PatsFans.com - Mobile
PatsFans.com
Search

The NFL to play the “Black National Anthem” alongside the National Anthem this season.

2021 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: vs Saints
Pick Results: NO: 0% at NE: 0%

Sun
Sep 26th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

Team Bill's Worst Nightmare
PatsFans.com Supporter
So I support/supported kneeling 100%. That's not a "black" thing at all. All types got behind that movement, at least initially. Including myself although I'm not comfortable with everything coming out of the BLM organization I got behind kneeling.

This is a little different imo bc it's singling out a certain crowd. And I'm certainly mad at this. I can honestly say I'm cool with it if it's helping someone. Again just personally, I don't like the singling out like I said before this isn't the biggest deal in the world. Just hope we some more change while we have everyone's ear.

I realize this is “identity politics,” but nonetheless I’m curious about the types of polls/percentages involved with this decision for a second anthem.

57% of NFL players are black, so if there was an overwhelming demand from the players for this, I can understand why the action might be taken.

But I suspect this wasn’t the case at all and the decision was instead some broad brush money maker aimed at the public audience writ large. The league is probably doing this in part to save face from the horrendous way they handled the Kaepernick controversy.

LFGMac10

In the Starting Line-Up
on their own time, no problem with it at all
It is their time. Just because your job doesn't allow it, doesn't mean the NFL has to follow the same rules. You want to protest at work, find a company that will let you do that or start your own

One-If-By-Sea

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Ridiculous. I've been there a few times. Where exactly have you been? Did you even go to Kyoto, Okinawa, Kanazawa? How about Nara? Or were you just cooped up in one of the big cities?

My favorite was taking in the hot baths at the onsen at Jigokudani where the Snow Monkeys are.

I have been there so many times I lost track. My girlfriend was born and raised in Kyoto, I would stay with her often, I have been all over the island, all of the places you mention and bunch more. The hot springs are wonderful, that is because Japan is on top of a volcano. When you were in Kyoto did you notice the high voltage wires running through the city? That is because they do not bury the wires because of volcanic activity. Did you notice the private residences next to the business offices? The zoning and city planning evolved in Japan, it was not planned.

Japan is a great place, I love the culture and the people, but the architecture and landscape are not beautiful. Paris versus Kyoto for architecture - not even close. Scotland's lochs versus Japan's landscape - not even close.

You should get out and travel more.

aluminum seats

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
What makes it divisive
Its very nature. The "black national anthem." NFL players and fans are black, white, brown, yellow, and every other color humans come in.

Is playing the national anthem before sporting events silly? Yeah, sure, maybe a little. It's all about drinking beer and knocking heads, right? But it was traditionally a brief moment of unity (and really, when else do we hear the national anthem?) among the teams and fans before the game. Got to maybe see a pop star or a local marching band. Sporting events have traditionally had the ability to bring us together--it's been suggested we make the Super Bowl a national holiday, which is maybe silly too, but it's not a malicious idea.

And now we'll play two, one for a certain segment of humans. And that's divisive.

I see we're talking about the Star Spangled Banner, and different verses, and what they mean. And that's OK. If we want to change the national anthem, we can do that.

But there should only be one. This whole conversation made me think of the first minute of this:

Last edited:

tom444

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
The national anthem is about country.
The black anthem is about skin color.

Isn't "Lift Every Voice and Sing" really about people trying to overcome, not about skin color?

Lift Every Voice and Sing
Lift every voice and sing
Till earth and heaven ring
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the listening skies
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
Let us march on till victory is won
Stony the road we trod
Bitter the chastening rod
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died
Yet with a steady beat
Have not our weary feet
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears has been watered
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered
Out from the gloomy past
Till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast
God of our weary years
God of our silent tears
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way
Thou who has by Thy might Led us into the light
Keep us forever in the path, we pray
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee
Lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee
Shadowed beneath Thy hand
May we forever stand
True to our God
True to our native land
Our native land

Ice_Ice_Brady

Team Bill's Worst Nightmare
PatsFans.com Supporter
I'm sorry if just pointing out the shadows and hidden rooms of history hurts your snowflake sensibilities.

Just to clarify, as I don’t know where to find your relevant posts in this winding thread, are you claiming the Star Spangled Bammer is racist, or are you pointing out that some people have interpreted it as racist? If you‘re educating about the reason the SSB is considered racist by some people, I appreciate the added context to this discussion. I’d you‘re saying it is objectively racist, or that the racism interpretation is persuasive and/or a consensus opinion, then I disagree with you.

Here’s a good analysis.

50-yard-line

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Just to clarify, as I don’t know where to find your relevant posts in this winding thread, are you claiming the Star Spangled Bammer is racist, or are you pointing out that some people have interpreted it as racist? If you‘re educating about the reason the SSB is considered racist by some people, I appreciate the added context to this discussion. I’d you‘re saying it is objectively racist, or that the racism interpretation is persuasive and/or a consensus opinion, then I disagree with you.

Here’s a good analysis.

That's exactly what I was doing - just adding context and maybe a reason for the brouhaha. Personally, I think the third stanza IS quite racist and ridiculous - Key is damning the traitors who are fighting for their freedom. Given the history of why Key was on that ship, his other thoughts regarding slaves fighting for the British (and for their freedom), you have to tie yourself in semantic knots and disregard so much else that we've learned about Key to get around it.

That said, I can recognize Washington as a great man, even though he had the teeth pulled from slaves in his mouth. I understand the context and the historical period quite well. I get that.

I also get that there's a reason many American blacks aren't particularly enamored of the song, and I can certainly empathize. Change it? Sure, or not. I don't really care. American blacks have a lot more reason to be upset about the anthem than some here have for being upset about the inclusion of a second song. Like, why do you care? If you're not at the game, you won't even hear it.

They shouldn't be playing the anthem or this black anthem. Can of worms.

sambam94

In the Starting Line-Up
there is a segment of our population that looks for things to be offended by and ruin everything for the majority. There are also a growing number of people who for some reason believe America is not a great country and our national anthem and our flag just trigger them.

PP2

Pro Bowl Player
It sounds like you're against athletes kneeling, if you had a different intent, I didn't pick up on it

I'm the opposite. Athletes have every right to kneel, especially since their talents are exploited. The highest paid player will not get anywhere near a whiff of the money that the lowest ranking franchise owner rakes in, every year.

What I was saying is that the NFL's proposal to play the "Black anthem" is an extremely dumb form of appeasement. Do they really think that will stop players from kneeling?

PP2

Pro Bowl Player
I have been there so many times I lost track. My girlfriend was born and raised in Kyoto, I would stay with her often, I have been all over the island, all of the places you mention and bunch more. The hot springs are wonderful, that is because Japan is on top of a volcano. When you were in Kyoto did you notice the high voltage wires running through the city? That is because they do not bury the wires because of volcanic activity. Did you notice the private residences next to the business offices? The zoning and city planning evolved in Japan, it was not planned.

Japan is a great place, I love the culture and the people, but the architecture and landscape are not beautiful. Paris versus Kyoto for architecture - not even close. Scotland's lochs versus Japan's landscape - not even close.

You should get out and travel more.

To each their own, I guess. The high wires in Kyoto didn't bother me. I spent most of my time in Gion anyway.

I stopped counting how many countries I've been to, long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.