they have to finish this season and next before the draft takes place? It's futile to make predictions as teams can drastically differ from year to year.

Yes, I was happy with the trade at the time; and still happy now. Happier? Not sure about that. It was the best decision to make at that time.

Too early to tell. We're 3-1 and playing good defense without Seymour, so I'm optimistic. But we could easily miss his presence down the stretch, and it's not entirely impossible that his loss could make the difference between a SB win and a loss. In that case I'd probably say it wasn't a great trade.

Let's see how it looks at the end of this season, and then in April 2011.

How can anyone possibly predict the draft range for the pick? Don't they have to finish this season and next before the draft takes place? It's futile to make predictions as teams can drastically differ from year to year.
It's not hard to take a good guess if you look at their records since 2002.

Unless the Patriots win the Super Bowl this season, it was a bad trade. The time in between doesn't matter.

Unless the Patriots win the Super Bowl this season, it was a bad trade. The time in between doesn't matter.

Last time we played one with him we lost. And there was the 3 years in which we didn't play in one...

I'm eternally grateful to Bob Kraft for hiring a guy who has the courage of his own convictions and knows how to balance long and short term goals and doesn't listen to the arm chair fan base and media.

But that assumes Seymour would have been the difference ... which is impossible to know. If we were stuck in a 3-4 your opinion holds more weight ... but we're not stuck in any formation anymore.

BS. Can you prove that if Seymour was still here we'd absolutely win the SB? Of course not. But you've been whining about this trade from the second it happened, so this is not exactly a surprise.

But that assumes Seymour would have been the difference ... which is impossible to know. If we were stuck in a 3-4 your opinion holds more weight ... but we're not stuck in any formation anymore.
And what about if the draftee we get helps us win a SB in, say, 2013 ?

BS. Can you prove that if Seymour was still here we'd absolutely win the SB? Of course not. But you've been whining about this trade from the second it happened, so this is not exactly a surprise.

Given that I wasn't the one posting the thread, perhaps you should take it with that person. And you're right, I've never liked the trade. That hasn't changed, and it won't unless the team wins the Super Bowl. Anything else and this is a bad trade.

Last edited:
Given that I wasn't the one posting the thread, perhaps you should take it with that person. And you're right, I've never liked the trade. That hasn't changed, and it won't unless the team wins the Super Bowl. Anything else and this is a bad trade.

:rolleyes: Anything not to acknowledge BB just may know more than you, I see.

That's craziness given that we'll get a (very likely) high draft pick for 5-6 years. Would you take one year of Seymour with an increased but not for sure chance at the SB or 5-6 years of, say, Mayo ?

You are a great source of entertainment, I'll give you that.

And what about if the draftee we get helps us win a SB in, say, 2013 ?

Yup ... right on.

The bottom line is if Bill stays on his heels and just accepts the standard draft picks year after year then he's not playing to his strength. Given enough gambles over time Belichick will win more than he loses in personel moves and we have seen this.

Some members here take the 3 Super Bowl victories for granted. Belichick gambled a few times to help us get those, we didn't win them by Bill being passive in the personell department. I like it when Belichick is in the shotgun going for it.

:rolleyes: Anything not to acknowledge BB just may know more than you, I see.

Yes, that's exactly it, and that's why I made this post a long time back:

1.) It's too high a pick for Mayo

2.) How many Tennessee linebackers are excelling in the NFL?

3.) Clady was available. He's now in Denver. That's a bad thing.

As I said, I'm torn. I trust Belioli, but I think this pick sucks. My guess is that Belioli's superior knowledge makes this the right move, and that history will prove that. It doesn't mean I have to like it right now.

You're spot on, here, really. It's all about me refusing to acknowledge that Belichick knows than I do when it comes to this stuff, despite my explicitly noting that he knows more with the words "superior knowledge". :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Deus Irae
1.) It's too high a pick for Mayo

2.) How many Tennessee linebackers are excelling in the NFL?

3.) Clady was available. He's now in Denver. That's a bad thing.

As I said, I'm torn. I trust Belioli, but I think this pick sucks. My guess is that Belioli's superior knowledge makes this the right move, and that history will prove that. It doesn't mean I have to like it right now.

You're spot on, here, really. It's all about me refusing to acknowledge that Belichick knows than I do when it comes to this stuff, despite my explicitly noting that he knows more with the words "superior knowledge".

Well the pick of Mayo WAS horrible, because the Pats didn't win the Super Bowl last year! ROFLMAO!

:D :D :D

Last edited:
That's craziness given that we'll get a (very likely) high draft pick for 5-6 years. Would you take one year of Seymour with an increased but not for sure chance at the SB or 5-6 years of, say, Mayo ?

It's not 1 year of Seymour versus 6, or 16, years of Mayo. It's a minimum of 1 year of Seymour, PLUS the option of retaining him another year or letting him go and gaining a compensatory pick, which would likely be a 3rd round pick, versus a first round pick 2 seasons removed.

And, yes, given the recent stretch of non Lombardi seasons, coupled with the fact that the team already has gotten extra players from this past year's draft and extra draft picks for next season's draft, tossed in with the reality of Brady getting older, I'd take the Seymour side of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down