Next Up: at Bills
Pick Results: NE: 83.1% at BUF: 16.9%

Mon
Dec 6th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
I got this fat ass delmonico/ribeye I planned to cook for father's day but I was full off all the burgers so I'm saving it for the 4th. I am going to take a risk and try my version of a reverse sear with it by smoking it at a low heat with mesquite wood, and then searing it hot as all hell over some lump charcoal. Really do not wanna **** around and overcook it, so I might end up smoking it til about 100-105 and then searing it for about 45 seconds per side. I can't wait. Been a while since I had a nice big steak
Sounds interesting. Please let me know how it turns out.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Supporter
Today was my first time making Tom Yum at home. And it was a reminder that, when you are using someone else's recipe, you should always double check the amounts. Because of a math error (not on my part, but passed along to me), the soup was basically a big pot of liquid fire.

Boston Boxer

U.S. Air Force Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
I've got a new range coming where the oven has an air-fry mode.......stay tuned
I have an air fryer and do wings that way now. Best wings i have had and not fried in oil. I make sure they are patted dry, put my favorite rub on them, in the AF at 380 for 20 minutes, then flip and 20 more minutes. perfect wing

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I have an air fryer and do wings that way now. Best wings i have had and not fried in oil. I make sure they are patted dry, put my favorite rub on them, in the AF at 380 for 20 minutes, then flip and 20 more minutes. perfect wing

still waiting for my range..........delivery date of 8/30 now

I also like grilled wings....I haven't had wings for awhile

Last edited:

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Supporter
Today was a much better day for my cooking. I made lo mein, and a very tasty version. It was sort of like a restaurant's house special version, with chicken, pork and shrimp. Baby bok choy, red bell pepper, ****ake and cremini mushrooms, and bean sprouts made up the vegetable portion, and I used a super thin stir fry noodle as the base.

It feels great to be back on the good side of cooking, after the experience of making and eating that volcanac version of tom yum soup last night.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Supporter
Last night, I went sous vide with some 1 1/2" pork chops. I seasoned them, bagged them, and then cooked them until done. After that, I took out the chops, put them to the side for a moment, poured the seasoned juices into a pan, and began to cook them down.

While the juices were being cooked down, I had a very hot cast iron skillet for the pork chops. I put the chops in to get a quick sear on both sides. After that, the chops were removed from the pan. I put a pat of butter into the seasoned juices, finished making the sauce, poured it over the chops, and served them with vegetables.

Very tasty.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Tonight, I made a version of Adobo chicken. This version was very much in the sweet/sour mode, with little emphasis on salt, and no emphasis on spiciness. I've preferred other versions of the dish, but this one went over well with the others eating, as they aren't big on spicy food.

What I've learned over the years is that "spicy" is subjective and even cultural. I enjoy spicy food but what I consider spicy is mild compared to Indonesian or Indian standards.

patsfanfromoversea

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
What I've learned over the years is that "spicy" is subjective and even cultural. I enjoy spicy food but what I consider spicy is mild compared to Indonesian or Indian standards.
I thought i liked spicy food as well until i tried some indian curry in New Zealand two years ago. This was so damn spicy i needed two days to finish it. But delicious

patsfanfromoversea

This is the first year we have our own pond with trout's in it. We will be able to fish them next week and grill them right away with some potatoes, ham. I guess we will do some citrus etc. inside the trouts.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Supporter
This is the first year we have our own pond with trout's in it. We will be able to fish them next week and grill them right away with some potatoes, ham. I guess we will do some citrus etc. inside the trouts.
Sounds delicious. There's something about catching your own fresh water fish that just automatically seems to make them taste better.

patsfanfromoversea

Sounds delicious. There's something about catching your own fresh water fish that just automatically seems to make them taste better.
Yeah I agree, and the fishing trip is always fun with buddies drinking beer etc. We want to watch the buccs game Friday evening after the trip in relive and eat. I guess I will already know the result by then.
What’s your next creation ?

Last edited:

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Supporter
Yeah I agree, and the fishing trip is always fun with buddies drinking beer etc. We want to watch the buccs game Friday evening after the trip in relive and eat. I guess I will already know the result by then.
What’s your next creation ?
Things have been so busy here that I've mostly just gone chalk (I had to make my steak tips twice, due to guests "demanding" it, for example). But I did make a chicken pizza a few days back. That's not a pizza with chicken on it. It was "pizza" using chicken as the crust. It needs more work, but it wasn't a terrible first effort. I'm heading to the oriental grocery today, so I'll be able to pick up what I was missing for a couple of different dishes, so I'll be trying some new things in the next couple of days.

patsfanfromoversea

Things have been so busy here that I've mostly just gone chalk (I had to make my steak tips twice, due to guests "demanding" it, for example). But I did make a chicken pizza a few days back. That's not a pizza with chicken on it. It was "pizza" using chicken as the crust. It needs more work, but it wasn't a terrible first effort. I'm heading to the oriental grocery today, so I'll be able to pick up what I was missing for a couple of different dishes, so I'll be trying some new things in the next couple of days.
That is some interesting stuff I never thought off. A pizza with a chicken as a crust sounds so damn delicious can you ship some over pls ? Thanks for the explanation I thought first you meant chicken on it. I‘d like to hear about your oriental creations if you don’t mind. Trying other citchens is always exciting. A lot of new flavors and combinations of spices we would never think in about our hometown.

woolster22

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
It seems we may have a need for some healthy recipes around here. As such, this is getting tweaked to drop the salt (mostly). Remember the rule of white powders; they're all **** for your body. Cocaine, salt, sugar, certain opiates...

That said, I plan on making this tomorrow, presuming work/kids don't drive me nuts, I'll try to pay a little attention to the rub and skip the store-bought secret in the cupboard (if you're trying to eat healthy, the vast majority of premade rubs/mixes are salt!).
The following is a favorite quick, easy, healthy meal of mine, best part is it's just as good (almost) as leftovers:
Ingredients;
Pork Loin/tenderloin
Rice - replace water w/ UNSALTED chix stock and drop the salt. Cracked pepper and a dash of chili flake/oregano go a long way. Olive oil in place of butter.
Tzatziki (rough recipe will follow, can usually he found by the hummus if you want to go super easy route. Suggested to make 24hrs ahead!)
Tabouleh (I usually go store bought here, if anyone here has a good recipe, I'm all ears)
French's Yellow Mustard

The Rub (all aproximate, I eye ****, YMMV):
1 part chili powder
1 part ground coriander
1-2 parts salt
2 parts course ground pepper
2 part tumeric
2 parts smoked paprika (yes, smoked makes a difference)
3 parts oregano
- mix that **** in a bowl and set aside

Tzatziki:
1 pint plain unsweetened yogurt
1/2 a cuke, seeded, shredded - collect juice while shredding!
1-2 teaspoons minced garlic, or 2 medium-large fresh crushed/minced cloves
Small bunch of mint, chopped fine
Small bunch of cilantro chopped fine(if you don't like cilantro, plenty of people replace with parsley - both are excellent. Total herbs chopped should be about 1/4-1/2 cup? I eye **** and taste...)
Lemon juice to taste (start with 1/2 teaspoon?)
Salt + pepper to taste
-again, mix all that **** up in a bowl. Consistency all off? That's where your cuke juice comes in.

Preheat oven 375-425, depending on confidence w/ pork.

Pat pork dry, lightly rub in your French's yellow mustard (primarily to let the rub stick, don't need to use a lot) and then hit it with your rub.

Start rice.

Toss pork in oven.
Tip: I like to cook this higher, 375-425. Crust is a must. The higher the tempts, the easier to dry out your pork loin. Luckily, tzatziki serves you well if you **** this up. Current FDA reco's means pulling your loin at 140-145 is perfectly safe. You'll get 5 degrees of carry over cooking while resting (wrap in foil when it comes out and let it sit for 15 min, 20ish for large loins)

Pull at 140-145 degrees. If you go past 155, you're only doing bad things to your meat. It's already dead, no need to kill it again. Remember to take temps from the middle!

Serving: rice bowl style! Slice or dice your pork. Load a bowl with rice, hefty portion of tabouleh (prob 1/2 - 2/3s your rice?), heavy dollop of Tzatziki. Feta is a nice addition. I'm pretty sure this is what Frank's Red Hot was made for. YMMV

Slight tweak:
Lose rice, use Naan bread/lto and the other mentioned ingredients to make fantastic homemade gyros. Don't forget to toast the naan if you go this route, makes all the difference.

Last edited:

savers

Rookie
Cooking is my passion. I used different recipe card template for writing my favourite recipes. I have a small collection of recipers cards. Next step for me is to gather all recipes cards and write cooking book. I think it will be long process and I will start about the design and main conception of my future book. I heard that f or sold cookbooks, royalties are often in the range of 8 percent to 10 percent of the cover price.

Last edited:

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Supporter
That is some interesting stuff I never thought off. A pizza with a chicken as a crust sounds so damn delicious can you ship some over pls ? Thanks for the explanation I thought first you meant chicken on it. I‘d like to hear about your oriental creations if you don’t mind. Trying other citchens is always exciting. A lot of new flavors and combinations of spices we would never think in about our hometown.
I've been mostly either doing requests (i.e. shrimp scampi, linguine with clam sauce, meatloaf, swordfish with lemon-caper sauce, etc...) or doing time limited cooking lately which, along with some empty shelf problems, has meant almost nothing new has been tried. Last night, for example, I did sous vide pork chops with a mustard sauce for the second time in about a month. This weekend, I'll be roasting a duck. It's nothing new, but it's a favorite of mine.

So, I've got some ideas in the pipeline, but I don't know when I'll get to them. I'll post them when I do, though.

Pape

In the Starting Line-Up

striper dill lemon and butter, asparagus, rice with grilled lemon wedges... yum

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Supporter
I haven't posted here for a while, since I've been in a situation where most of the dinners have been pretty boring meals.

Tonight is roast duck with long grain and wild rice. It's very tasty, and the fat will be helpful for tomorrow. Why, you ask (Ok, you didn't ask, but still....)?
Tomorrow is going to be a standing rib roast, with Guinness gravy and duck fat roasted early potatoes. I'm going to go sous vide with the rib roast (a first), with a double sear approach.

condon84

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
I used to own an offset smoker but when I needed to buy a new smoker, I saw on a barbecue forum they were talking about a pit barrel cooker. Been using it for the past 5 years. One of the best investments I've made -

A lot less hastle than an offset, really easy to cook and the food taste better. Ribs that I made -