Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Broncos’ Journey to Matt Leinart

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/NickelPackage/re3.23.shtml

Armed with picks 22 & 29 in this draft, Shanahan goes to work -– slowly winding his way into a deal between the Jets and Falcons, giving up the 29th and 93rd picks and a 2007 4th-rounder in order to secure the 15th pick this April.

With that in place, the next shoe must drop…now with the 15th and 22nd pick, the Broncos will try and work out a deal with the Texans for the 1st overall selection in this draft to take Matt Leinart. My prediction is that it will take the 15th and 22nd picks of this draft as well as the Bronco’s first round selection next year in order to get the Texans to move that far down.

At this point, holding two first-round picks gained from trades, the Broncos cannot afford to NOT give the Texans what they want for the #1 pick. They’ve worked too hard and trading into the #2 spot would leave them vulnerable to a Jets trade up to #1 for the QB they covet.

I like Vince Young for that offense more. With 15 and 22 they could probably get to 8-10 (haven't looked on the charts) and that might get Young.

BelichickFan said:
I like Vince Young for that offense more. With 15 and 22 they could probably get to 8-10 (haven't looked on the charts) and that might get Young.

they can get to 4 with 15 and 22

ayjackson said:

From the Draft Pick Value Chart:

1 - 3000
2 - 2600
3 - 2200
4 - 1800

8 - 1400
9 - 1350
10- 1300

15 - 1050
22 - 780

15&22 Total Vaule = 1830

The Gr8est said:
I'd LOVE that to be true. The Broncos would trade three #1s, a #3 and a #4 all for Leinart? I think there is a very good chance he would not be equal to the haul. Broncos would be putting all of their eggs (and a very large contract) in one basket.

The Broncos only have 2 1st round picks. They don't have 3.

DaBruinz said:
The Broncos only have 2 1st round picks. They don't have 3.
I believe the third #1 is Denver's 2007. Three year's #1s is a bit pricey, I really hope Shanahan feels that cost is no object.

Last edited:
So ... is Leinart really the next Elway?

ayjackson said:
That would get Young, although I think the charts are WAY overrated in terms of what can or cannot be done.

BelichickFan said:
That would get Young, although I think the charts are WAY overrated in terms of what can or cannot be done.

they're a rough guide, but there are other factors...for instance a team with a surplus of picks in a year may want to move up in the draft, even at the price of overpaying a bit (they can afford to with surplus picks)

Last edited:
QB? Yes...but not Leinart

They're going after Cutler. If the Jets don't want him, he might drop all the 15. At least at that position they could probably get up closer say 5-10 if he is really who they are targeting. If not Cutler, it must be Mario Williams due to the Bronc's lack of pass rush.. But hey, you don't think they are trying to nab Reggie Bush are you?

This Denver rumor is BS. Denver is happy with Jake Plummer, who has a few decent years left in him. There's no way a team that has built so well over the past few years trades 3 1st round picks (the 2005 pick traded to Washington, this year's 1st, and the 1st from 2007 necessary to move to the top of the draft). To draft a QB when it is on the cusp of the Super Bowl. Not unless they think that Leinart is the best to come around in years, and I don't think any scouts think that.

More likely, the Broncos are looking to upgrade at WR. Rod Smith is getting old, and the Broncos know that Santonio Holmes should be sitting there at #15. The team also released Jeb Putzier, a fine TE, before free agency began. Clearly, they're looking at Leonard Pope, who is a physical freak in the mold of Ben Watson.

I think that Denver is actually looking at Vernon Davis for their TE position and I could see them trading up to get him.

flutie2phelan said:
So ... is Leinart really the next Elway?

stinkypete:
Not unless they think that Leinart is the best to come around in years, and I don't think any scouts think that.

Okay, pete.
That's a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back