SOURCE:NESN

SOURCE:WEEI

SOURCE:Boston Sports Journal

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

The Irishman

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Brady_to_Moss, Nov 26, 2019.

1. fnordcircle

fnordcircle The poster who James White said inspires him. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31,863
    How does it try to be Goodfellas, exactly?

Apart from being about mobsters they're incredibly different movies. One was about self-destruction the other was about consequences.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. maust1013

maust1013 Just Another Guy PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +16,196

That disappointment is flowing both ways. Part of the point with the Nucky character was he wasn't the hard case he needed to be and never really muscled up his crew like a serious player would have. In his own bowl he was king sh!t but nowhere near the ruthless ahole he needed to be outside AC. always looking for the win-win like the deal making bureaucrat he was, instead of the you'll take it and like it gangster he should have been. He wanted to be the good guy he was in his own mind and not the evil ****er he became.

3. Pape

Pape Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +923
    dont know 100% it does... will let you know if i ever bother to go back and fnish it ... but the first part, with the story going over the growing ties of Robert DeNiros character to the mob? yeah ... similarities abound in what i saw...

4. fnordcircle

fnordcircle The poster who James White said inspires him. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31,863
    There was never a scene in Boardwalk Empire where I felt like Buscemi carried it. I get that a lot of people love that show and I didn't need him to be a typical mafioso. Seriously, every scene felt like the only thing he brought to the role was 'I want to talk to the manager' energy. I enjoyed his brother's portrayal much, much more.

I also really was ready for Dabney to play a bigger part so the end of the Jimmy + the Commodore arc annoyed tf out of me.

Season 3 was pretty solid, though, but that was because of Gyp and of course Harrow's terminator scene.

5. fightingirish595

fightingirish595 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,428
    Character development. They are 2 completely different movies loosely based on real events

6. Pape

Pape Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +923
    I will post a more complete review if I ever make it through the movie

7. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54,755
    I honestly thought that Sheeran’s character was the most bland of the three and even then he was still solid. Pesci and Pacino carried the hell out of this one though. The only thing I can complain about upon second viewing is the length. Scorsese easily could have shaved about 30 minutes off of that (especially at the end) and it would have still been excellent.

8. fnordcircle

Ratings:
    +31,863
    I'm ok with the length.
    They had to establish his relationship with Pesci's character and the mob, his relationship with Hoffa, the deterioration of Hoffa's relationship with the mob and set the stage for him to be left with nothing at the end.

Even the drive scenes, which seemed superfluous at first sort of helped set the 'leisurely Sunday drive where you're asked to kill your best friend' stuff.

9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +54,755
    I’m fine with that. Where they could have shaved minutes was at the end of the movie. After Hoffa disappeared (hopefully that’s not a spoiler for anyone).

10. fnordcircle

Ratings:
    +31,863
    To me that was the most pivotal part of the movie and what really differentiated it from all the regular suspects to which it is being compared.

Really taking their time to show us how ****ty his life was after all he had done for the mob hit home for me.

That's why while I didn't enjoy it as much as other movies I found it more meaningful.

11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +54,755
    I don’t disagree but they definitely could have accomplished that and saved us some time there. Let me make this clear - that’s just a minor nitpick. I thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish. But if the movie had any downside, it’s that. Just watching the thing is a commitment that’s the equivalent of a half day at work.

• Like Like x 1
  12. varjao

varjao Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,217
    Just watched Kill the Irishman, very good movie about the mob in Cleveland, also some characters related to this recent Irishman from Scorcese.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29,262
    I just finished The Irishman...figured I’d watch a freebie Oscar nomination.

Weird movie. It was almost like it started out as a story about Sheeran but then changed into a story about Hoffa. The Hoffa part, which added 60-90 minutes about the (very unsexy) Teamsters labor union and its pension plan, politics. etc., was the problem with the movie IMO. It just got so wrapped up in Hoffa’s story that it totally changed from the gangster genre to a strange autobiographical one before getting back on course with a strong finish with Sheeran getting old.

The other thing that was strange was the insistence on De Niro and Pacino to lose about 25 years of age...not sure what that accomplished other than a jarring experience for the viewer. I read that the way they filmed the movie was meant to de-age the actors, but I would have preferred age appropriate actors instead of a distracting smoke and mirrors trick.

Admittedly, I had grown tired of Pesci’s little tough guy character after a lot of movies, so I was pleasantly surprised that he played a fresh character who was very cool and collected. Thought the Oscar nomination was well earned for that performance. He was great in Goodfellas but had reprised that character too many times.

Overall I don’t know how to rate this one. A lot of really good stuff but also so much boring muck...felt like they forgot to edit it. I think Scorsese fell in love with De Niro and Pacino to the detriment of this movie. They are both great actors but had too many scenes, and it made the breadth of the movie so tiring. I mean, this was a 3.5 hour movie that lacked excitement and tension.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. supafly

supafly James White pays me for shoutouts PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +24,653
    I see that my concerns were justified. Thanks for the review. I think I’ll skip it.

• Agree Agree x 1