PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Latest Pat's Put-down

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxmallon

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
For the last few weeks I’ve been noticing this media push to cast the Patriots as mechanical, robotic. The word “machine” is used a lot by sports pundits, but they almost always use it more as a slur or subtle put-down than any kind of compliment. In other words, they are not the unbeatable “Big Red Machine,” of Cincinnati Reds lore, but more like a corporatized mechanism, well-heeled, well-oiled... marching in step.

Jason La Confora said he was longing for Minny to beat the Eagles so we would have this match-up of a perfectly mastered machine up against a third string quarterback with a million yowling, rowdy fans driving him on. (I paraphrase)

I wonder if any of these sports voices are aware that the Pats-Titans game drew a record-breaking number of network viewers. Or, unlike the Yankees, Pat’s players are not only allowed to express a wide variety of personal styles, but often do just that.

This machine designation is new to me, but maybe it's been around for awhile, and has been pulled out of the closet and dusted off.

Machine (properly designed) = consistent, accurate, dependable

People find that boring, sort of like someone keeping an old junker because it has "character" over upgrading to a reliable performer.

Edit: just noticed I'm getting my first start.. In the AFCC! finally my time has come:cool:

864fa4d52b674ea087c902eceb21e3b4--quotes-quotes-movie-quotes.jpg

I wonder if any of these sports voices are aware that the Pats-Titans game drew a record-breaking number of network viewers. Or, unlike the Yankees, Pat’s players are not only allowed to express a wide variety of personal styles, but often do just that.

I’m a little confused by this part here. Everything I read said viewership was down.
Another week of big ratings drops for the NFL playoffs

The Pats being described as mechanical, robotic & boring has been around for years. Most people I know hate them because of how methodical and “unexciting” they are. I like it. It makes it really easy to distinguish who is a fan of the game, and who just watches to be a part of the scene. Let’s be real here for a second too. If you’re a fan of the Pats, then you know this team isn’t robotic and that the players and coaches have personality galore. They just don’t throw it in everyone’s damn face every chance they get.

I’m a little confused by this part here. Everything I read said viewership was down.

The Pats being described as mechanical, robotic & boring has been around for years. Most people I know hate them because of how methodical and “unexciting” they are. I like it. It makes it really easy to distinguish who is a fan of the game, and who just watches to be a part of the scene. Let’s be real here for a second too. If you’re a fan of the Pats, then you know this team isn’t robotic and that the players and coaches have personality galore. They just don’t throw it in everyone’s damn face every chance they get.

Ah, yes. I only read the headlines... I'm sure they meant that it was the highest rated Pat game this year, or the highest-rated game to that single point last Saturday in this year's televised games.

I think the "machine" thing is new to me because I'm listening to a lot of sports talk radio during a current job, and keep hearing it, always mean somewhat negatively.

Completely agree, but i also agree with op’s point. In 1984, i was sitting in front of my tv screen after the pats game looking to watch the 4pm game om nbc or cbs, and i found myself gravitating towards a 49ers team that appeared to be so well run, their efficiency in which they played, made them interesting and unique.

It was applauded and lauded and they created a dynasty. Today, we have that and it is reviled.

Honestly, i think it has to do with our society in general since the 1990s and the creation of the internet in terms of people making comments incognito, along with how the internet works in conjunction with cable tv. And, that is on top of how dumb our society has become, in tandem with how angry our society is as well.

If this was happening 20+ years ago, the reaction would be vastly different.

I remember seeing a steelers fan call those dynasty teams “like robots”, but that just proves how they all buy in for the right reasons and how his team doesn’t because cowher was a cheerleader and a friend, just like tomlin.

It is jealousy.

In a league full of inconsistency obviously the pats are superhuman, i.e a machine.

More machine than man?

Kotobukiya%20ARTFX%20Statue%20-%20Vader%20ANH%200002.jpg

For the last few weeks I’ve been noticing this media push to cast the Patriots as mechanical, robotic. The word “machine” is used a lot by sports pundits, but they almost always use it more as a slur or subtle put-down than any kind of compliment. In other words, they are not the unbeatable “Big Red Machine,” of Cincinnati Reds lore, but more like a corporatized mechanism, well-heeled, well-oiled... marching in step.

Jason La Confora said he was longing for Minny to beat the Eagles so we would have this match-up of a perfectly mastered machine up against a third string quarterback with a million yowling, rowdy fans driving him on. (I paraphrase)

This machine designation is new to me, but maybe it's been around for awhile, and has been pulled out of the closet and dusted off.
Pats rule.

Yes the robot stuff has been around for years. At media day before the Super Bowl in 2007 I recall Tom Brady being called boring to his face by some NFL personality. Let's face it, it isn't as fun to watch your team be systematically destroyed, just like the one the week before, as it is to root for the destroyer. It's also interesting the comments someone made above about our society being angrier and changed since the internet, and I find this to be true. Back in the 90's when Buffalo made the Super Bowl 4 years in a row you rooted for them to win (at least most people I know did) because if your team couldn't get there, at least someone from your division did, and you wanted the AFC to win. Now, not so much. People will watch, if the Pats make it, to hope to see them finally put down a peg (forgetting, unlike all of us, that there have been plenty of times they have been put down a peg).

Ah, yes. I only read the headlines... I'm sure they meant that it was the highest rated Pat game this year, or the highest-rated game to that single point last Saturday in this year's televised games.

I think the "machine" thing is new to me because I'm listening to a lot of sports talk radio during a current job, and keep hearing it, always mean somewhat negatively.
It was the highest rated Patriots game locally in the Boston market.

Saturday night’s broadcast captured a local household rating of 43.5 and marked a 3.1 percent increase over last year’s AFC Divisional win over the Houston Texans.

No idea what it did nationally.

For some rare good Pats praise.....

A GMF segment that asked to name the most unappreciated player left in the playoffs and Nate Burleson went with Danny A.

I was watching Kay Adams closely as the rumor was she dated Danny but other than agreeing he took pay cuts she was stoic.

Maybe in a less contentious time the guys could have had fun with teasing her, oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes