SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

SOURCE:Providence Journal

SOURCE:Boston Herald

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

THE FOOD AND DRINK THREAD

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Tunescribe, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +35,764
    It's about time we had a thread devoted to all things consumable including topics like diets, recipes, supplements (both general health and exercise), new products, great restaurants, beer/wine/cider, etc., etc. So let's go!

I do most of the cooking for the wife and I and will have some great quick recipes to share.

A recent discovery in the Target food section, of all places: organic Honeycrisp apples. These apples are incredible, also very expensive. A bag of six will run you over $5 but damn, they are SO worth it. They are the crispest, juiciest things ever with the perfect blend of fruity sweetness. I bought three bags the other day and have been eating about two a day. What sold me is the fact they're organic -- I avoid nonorganic produce as much as possible, it's scary how much harmful crap a lot of our food contains from factory farming.

Link: Here’s Why Honeycrisp Apples Are So Expensive

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  2. IllegalContact

IllegalContact PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,164
    honeycrisp is my favorite, but you can't always get them......so sometimes it's snapdragon or sweetango

3. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    I saw a report once (and will post it here if I can find it again) about what produce is important to buy organic. Apples, bananas, strawberries and grapes were at the top of the fruit list because they easily absorb contaminants like pesticides and chemical fertilizer. I'm also a big grape eater, partly because it's my parrot's preferred fruit.

• Like Like x 2
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54,746
    We do all organic produce too. It’s expensive but it’s really good. I like the Gala apples, though. My wife uses the apple cores, banana peels, etc for her compost pile in the backyard. Just a couple of quick things off the top of my head - we substitute organic for most of our meals that feature a ground meat. So meatloaf, pasta, taco salad, etc.

Underrated drink recommendation - Wawa mint-flavored iced coffee. I’ll be god damned if that’s not one of the most delicious drinks I’ve ever had.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    We've cut way back on meat in general but have grass-fed ground beef once a month or so and occasionally healthy chicken. I prefer fish for animal protein and like skinless/boneless sardines (great protein content plus Omega 3s, I douse them with olive tapenade).

I know you take a dim view of plant-based burgers but I REALLY like these, I go through a package a week, had a couple last night with melted sharp cheddar, pickles, olive oil mayo and ketchup:

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +54,746
    Just be careful with them. Those things are supposedly loaded with estrogen. You don’t want the dreaded ***** tits.

7. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    I thought the estrogen comes from soy, right? There's no soy in Fieldburgers.

Edit: this estrogen from soy notion seems to be a myth. Link: Does consuming soy affect a man’s testosterone levels? | ISSM

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +54,746
    Ah I got you. So it’s just the Burger King ones that are loaded with soy. Yeah, I’m not judging. Do you. But if I’m having a burger... I’m having a BURGER. Tomatoes, onions, pickles, the occasional couple of slices of bacon, grilled medium-well. Have you had cauliflower pizza yet? What’s your thoughts? I’m not a fan.

9. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +13,164

I have yet to have beef in 2020.......the grill is covered up and I don't do much with beef inside......but when the grill is out, a prime ribeye steak every other week and a burger ground myself in between

the meatless products come down to how they're flavored......just need to understand the nutritional detail case by case

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    Check out my edit to the above post about soy/estrogen with the provided link. According to that it's a non-issue.

There's nothing wrong with the occasional grass-fed beef burger, it's the grain-fed hormone-raised generic supermarket beef you've got to avoid. That stuff is pretty bad. Cattle stomachs don't digest grain properly and it causes immune system responses passed along to us through their flesh. Cows are supposed to graze on grass but they're force-fed grain (and hormones) because it's a cheaper method that fattens them up faster.

Animal products in general (meat, chicken, eggs, dairy) are confirmed to exacerbate inflammation in humans, which becomes more problematic with age. So I'm gravitating to healthy plant-based protein sources, although you can't avoid animal products entirely. I do like cheese.

Haven't had cauliflower crust pizza yet but I've had cauliflower ON pizza. I'll come back later with my quick pizza recipe.

11. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +13,164
    whether it's organic or not, you need to know where your products are coming from......I like going to wegman's because you can pretty easily figure out where everything comes from

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +35,137
    Regarding fish. I've been going to place out in Danvers called the Cherry St fish market. They import their haddock from Iceland and it's the best I've had. Expensive but damn good.

I'd eat that daily if I could afford it but at twenty bucks a pound it's a once a week meal.

Edit: fifteen bucks a pound.

13. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +13,164
    save the cauliflower for making 'mashed potatoes' cauliflower pizza sucks ..... not sure if you should even call it pizza

14. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    Yowza, $20 a pound?! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  15. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +13,164
    you can get good haddock for less than that......you can also get cod loin which is pretty damned good too. A restaurant near me does cod piccata which is awesome

16. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    Oh, another great find: Ducktrap smoked salmon trim (from Maine) in the freezer section at Hannaford's. A one-pound package is only $8+, a great way to enjoy "lox" at a bargain price.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hyped

Hyped PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,129
    Comments:

1.) I don't buy organic produce. That crap rots fast...and you can only buy 2-3 days worth at a time.

2.) Trader Joe's makes a good cauliflower pizza....the crust tastes like cardboard, but is crispy...the cheese is where it is at.

3.) I use frozen riced cauliflower from TJ's a lot....love it. A lot easier to prepare vs. actual rice...and less calories too. The key is to get them as crispy as possible so that there's some 'crunch' when eating that you think you are eating rice. And the mashed potato ones are great for when I want to make chicken with mashed potatoes without the calories.

4.) I try to eat high protein/low carb..but mainly count calories...much easier than doing macro nutrients and I don't like weighing my food down to the grams....I just approximate it by my hand size and try to eat 2.4K cals a day or less. I go over on weekends....and under during the week to maintain a weekly average of 16-17K cals...and in turn I work out 3X to burn about 600-750 cals a week...plus surf once a week to burn another 750 cals which gets my daily average down to 2.2Kish... Right now I am overweight as I usually am after football season with all the booze...been dry for 38 days now and dropped about 10-12 lbs. I should reach 225 lbs (my ideal weight) around May/June.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Tony2046

Ratings:
    +35,137
    Sorry. I was incorrect. It's fifteen a pound. My last purchase was over a pound.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Tony2046

Ratings:
    +35,137
    Crispy rice?

• Like Like x 1
  20. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,614
    Sumo oranges. 2.99 a pound, but they are so damn good. They are in season now. Ugly fruit. They are the size of a grapefruit and look very similar. Also, yummy. They are also in season now. Try them both you won't be sorry. My diet is 99 percent turkey fruit and nuts. Almonds and pistachios. I don't eat red meat. When i do cheat. Its pizza pizza pizza. The Linwood in Randolph is my go to pizza.

• Like Like x 2