PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL PatsFans draftniks 2014 NFL Draft thread***

How do you know he hasn't fully recovered his first step? They've had doctors examine him. What have you got?

I agree, in situations like this you have to trust they have done their homework. Does it mean they are always right, nope, but they have the information and we don't. I like Easely and i am fine with the pick but they are definitely sticking their necks out, especially after the Ras I-Dowling experience. I am guessing that when they looked at the risk/reward and compared it with the other players they were looking at they felt he was worth the chance, as Nix, ASJ, Hagemann, and others also had risks associated with them. I'm still hopeful they can re-position themselves for one of the players we were hoping for but we will see?

And as far as looking for proof that Belichick is changing the metrics for his defenders this certainly goes down as evidence he is trending that way.

Bill should've accepted Minnesota's offer of 40 & 108. I seriously doubt that Seattle would've taken Easley at 32 with Hageman, Jernigan, Tuitt & Nix all still available at DT and Ealy, Attaochu & Lawence at DE/OLB.

Bill blinked, plain & simple.

Blinking would have been taking that crappy offer. Had Belichick dropped to 40 for the #108 I would have been seriously pissed off, only a complete moron would do that.

They must have liked Easely as Nix and Hagemann were still on the board. They either arent worried about his ACL injury or they consider his upside big enough to risk it. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Watch the video, cap'n. It's clear as day, and every Seahawks writer confirms it. It's fine to not like the pick, but it's fiction to say that Easley would have been available at #40.

Are you referring to the Ray-Ray video above, or some other one?

Still feeling vulnerable after the Card's Bucannon Heist. I would've bet money he would be there till at least the mid second round.

The Cards' D will be better, but they still need help on offense.
Had they not taken Buchannon, then he would've been right behind Bitonio & Kony Ealy on my Best Pats Available list at 29.

Still feeling vulnerable after the Card's Bucannon Heist. I would've bet money he would be there till at least the mid second round.
I have no idea what they are going to do for saftey now, but Chung is probably doing a happy dance

I wonder what the rub is on Ealy and Robinson? I would've traded up for either, or stayed put and let Terrence Brooks fall into my lap. There would still be well-regarded QBs in the 3rd.

I still can't imagine trading Mallett without seeing whether Garoppolo can get the job done.

It's no Duron Harmon, I think Garoppolo is a good player, but I don't see this as the prudent move for this team.

Er, I named my thread when it was in the main forum, without conscious reference to this thread. Just in case any of you guys read it and got pissed off. (From the world "draftnik.")

It's no Duron Harmon, I think Garoppolo is a good player, but I don't see this as the prudent move for this team.

Eh, put on your homer glasses and smile. We'll see. He's no Cliff Kingsbury... did I spell that right?

Love the Garoppolo pick but not where they got him. They should have drafted either OL or S with the 2nd and gotten Garoppolo with the 3rd. Not understanding the urgency for a QB that would have been there later on. Having said that I love the idea that they've targeted a QB for the future. Very important given Brady's age.

Love the Garoppolo pick but not where they got him. They should have drafted either OL or S with the 2nd and gotten Garoppolo with the 3rd. Not understanding the urgency for a QB that would have been there later on. Having said that I love the idea that they've targeted a QB for the future. Very important given Brady's age.

From reports I've heard, the Pats really like Garropolo but Houston was planning on taking him a few picks later "or trading for Mallett". So I guess BB kinda forced the issue. I hope if we trade Mallett it's for something good (conditionally) next year.

I'm surprised that there's some element of surprise. Not that I was expecting Garoppolo necessarily but we have said several times that it was notable how many QB and late round guys they brought in. And here we are with a QB and 7 picks in the last 3 rounds. And it's still a deep draft.

And as far as looking for proof that Belichick is changing the metrics for his defenders this certainly goes down as evidence he is trending that way.

Unless they're planning on Easely mainly splitting snaps with Nink at LDE. And playing inside occasionally like Mike Wright and Dan Klecko used to. Then eventually taking that LDE spot.

Easely may represent the wave of future at DT. But not necessarily IMO.

Its very obvious that the patriots have an idea of what they are doing that we as fans have no clue about, which is why all this speculation about the draft is kinda funny.

I wonder what the rub is on Ealy and Robinson? I would've traded up for either, or stayed put and let Terrence Brooks fall into my lap. There would still be well-regarded QBs in the 3rd.

I still can't imagine trading Mallett without seeing whether Garoppolo can get the job done.

Most people didn't until the Pats drafted him. Go look at the thread I started on Bridgewater (which ultimately turned into a discussion about whether or not the Pats should take a QB high) and look at how many of those people disagreed with that notion a few weeks ago. Now that the team has done it, it's of course being lauded as a great decision in the main forum. When asked to defend their position, most go with the logical fallacy of an appeal to authority. The Pats had a lot of other guys they could have looked at there at positions of immediate need and instead took a QB that carved up soft shells against non-elite competition for one year of his college career and looks to be a better fit for the WCO. Hope I'm wrong and would love to eat my words, but the Pats should have went elsewhere there.

I do like what they did on the OL, though.

