SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Mon
Oct 21st
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Stellar Performance
Another strong performance by the defense leads to points and played a key role as the Patriots improved to 6-0 Thursday night.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

The Pacific

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by KontradictioN, Feb 13, 2010.

1. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    I have not seen the show yet and won't yet for a while, but when I first heard about it I was very excited. SS, TH and HBO do things right!
    Why it won't be/isn't as good as BoB:
    BoB followed a particular unit (2-506) and let the viewer get to know them, almost be a part of them while it sounds like TP follows a few individuals and just tells their stories, jumping back and forth? Also the European theater will always be the "face" of WW2. I would draw a similarity to today's war on terror. When someone says "I just got back from war" more often than not, it is assumed you were in Iraq, even though Afghanistan has been going on longer. Even though Japan attacked us and we dropped nukes on them, names like Omaha Beach and Battle of the Bulge will always steal the spotlight so to speak.
    Plus, BoB came first and was so.. original, so unlike anything we've ever seen before, so raw, so real. Obviously there were some Hollywood moments, but hearing the stories from the mouths of the men who were there. Wow.
    BoB in my mind will forever be one of the greatest pieces of cinema ever created, and the people it was about will forever truly be the greatest generation.

2. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4
    ---
    Spielberg has took liberties with his war accounts before in Private Ryan. He admits that though and thats what we expect from Hollywood. David Ayer on the other hand wont be trying it anytime soon after U571. The boy was nearly crying apologising to British vets here.

3. Koma

Koma In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,595
    ---
    24 Emmy nominations for The Pacific.

Certainly deserved, but it almost feels like HBO has buried this series to a degree. For example, they re-ran the entire series over 2 days on Memorial Day weekend, but they didn't do it on the primary HBO channel. It was on one of the multiple "extra" HBO channels. Since then, I haven't seen any episodes being re-aired and it's not available OnDemand any more.

It's only been a few months since it wrapped up, but I couldn't imagine Band of Brothers getting this treatment.

4. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32,139
    ---
    I'd like to see Spielberg or someone do a big-budget film on the WWII North Atlantic naval campaign. A re-telling of the Bismarck saga would be cool.

5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly NFL Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +8,940
    ---
    They're building anticipation for the Christmas DVD release.

6. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,940
    ---
    I'm partial to seeing something on the Africa/Italy campaign.

7. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    Africa has been covered so much by so many good films I don't think they have much left that hasn't been featured yet...Patton, Big Red One, Sahara(the Bogart version) to name a few. Maybe one about the battle of El Alamein but other than that I don't see much need for more coverage.

Italy has some battles that haven't seen too much coverage. I'd love one about the 10th Mountain Division made considering their role in recent warfare...

8. efin98

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    Release date is November 2nd...could have waited a bit and released it on the 11th for Veterans Day or the 14th for the Marine Corps Birthday.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  9. efin98

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    Good idea, especially if they have perspective from a member of the Bismark, a member of the HMS Hood, and from one of the pilots from the HMS Ark Royal.

10. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,940
    ---
    The oversaturation of the European campaign in film didn't inhibit the production of BoB, nor did it affect the way people viewed it.

I'm not overly familiar with any recent (and good) films on the African campaign. It's been a good, long time.

Agreed.

11. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,940
    ---
    I tend to agree, and I think that a November 2 release date is trying to capitalize on early Christmas shoppers and viewers who would want to buy the DVD for viewing on Veteran's Day or the USMC b-day. Either way, the lack of play on HBO right now is definitely an attempt to build anticipation for the DVD release.

12. taltos

taltos Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    November 10 might work better for the Marine Corps Birthday but otherwise I agree with you.

13. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,940
    ---
    :ugh:

Thanks, don't know how I f'ed that up.

14. efin98

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    Crap, I always thought it was the 14th :bricks:

15. efin98

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    BoB managed to find angles of their use in the battles that hadn't been covered especially D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge and the entire Germany/Austria/end of war episodes.

Since you asked about films set in the campaign there was a Czech film about Tobruk based on the experiences of Czech soldiers done two years ago, 2006 Italian film about El Alamein, "The English Patient" in 1996 taking place in Tobruk, a remake of "Sahara" done in 1995, "The Tuskegee Airmen" done in 1995 covering the end of the air war there, 1990 "A Man Called Sarge" set in multiple locations just to count a few...

Like I said other than El Alamein I believe this part of the war has been covered pretty well. El Alamein, for a major battle that turned the tide of the war in Africa essentially giving half of the region to the Allies is due a film.

But I am still quite sure that I'd rather see one made about Italy especially one regarding the 10th Mountain Division and their efforts. Most of the rest of Italy has been featured in movies for years but northern Italy in the mountains hasn't seen too much coverage from my view...