PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 4-7 Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I don't think you'll see the 4-0-7 much against the Patriots. Gus Bradley's conservative (see the Prevent in the Ravens game), but he's not stupid.
It’s ironic because they used it as a run defense to maximize the speed on the field. Very innovative way to attack a rb at qb.

I agree that there is no issue if Brady can complete lots of passes downfield against a defense with 7 DB's on the field.

Tom can actually complete passes down the field which will open up the box for Sony, Cord, Burk and White for catches in the flat and short.

I agree that there is no issue if Brady can complete lots of passes downfield against a defense with 7 DB's on the field.

If they sell out for the run, Brady will eat the DB packages up.

Chargers have big problems at LB. No Brown vs us.

Thats like losing KVN for us.

The strength of the Baltimore run game is that Gus Edwards hits holes hard and wastes basically no time waiting for the holes to open up. That's also a weakness - compare to a RB like Bell whose patience allows the blocks to develop first. When there's 7 DBs on the field, THAT's something that can really help. Sony Michel has showed signs of anticipation prior to hitting the holes, which could help him should that 4-7 defense show up again.

Thats the chess match. If they put 7 DBs on the field off the LoS Sony is getting the rock or White in the flat.

If they play those DBs up then Tom is throwing

The game is 4 quarters. The answer to almost blowing the game against an incompetent offense isn’t “sure they were great because they played well for 3 quarters.”
I wasn't suggesting they were a great defense. I was merely stating that they played well for three quarters and played worse in fourth. Ravens' struggling offense can also be attributed to some of their (Chargers) defensive success until 3rd qtr.

I still can't figure out how Baltimore didn't run for over 200 yards.

I thought it was more like a 7-4 defense, using safeties as LBs, and aggressively one-gapping and playing man on the back end (until Q4). Up front,they were using that speed to get by and around blockers.

The other thing, though, was that it seemed to me that Jackson was doing simple dropbacks (rather than RPO) on a much higher percentage of plays than I'd seen. So, it may have been a product of a smart Chargers' defensive scheme, and Harbaby out-smarting himself (out-stupiding?). OTOH, Chargers defenders seemed to be getting to the RPO mesh-point very quickly, anyway.

Yep, the Patriots would go big and dominate them.
Chargers have a fast defense but its fair to acknowledge the NEP have more beef than a Ruth Chris.

Power football. Ram it down their throat.

No, but a majority of Jackson's runs are ad lib scramble-based runs, so speed and tackling were more important than fending off blocks. NE would wham them with Develin and Gronk or Allen wiping out undersized DBs on the second level & Michel ripping off big gains. Plus the DBs would be further back vs. NE due to the threat of a pass.

It should be noted that when blocking DBs on running plays, Edelman is not a very nice person. :)

Not sure why Baltimore / Harbaugh could not adjust to try something like that, more of a straight power football attack, but BB would I'm sure.

I'm not sure that the Ravens OL is capable of that.

I don't know whether it was an "adjustment" or not, but the Ravens offense didn't play much of their ~typical 3TE sets or RPO until Q4. Prior to that, Jackson seemed to be doing an alarming amount of straight dropbacks with no play action. Not exactly his strong suit (trying for Understatement of the Year).

I wasn't suggesting they were a great defense. I was merely stating that they played well for three quarters and played worse in fourth. Ravens' struggling offense can also be attributed to some of their (Chargers) defensive success until 3rd qtr.

It seemed to me that the Chargers defense started to back off a bit in Q4. More soft zone, less man, less aggressive up front. That's when the Ravens trotted out their more typical 3 TE set.

It's put-up-or-shut-up time for the Patriots on both sides of the LOS. Win both places, it doesn't matter what the Chargers do (and yes, it's winnable on both sides).

Chargers have a fast defense but its fair to acknowledge the NEP have more beef than a Ruth Chris.

Power football. Ram it down their throat.
Almost certain to happen if it snows, though Brady is the best QB in league history at completing passes in a snowstorm.

The game is 4 quarters. The answer to almost blowing the game against an incompetent offense isn’t “sure they were great because they played well for 3 quarters.”

You sure do sing a different tune when it happens to the Patriots. I believe “garbage time” was the phrase?

the ravens don't have much of a rushing offense if you remove Jackson......the chargers interfered with jacksons execution, the ravens fell behind....something a jackson led offense struggles to deal with. the ravens offense was so bad they were begging for flacco.....

the chargers have a decent defense......but they don't scare me....one gimmick stopped another gimmick........I'd love to see them try that against the pats

Almost certain to happen if it snows, though Brady is the best QB in league history at completing passes in a snowstorm.
....and hallelujah for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing