SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Sun
Sep 22nd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
White Wash
It was a whitewash in Miami as the Patriots defense rocked the Dolphins and New England improved to 2-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

The OA

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Nikolai, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,761
    ---
    So I'm only a couple episodes into this story, but I find it fairly interesting already. There's an interesting blend of metaphysical and quantum that I hope the show gets into a bit more, and the introduction of a certain character in the second episode suggests we'll get more insight into what this show offers on that front.

I think people are going to see and try to draw on the similarities with Stranger Things, but I don't really see it, outside of some of the metaphysical questions. This seems like it's a bit more down to earth as far as the plot, but also maybe a little more fantastical with the sci-fi elements.

The acting is pretty damned good.

I really liked the way the first episode ended. It was a pleasant twist but not all that jarring; perfectly done, in fact.

Looking forward to see where this goes.

2. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,112
    ---
  3. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,761
    ---
    The OA. That's the literal name of it, and the main character. It's a newish Netflix show.

4. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,112
    ---
    no wonder I never heard of it. I don't have Netflix

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,761
    ---
    So...

I finished watching it. The first couple episodes were really good, and by the third and fourth episodes, it starts getting a little wacky, but still interesting. By the final episode, you're probably fairly wrapped up in the story and how the protagonists will overcome. For me, the final episode was a massive letdown.

Overall it's maybe worth watching if you don't have anything else going on. The only other show on right now that I watch is Vikings, so I've got some time. If you've already got a few shows to catch up on or that you're following this instant, you can skip this one.

***SPOILERS BELOW***

I think the producers thought they were being clever with the final episode. It's somewhat nihilistic for a while, especially after Alfonso finds the books under her bed. You feel duped as a viewer, rather than intrigued by the twist.

Of course, I THINK those books were planted by the FBI guy. Why else would he be in their house and then so forgiving of Alfonso for breaking in? That tends to tell me she was telling the truth. After all, she had to get her sight back SOMEHOW and she had to be SOMEWHERE for seven years. Which then begs the question of why the writers thought it was a good idea to go on some quick detour regarding whether she was lying or insane. It completely undercuts the story.

The flash dance-y thing at the end was just hokey, as was the introduction of the school shooting. I felt using the movements was contrived and felt too "clever". I haven't seen this comparison, but it reminds me of the end of Signs, where past events that seemed random were a code to defeat a completely unforeseen enemy. I wish we could have seen the shooter's face. His inevitable "what the ****" look probably would have detracted from the big, powerful emotions they were trying to convey.

Also, that one-in-a-million shot that hits Prairie/Nina/OA right in the heart...ok. :rolleyes:

It felt like I got gipped a bit watching this, but the first seven episodes were pretty entertaining, even if a bit odd at points. I felt like the show could have made some broader strokes to tie in bigger themes about loss, the mystery of the afterlife, or even the charisma behind someone who has fantastic, yet convincing answers to those questions.

7/10

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Anteros

Anteros Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +655
    ---
    I also just finished watching this and felt just as let down for the same reason, pretty much.

It's like the creators of the show said "Let's leak some info that suggests sci-fi to draw in those fans and then leak some more that suggests fantasy to lure in those fans!" Then the end comes and... Surprise!... she's just batshit crazy.

Lol. I'd be more pissed if it weren't for the fact that those actors must all be embarrassed by that dance routine near the end.

If there's a second season I won't be watching, unlike Stranger Things which left me wanting so much more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,761
    ---
    Good point. The idea of a "Dance off" is more of a joke than a serious plot point in any film/show I've seen.

I am forced to agree. And it kills me because the first seven episodes had so much promise.

I'm definitely on board for more Stranger Things.

• Like Like x 1
  8. venecol

venecol PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,875
    ---
    I watched it over the Holidays, also let down by the end. Not sure it can be concluded she was bat **** crazy because at the end she did portend the school shooting so she did have some type of psychic connection. Also do we know that she dies at the end?

9. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,761
    ---
    Yeah, I'm thinking that Riz Ahmed's character (the FBI guy) planted those books, which is the only explanation for why he was suddenly in the house the same time as Alfonso. So she wasn't batshit crazy, necessarily. But then why the diversion? Seems like they needed it to service the plot idea of having the others do the dance off against the school shooter, which was another unnecessary addition to the story. Looks to me like they were trying to get too cute at the end and choked their own story.

And no, there's no confirmation she dies, but there seems to be a sense that at the least, she traveled to the other dimension, which opens up a Season 2 possibility. Again, I'm just not sure I'll be on board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Boomer B

Boomer B Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,371
    ---
    *spoilers*

I'm with you guys. Watched it with my wife and we got really into it. I like the idea of them exploring what happens when we die and going to a different dimension, but they started to lose me with the interpretive dance routine stuff, and then they completely lost me in the last episode.

So the dance routine can raise the dead, let someone travel through dimensions, and cause a nut job to stop shooting and watch the dancing? They had a great premise for the show and then they blew it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Calhoun44

Calhoun44 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523
    ---
    I liked the ending. It made you wonder is she crazy or did the dance moves (which were hokey and added to the crazy theory) really have a mystical dimension opening ability. Also, Season 2 will have way more possibilities, she could go to other dimension and meet up the other captives, she could go for a bit and get revived to answer so many questions about if there even were other captives, etc. I guess I don't mind being duped by the show as long as they do it in an entertaining way with good acting. Overall I think it delivers on both, 8/10 for me.

12. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,761
    ---
    I feel like it's fairly obvious that the books were planted by the FBI guy (why else was he there?), so I don't think that's it.

Yeah, I've run across people at work who liked it, even with the ending. I'd say it's a 65/35 split of didn't like the ending to liking it.

Still not sure on Season 2. They're going to have to sell me on the idea that another journey down this road is worth taking.