The Cooking Thread

2020 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
I've kind of become converted to the basic smashburger technique.

1) Loose ball of quality meat ~85% lean
2) Drop it in the middle of hot cast iron
3) Immediately give it 1 (and only 1!) good smash with a heavy spatula (or whatever) so you get full contact for an even brown crust all across the surface
4) Flip when juices are seeping through the top

Just salt & pepper for seasoning. Favorite cheese is probably a medium cheddar, full extra aged/super sharp is a bit much.

I used to use that technique, but I found it failed to keep the burger from becoming too rounded. So I now go with forming the patty and then making the indent on the top.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Supporter
Tonight was pork chops with apples and onions. Tried someone else's recipe. The flavors were good, but they apparently like their chops cooked more than we prefer. We'll make it again, with less cooking time.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Supporter
Home cooked fish and chips tonight.

Does anyone care to share a favorite homemade batter for when they make theirs?

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
What are the functions of the pasta maker? I recently returned mine as there was way too much cleanup involved. I love homemade pasta and would consider one that saves time.
Sorry about the delay getting back to you. I lost track of what I was doing.

It was made by Imperia way back in the 70's and had a handle that you cranked. I think they now have an electric version. My wife seemed happy with it and I don't remember her complaining about it being difficult to clean, and we didn't have a dishwasher at the time. I think the functions depended upon which attachment you used.

I called my son and they haven't used it yet. When they do I'll try to get some more info.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Tonight was pork chops with apples and onions. Tried someone else's recipe. The flavors were good, but they apparently like their chops cooked more than we prefer. We'll make it again, with less cooking time.
My wife and I have trouble getting pork chops done just right whether in the oven or pan fried. My wife worries about them being undercooked so we always seem to overcook them and they get dry.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Supporter
My wife and I have trouble getting pork chops done just right whether in the oven or pan fried. My wife worries about them being undercooked so we always seem to overcook them and they get dry.
Have you tried sous vide? Also, brining can work well with pork chops, though you may need a time or two in order to learn how to adjust your seasonings.

sean10mm

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Brining is the classic solution to pork chops and chicken breasts drying out.

Bought Essential Pepin and so far it's a slam dunk. Going to take a while to work through 700 recipes though... :rofl:

scout

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Anyone have thoughts on spaghetti squash? Actually, any thoughts regarding cooking vegetables with additional flavor.

A Defiant Goose

In the Starting Line-Up
Anyone have thoughts on spaghetti squash? Actually, any thoughts regarding cooking vegetables with additional flavor.

I ate it before as a pasta substitute when I was on paleo. Dumb fad diet aside, it was actually not that bad. Cut it in half long ways, bake til it's soft, shred it up with a fork and that's all it took. It is a bit watery but overall it was pretty good

A Defiant Goose

In the Starting Line-Up
Smoked a pork butt a couple weeks ago. I really really really wanted to avoid wrapping it to get it past the 160 degree stall but after 13 hours I said screw it. Wrapped it about another 2 hours and it was outstanding. Next time I'm going to start it at midnight instead of 5AM, and plan to refill the charcoal at about the 8-10 hour mark. Part of the problem I think is that my fire burned out faster than I wanted it to, and adding more charcoal just got it to burn out faster. Next time I'm gonna line up all the coals in almost a full circle and try and get it to last a bit longer, and when it's time to refill I'll refill it the exact same way as it started.

Might throw a brisket on the top rack to go with it

A Defiant Goose

In the Starting Line-Up
Brining is the classic solution to pork chops and chicken breasts drying out.

Bought Essential Pepin and so far it's a slam dunk. Going to take a while to work through 700 recipes though... :rofl:
How do you brine your chicken?

I've found the chicken is way better when I just rinse it, dry it, salt it, and throw it on a baking rack in the fridge a couple hours. Let it sit out for about 30-45 minutes before cooking. Get it to 160, let it rest, and bam. It's perfect. Idk wtf I was doing my whole life trying to pan sear a whole ass chicken breast

sean10mm

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
I don't remember, my long term solution to dry chicken breasts was to just replace them with thighs for almost everything.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Smoked a pork butt a couple weeks ago. I really really really wanted to avoid wrapping it to get it past the 160 degree stall but after 13 hours I said screw it. Wrapped it about another 2 hours and it was outstanding. Next time I'm going to start it at midnight instead of 5AM, and plan to refill the charcoal at about the 8-10 hour mark. Part of the problem I think is that my fire burned out faster than I wanted it to, and adding more charcoal just got it to burn out faster. Next time I'm gonna line up all the coals in almost a full circle and try and get it to last a bit longer, and when it's time to refill I'll refill it the exact same way as it started.

