Not open for further replies.

groundgame

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
SI.Com
by: CHRIS MANNIX / DAILY SCORECARD

The Rant
The Pats aren't dead; in fact, they're dominant again
Posted: Monday December 19, 2005 11:33AM; Updated: Monday December 19, 2005 11:33AM

Two days before the official start of winter and signs of the season are already upon us. The snow is falling, the wind is swirling... and once again, the Patriots are dominating.

Reports of the Patriots demise have been greatly exaggerated and in recent weeks been proffered in volume. Three weeks ago, the defending champs were beaten and left for dead, a sound thrashing at the hands of Kansas City providing the perfect metaphor for the Patriots season. The defense was beat up, the offense sputtering, and even golden boy Tom Brady was proving that his right arm was not a freakish blend of Montana, Bradshaw and Young by tossing four interceptions in the loss.

Like vultures to a carcass the critics pounced. Champs, they said. The Patriots look more like chumps. Pundits and talking heads everywhere unceremoniously dumped Brady in favor of Peyton Manning, a statistical marvel without a meaningful playoff victory. It's Manning's year, they proclaimed. It's the year a new dynasty is born.

Wait... is there something wrong with my volume? Because I don't hear those critics talking anymore.

New England is on a roll, winners of three straight with a favorable schedule (Jets, Dolphins) that should enable them to close the season on a five-game winning streak. The defense, perhaps the most maligned unit in sports the last two seasons, is as healthy as they are going to be with a rejuvenated -- and more importantly, in shape -- Tedy Bruschi leading a front seven that swallows running backs like whales eating plankton. The offense has gelled behind a line that is looking less like a rendition of musical chairs and more like the unit that surrendered only seven sacks the last two postseasons.

Come on, critics, where are you? New England has two weeks to get ready for the opening round of the playoffs, a home game that will be played in temperatures roughly the equivalent of your ice box. Think Jacksonville wants an all-expense paid trip to Foxboro to start the New Year? Think San Diego has been holding practice in Alaska to get ready for games like this?

I'll go one step further. Should New England advance and play the vaunted Colts and their terrific trio of Manning, Edgerin James and Marvin Harrison, who have set a host of regular-season records and done absolutely nothing in the playoffs... wait, what was I saying?

That's right. I'll take the Patriots. I'll take Bill Belichick and his Super Bowl rings. I'll put my money on Richard Seymour and Willie McGinest to make plays before I double-down on Dwight Freeney. And I'll take Brady and his sterling 9-0 playoff record. Don't talk to me about great offense. The Rams had great offense and they're still shining their 2001 NFC championship trophy. As a wise old wrestler once said, to be the man, you've got to beat the man, and last time I checked, these men were still standing.

Media Kits | About Us | Add RSS headlines
Copyright © 2005 CNN/Sports Illustrated.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.
Millions struggle as transit strike ruled illegal
WEATHER
CNN CareerBuilder
STOCK QUOTE:

SUBSCRIBE TO SI
GIVE THE GIFT OF SI
GIVE THE GIFT OF SI FOR KIDS

THE WEB SI.com

Last edited:
Wow did he visit CHFF? That was the most realistic article I have read yet. I won't guarantee that we will beat the colts this year but I wouldn't put money on the colts winning either. I probably will put money on the pats if that game comes to fruision.

Harrison37 said:
Awesome read.

the Patriots are dominant...........the four most feard words in the WHOLE of the NFL :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

"to be the man, you've got to beat the man, and last time I checked, these men were still standing. "

Enough Said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye