PatsFans.com - Mobile
PatsFans.com
Search

The NFL to play the “Black National Anthem” alongside the National Anthem this season.

2021 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: vs Saints
Pick Results: NO: 0% at NE: 0%

Sun
Sep 26th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:
Status
Not open for further replies.

KontradictioN

…with that said, Cam is a great teammate.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner

The NFL is continuing its 10-year, $250 million pledge to fight racism by playing the song before certain "tentpole games," including the NFL playoffs, NFL draft and Sept. 9 NFL kickoff game. Additionally, the league will promote social justice through signage, player helmet decals and PSAs, Front Office Sports reports.

"They're bringing back a lot of elements from last year," a source told the outlet.

Last season, the NFL featured the song before "The Star-Spangled Banner" at some games, including at Super Bowl 55 in February. During a performance by Alicia Keys, players from the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers linked arms in unity, FOX News reports.

1626444570387.gif

KontradictioN

…with that said, Cam is a great teammate.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Further division will definitely bring us closer.
I like it, honestly, but it’s not enough. Ultimately, we’d need to play the national anthems of every Asian country, every south and Central American country, and every European country in order for this to be real progress. Moreover, the promotion of social justice initiatives need to be conducted in every single language. Otherwise, it’s just not inclusive enough.

patman12

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
I like it, honestly, but it’s not enough. Ultimately, we’d need to play the national anthems of every Asian country, every south and Central American country, and every European country in order for this to be real progress. Moreover, the promotion of social justice initiatives need to be conducted in every single language. Otherwise, it’s just not inclusive enough.
It's kind of ridiculous that NHL games between US teams, which are heavily Canadian, Russian, Czech and other foreign born payers, will play the National Anthem.

50-yard-line

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
As an aside, just watched "TURN: Washington's Spies" on Netflix. Really great stuff there, and with some poetic license, most of it is true. I only say this because the complexities of that time period are stark and brutal...and on display in full force in the Star Spangled Banner.

I know the anthem was written a couple of decades later (War of 1812, iirc), but read the third verse and you'll understand a lot more of the issue.

Incredibly racist. And the story of why Key put that verse in there goes to why he was on the British ship watching the bombardment is truly fascinating.

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Exactly the sort of thing you'd expect an out of touch committee of rich old white men to decide to do to appease the commoners.

Another moment in the long history of NFL leadership forgetting that their customer base leans right. Like when that Steeler OL who was a former veteran broke ranks to stand for the anthem, half the country applauded him but the NFL and Steelers org bent over backwards to pretend it never happened.

The political dialogue in this country isn't going to get better until the mainstream realizes that moderate right wing voices have a place in the discussion. Right now that's just not happening.

PScottman

In the Starting Line-Up
Get rid of both of them. It’s a ****ing football game.
Over-politicization promotes discord because that's what politics is at its core - separation through policy, sub-groups, etc.

While some argue nationalistic displays (Andruzzi running out with the flag for example) helped bring about some healing post-9/11 through such politicization of the NFL - I would argue it was more the escapism of the sport itself as non-political that did much, much more as a way to forget crisis.

The pendulum has now swung the other way where the NFL is trying to again use the product in a political manner. My feelings have not changed though - it's the product on the field - the game itself, as a way to focus on something else other than our daily cultural struggles.

Anything that brings focus away from the game isn't something that will likely greatly influence the vast majority of fans (maybe the non-fans just wanting to be seen at events, but I'm not convinced that's much of a thing outside the playoffs/Super Bowl) regardless.

JarOfMayo51

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
lol wow!

I'm all about fighting for social justice and supported athletes right to kneel during the anthem, but this is ****ing WILD!

The anthem is played at all major US events because its the NATIONAL anthem, now they're going to play a "black anthem" alongside it for a specific minority group?

This country is becoming more insane by the day

Status
Not open for further replies.