Might throw a brisket on the top rack to go with it

I've never wrapped a butt/shoulder........I just don't remove the fat until after, pretty much makes it impossible to dry out

different story with the brisket.....evap will fight the heat until it's too late.......you have to wrap it 4-5 hours in.

once you wrap it, may as well just stick it in the oven

A Defiant Goose

In the Starting Line-Up
I don't remember, my long term solution to dry chicken breasts was to just replace them with thighs for almost everything.
Lmao. Yea but 4 ounces of breast goes further than 4 ounces of thighs. 120/4oz for breast vs 210/4z for thighs. Would you rather have an 8oz breast or 4oz thigh?

Don't have to answer that, it's rhetorical. I gotta watch my weight. COVID got me ****ed up and I ballooned too much. Kept eating like I was still lifting and running

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Supporter
I ate it before as a pasta substitute when I was on paleo. Dumb fad diet aside, it was actually not that bad. Cut it in half long ways, bake til it's soft, shred it up with a fork and that's all it took. It is a bit watery but overall it was pretty good

Another way you can use it is like peppers/zucchini/eggplant, as the containing "vessel" for a stuffed vegetable dish.

Boston Boxer

U.S. Air Force Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
I made Chicken Caprese the other day and it came out really good. Stuffed chicken breasts with fresh mozzarella, cherry tomato cut in half, basil and a little garlic. Dusted them with some Italian seasoning, and drizzled with balsamic glaze (found at walmart by the ketchup/olives) and baked them in the oven with some butter. served it with some orzo pasta and drizzled with a little more glaze.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I made Chicken Caprese the other day and it came out really good. Stuffed chicken breasts with fresh mozzarella, cherry tomato cut in half, basil and a little garlic. Dusted them with some Italian seasoning, and drizzled with balsamic glaze (found at walmart by the ketchup/olives) and baked them in the oven with some butter. served it with some orzo pasta and drizzled with a little more glaze.

everything is better with cheese

Hyped

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I made some really good Mediterranean burgers the other day...

Lean ground turkey, fresh parsley, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander seed (grinded).... then I plopped on some feta/cucumber tzatziki sauce...

For the spices...I went with hotter...but YMMV....

I baked them because I used frozen turkey meatballs that I thawed first...and ran em' through a cheese shredder....to re-ground them again...added a little egg white to re-bind the meat... I wanted to use up the turkey meatballs to create space in the freezer for some ice...

woolster22

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Immersion circulators/sous vide machines are gold. Do a roast. The ability to cook forever (more or less) allows you to get amazing tenderness from tough cuts. Need to pay attention to handling/temp guidelines, but worth the brief headache. Fun little gadgets. Can similarly prep burgers en masse, pop em out, sear and serve. Makes a vac sealer almost a requirement, but the uses are endless from there (brine chix parts in vac bags, use less brine, throw out the trash after).

Made some spanish chicken roulletes the other night. Big batch of "dirty beans" for dirty rice/beans. Tonight will be quick meat sauce to wipe out some left over pasta.

Kids have started to realize "dinner is different at dads." They dont have a clue. Two consecutive "south american" dishes w/ a little heat and no objections. Can't wait til I can start playing with heat more consistently.

Not sure where I'm taking the pork loins yet. Tatziki+tabouleh with naan/rice and choice of protein is a household favorite. Works decent with most leftover proteins, and is pretty damn healthy. Feta, kalamatas, etc can take things up a notch.

Whoever mentioned the wife worrying about pork, FDA relatively recently changed safe cook temp guidelines for pork. Medium->med-well is safe, juicey, FDA approved goodness.

ForThoseAboutToRock

In the Starting Line-Up
Sous vide is a great way to cook things like pork chops / chicken breasts that people oftentimes overcook like you mentioned. I do it all the time.

Steak is fantastic in sous vide too. It's a great technique for almost any meat... bacon cooked overnight.... o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O