PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Need for the "Fun" Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePatsFan26

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Part of what has helped past Super Bowl runs are guys like Gronk and Blount balancing Brady's intensity. There is plenty of blame with the offense's performance to go around, but Brady is also making mistakes out there and his frustrations with everyone else -- but seemingly not himself -- are hurting morale with the offense. And there is no one on the offense, as far as I can see, who is offsetting Brady's gloomy disposition right now.

Leadership sometimes means to yelling at the other guys to light a fire under them. Just as often, though, leadership can be giving the guys around you hope that it will all come together if they keep working. I'm worried the guys will quit on Brady if he treats them like disposable placeholders rather than teammates.

More than anything, I hope we can find a "fun" guy or two this offseason to help keep things more in perspective for Brady and the young guys looking to him for leadership. Otherwise, I can see guys burning out on what is turning into the uber-serious grimdark of a pigskin movie directed by Zack Snyder.

Last edited:
Not needed. But Winovich is already on the team.

It's impossible to argue with Brady's success...but it wouldn't hurt to take the edge off a little sometimes. He needs a couple shots during halftime IMO.

The “fun” guys only worked because they happened to be good.

You can’t make mushroom soup without fungis but I’m not sure NFL teams need any

Most of the defense is “fun”, you got the twins, the boogeymen, winovich’s shiny locks, etc.

I think it’s tough to say there’s no “fun” people when all you have to go on are scraps of press clippings and Ben violins stories and brief camera pans to Brady yelling on the sidelines. None of us has any idea what the locker room culture is like, anything to the contrary is highly speculative.

The “fun” guys only worked because they happened to be good.
Guys needing to be good is a given. The point is that we need to look for a "personality" as part of the search for a receiver or tight end in the offseason.

Personally, I'd love to see them lure Martellus Bennett out of retirement. If he has anything left, he'd address a need and help mentor the young guys.

Quick, let’s begin pointing to irrelevant factors to explain this.

Part of what has helped past Super Bowl runs are guys like Gronk and Blount balancing Brady's intensity. There is plenty of blame with the offense's performance to go around, but Brady is also making mistakes out there and his frustrations with everyone else -- but seemingly not himself -- are hurting morale with the offense. And there is no one on the offense, as far as I can see, who is offsetting Brady's gloomy disposition right now.

Leadership sometimes means to yelling at the other guys to light a fire under them. Just as often, though, leadership can be giving the guys around you hope that it will all come together if they keep working. I'm worried the guys will quit on Brady if he treats them like disposable placeholders rather than teammates.

More than anything, I hope we can find a "fun" guy or two this offseason to help keep things more in perspective for Brady and the young guys looking to him for leadership. Otherwise, I can see guys burning out on what is turning into the uber-serious grimdark of a pigskin movie directed by Zack Snyder.
That's just silly.

I don't think anyone on our offense is good enough to start goofing off

I don't think anyone on our offense is good enough to start goofing off
Having a degree of joy is not goofing off. This whole thread has been about needing talented guys who also can crack the occassional smile when things get tough. Everyone on here seems to think, based on the disagrees, that the offense needs even more pressure rather than accepting their limitations and building one game at a time.

Having a degree of joy is not goofing off. This whole thread has been about needing talented guys who also can crack the occassional smile when things get tough. Everyone on here seems to think, based on the disagrees, that the offense needs even more pressure rather than accepting their limitations and building one game at a time.

The smiles & personality will come with the W's. Its the stretch run its time to grind and get back to work.

The fun is in the winning. When you win, everyone’s having fun. When you lose, not so much.

Even Mr. Fun himself, Lane Johnson, wasn’t having so much fun this season with Philly playing as they have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes