PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Josh Gordon Thread: Pats Officially Acquire Gordon for Fifth-Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edelman is going to be amped (as if he was not already gonna be). He sees himself as the big dog of the WRs.

Gronk too. It just became a lot harder for opposing defenses to scheme their entire red zone defense around stopping him, and then just living with the result of that whatever it may be.

No, it hasn’t. I think he’ll disappoint, and anyone who knows about addiction realizes this is a disease and not something you can just will away. I’m still not sold on his physical skills either; that catch showed no separation. The market says it all: a 5th round (maybe less) pick for a guy who is 27 and has essentially two more team friendly years on his contract.

For the Patriots, however, he may improve the offense, since I’ve been saying all offseason that Britt, Patterson, Dorsett, etc. are all band aid solutions, bargain bin guys, and if one of the three is even adequate I’ll take it (Dorsett has been the guy so far.). Brady might make Gordon a real option by his powers alone, but it’s more likely he is vastly disappointed with Gordon’s lack of discipline and focus.

Bottom line, if their receiver situation wasn’t terrible, I don’t think they make this trade. But it’s a fifth round pick, and it’s not like they’re selling the farm for him. I’m not disappointed in the trade but skeptical it will work out. That’s about what you typically get for a fifth round draft pick.
Other routes he ran vs Pitt he showed good/very good separation. There was one where he juked a CB. Steelers Cbs sucks so not sure if its a good example.

Everything else you say I agree with 100%.

With the state of things at WR I do think he'll relapse but its worth the conditional 5th rounder.

Last edited:
Yes, I think they are shadow rostering these 2 and I think we will see at least one of them back on the team fairly soon. Matthews has been very productive when healthy.

What's interesting to me is that, because of circumstances (injury, suspension, trade, cut pickup), this team is potentially going to be going from "Christ, who the hell is going to catch the ball?" to "There's no way they can hang on to all those receivers, even if they moved Patterson more to a STer with benefits kind of role."

Edelman
Gordon
Dorsett
Hogan
Britt
Matthews
Coleman (more for potential than for immediate production)
Patterson

Absolutely. I meant strictly in a football sense.
I'm sure you did. I came off a bit snarky in my reply and I apologize for that. It's all good...

this deal gets better, Browns had same bye week as Patriots, I already planned for this to not affect my fantasy team.:)

So long Corey, we hardly knew ya.

Thanks to the Brownies for the talent pipeline.

Keeps the Kenny Britt / Jordan Matthews patsfan.com binkies in play too.

I called it! I knew he was coming here all along

I love this. He is a beast. If he can't realize that weed is nice and all, but having a Mulit-million dolar salary is MUCH better, we cut him easily.

I think there is some chance he plays this week, but it's not much... I hope he gets ready to play in week 4, before Edelman arrives, just so I can see how he plays as a true #1 Receiver

What's interesting to me is that, because of circumstances (injury, suspension, trade, cut pickup), this team is potentially going to be going from "Christ, who the hell is going to catch the ball?" to "There's no way they can hang on to all those receivers, even if they moved Patterson more to a STer with benefits kind of role."

Edelman
Gordon
Dorsett
Hogan
Britt
Matthews
Coleman (more for potential than for immediate production)
Patterson

Pats cut Coleman for Gordon. Imagine if we had the above and Dez instead of Britt. 2 great wide outs (Gordon, Dez), 2 great slot/intermediate receivers (Edelman, Hogan), Gronk and our committee of RBs (Burkhead, White, Michel)

And when Gordon hits his next contract wouldn’t be as huge as it would be

No, it hasn’t. I think he’ll disappoint, and anyone who knows about addiction realizes this is a disease and not something you can just will away. I’m still not sold on his physical skills either; that catch showed no separation. The market says it all: a 5th round (maybe less) pick for a guy who is 27 and has essentially two more team friendly years on his contract.

For the Patriots, however, he may improve the offense, since I’ve been saying all offseason that Britt, Patterson, Dorsett, etc. are all band aid solutions, bargain bin guys, and if one of the three is even adequate I’ll take it (Dorsett has been the guy so far.). Brady might make Gordon a real option by his powers alone, but it’s more likely he is vastly disappointed with Gordon’s lack of discipline and focus.

Bottom line, if their receiver situation wasn’t terrible, I don’t think they make this trade. But it’s a fifth round pick, and it’s not like they’re selling the farm for him. I’m not disappointed in the trade but skeptical it will work out. That’s about what you typically get for a fifth round draft pick.

Interesting take. I seriously disagree, but you do make your point well.

[watches guy elevate over a corner who was beaten so bad he had to faceguard on an underthrow, pluck the ball, and contort to land in-bounds with the ball secured on a last ditch play]

Eh I don't think this guy is there physically

Other routes he ran vs Pitt he showed good/very good seperation.

Everything else you say I agree with 100%.

With the state of things at WR I do think he'll relapse but its worth the conditional 5th rounder.

I think the upside for the Pats is more than with other teams.

It’s the domino effect.

Hogan is their #1 and is suffering from getting tough matchups. He doesn’t have the raw talent to excel there.

Dorsett is their #2 and is doing okay but would greatly benefit from getting one more downgrade in the corner matched up on him. He could really exploit the worst coverage guy on the other team but right now he won’t get overlooked.

Patterson should be a guy who is a threat as their fourth/fifth option but it’s so obvious right now when he’s going to get the ball. He should get a few touches a game with more spacing and would be more efficient.

Gronkowski suffers from all of the above since he’s going to be the entire focus of the defensive game plan, as no one else is really going to cause major damage.

I’m not convinced Edelman is the Edelman of old, or that having him back will give the same domino effect as having a true dynamic, explosive deep play threat.

So while I’m skeptical he will work out, the upside of Gordon assuming a big playmaker role would really cause the offense to improve in many ways.

The more the merrier. Gordon, Britt and Matthews are pretty iffy.

Good trade even though I'm skeptical that he can stay on the field.

Cripes, he didn't kill anyone or even hurt anyone (but himself). Half the people on this board yap about posting drunk after particularly stupid GDTs.

The guy has a problem, and it's one that could become life-threatening. it's also one that some people overcome, but critical to that is being put in the right places surrounded by the right people - and even that's not always enough.

Gordon has the talent to greatly help the Patriots. I care just as much that the Patriots might have the staff and locker room to help Gordon.

ps. Julian Edelman just got popped for banned substances, and wasn't drinking tea at the Kentucky Derbies he's attended. Oh, and one of Gordon's suspensions came because he had a couple of drinks on a flight to Vegas with some teammates AFTER the season ended.
Just cut the guy a break and hope for the best - for him and for the Patriots.

And also...he's playing in a league that makes millions on beer commercials. This holier-than-thou attitude is really dumb.

Slow your roll turbo

I don’t care that he smokes weed. I think it’s funny that’s called a disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back