Most people didn't until the Pats drafted him. Go look at the thread I started on Bridgewater (which ultimately turned into a discussion about whether or not the Pats should take a QB high) and look at how many of those people disagreed with that notion a few weeks ago. Now that the team has done it, it's of course being lauded as a great decision in the main forum. When asked to defend their position, most go with the logical fallacy of an appeal to authority. The Pats had a lot of other guys they could have looked at there at positions of immediate need and instead took a QB that carved up soft shells against non-elite competition for one year of his college career and looks to be a better fit for the WCO. Hope I'm wrong and would love to eat my words, but the Pats should have went elsewhere there.

I definitely expected a QB, based on Mallet's contract situation and the QB contact prior to the draft. They also have a history of picking these guys in the 3rd-4th rounds (Mallet in 2011, O'Connell in 2008, Davey in 2002) and I wasn't happy any of those times, but I had resigned myelf to the fact that it would likely happen again. Never did I really guess it would be in the 2nd round, though. At least not until McGinest reached the podium, when an awful feeling came over me, and I turned to my wife and said, "I have a bad feeling they're taking a QB here, I just don't know which one." I blame myself for this.... for convincing my wife into letting me watch Day 2 on the big screen! :)

After further reflection, I've talked myself into being more ok with it than before. At Brady's age now, he's more likely to get hurt than ever before, and I'm not sure if we can count on lightening striking again like it did with him and to a lesser extent Cassel. And I've been assuming Brady plans on completing his contract, when in fact he might be a 2 and out. If the staff really likes this guy (and all the stuff I've seen on him has been mostly positive), then I guess I'm ok with it. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'm not going to be angry for weeks like I was with the O'Connell pick.

As for the rest of the draft, 4 months ago after the AFC Championship loss, I wanted the team to focus almost exclusively on the offensive line interior, the defensive line in general, and either a move TE or a TE that at least has some pass-catching ability. Over the last 4 months and getting further away from that game, I talked myself into a whole bunch of other needs, like a big WR who could play inside and out, like an outside press corner who could help out in case of injury, like a coverage LB who could also play SS and serve as both a Collins backup and as someone who could free Collins up to take on more flexible roles.

Here we are now after the draft, and the only DBs and WRs taken were slot guys, and no TEs were taken, so I'm feeling a big Meh. 4 months ago, except for the TE issue, I would have loved this draft. Heck, Stork was viewed as one of the top centers on this draft board in November/December before Richburg and Martin were even in the picture, so I would have loved that even more. Obviously I'm really hoping that my initial instincts back then were correct and that I've overanalyzed things in the meantime. And at the end of the day, the most important thing is if they picked the right guys - that these players can be solutions to the teams' issues and not perpetuate the problems. Only time will tell.

As for the rest of the draft, 4 months ago after the AFC Championship loss, I wanted the team to focus almost exclusively on the offensive line interior, the defensive line in general, and either a move TE or a TE that at least has some pass-catching ability. Over the last 4 months and getting further away from that game, I talked myself into a whole bunch of other needs, like a big WR who could play inside and out, like an outside press corner who could help out in case of injury, like a coverage LB who could also play SS and serve as both a Collins backup and as someone who could free Collins up to take on more flexible roles.

Here we are now after the draft, and the only DBs and WRs taken were slot guys, and no TEs were taken, so I'm feeling a big Meh. 4 months ago, except for the TE issue, I would have loved this draft. Heck, Stork was viewed as one of the top centers on this draft board in November/December before Richburg and Martin were even in the picture, so I would have loved that even more. Obviously I'm really hoping that my initial instincts back then were correct and that I've overanalyzed things in the meantime. And at the end of the day, the most important thing is if they picked the right guys - that these players can be solutions to the teams' issues and not perpetuate the problems. Only time will tell.
You're feeling a big meh because it's a meh draft :). I like that they're moving to more beef along the interior OL, though. It's because of a few things...

1. Dante retiring.

2. The rest of the league going small and fast to defend against the spread. The Pats are now getting bigger and nastier to run them over.

Aside from that and Easley, it's a "meh" draft at best.

You're feeling a big meh because it's a meh draft :). I like that they're moving to more beef along the interior OL, though. It's because of a few things...

1. Dante retiring.

2. The rest of the league going small and fast to defend against the spread. The Pats are now getting bigger and nastier to run them over.

Aside from that and Easley, it's a "meh" draft at best.

It's certainly hard to get dreamy about a bunch of mid-round interior linemen and a backup QB, no matter how much they were needed. Least sexy draft imaginable. Except...why is everybody so "meh" about James White and Zach Moore?

IMO White is a much needed addition, another RB who can actually catch the ball but is tough enough to take occasional inside handoffs. Unlike most prospects, he's already skilled in pass protection, too, and should be ready to contribute immediately. And with the lousy 4-3 DE class, I was on record preferring to take a chance on an athletic small school guy on day 3, with Fede & Moore being the likely prospects (I had moved Webster to the TE column). Moore's big, athletic, productive and a high-character guy. Academic deficiences kept him out of DI, and he might take some developmental time but he projects very, very well.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back