PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

This is the same secondary, though, that held Larry Fitzgerald to one catch and the entire Arizona passing game to 140 yards.

I'm not saying that they're spectacular, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as this game made them look.

theyre definitely not, especially given fitzgerald went OFF against what many consider to be a very good eagles defense.

the problem is that the pats secondary is still vulnerable to BIG plays. i give them credit for holding up early, but eventually started to get burned...badly.

arrington in general gets burned alot...mccourty is susceptible at times, he just looked worse last night than he usually does (torrey smith is a fast receiver). i think hes perfectly fine for the most part, but would probably be a much better #2 than #1. people saying hes terrible havent watched the entirety of games apparently.

they also got burned for big plays in tennessee...but played better overall. ray rice had more to do with giving up big plays than anything...could not contain him at all.

After three weeks into the 2012 NFL Season, the New England Patriots draft priorities:

1a - left defensive end (Ninkovich/Scott combination lacks quality)

1b - cornerback (Arrington/McCourty combination lacks quality)

2 - right guard/right tackle (Donald Thomas is useless; Marcus Cannon is suspect)

Three of the aforementioned players will be unrestricted free agents in 2013:

Kyle Arrington
Trevor Scott
Donald Thomas

Hopefully, the New England Patriots will upgrade all three players upon their departure.

After three weeks into the 2012 NFL Season, the New England Patriots draft priorities:

1a - left defensive end (Ninkovich/Scott combination lacks quality)

1b - cornerback (Arrington/McCourty combination lacks quality)

2 - right guard/right tackle (Donald Thomas is useless; Marcus Cannon is suspect)

Three of the aforementioned players will be unrestricted free agents in 2013:

Kyle Arrington
Trevor Scott
Donald Thomas

Hopefully, the New England Patriots will upgrade all three players upon their departure.

Is it a left defensive End we need or a right one? I can see switching Chandler Jones over to the left and getting someone faster with better closing ability for the right side.

One thing I've noticed about the potential for the draft is how reliant it is on the junior class to be a good one. If enough declare, it will be an excellent class far outstripping last years.

with that in mind, here's an interesting find - one of the better vids I've watched so far this year.:

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri (Jnr, 6-4, 295)

OSU39-Sheldon.jpg

He's #34. Looks like a good penetrating DT with some 3-4 potential. He's constantly in the Baylor backfield in this game.

Sheldon Richardson vs Baylor - YouTube

Looks like the Baylor vid was no fluke, Richardson had a great game against SCAR too. I can see a Fletcher Cox like rise in this guys future. Actually think he's better athletically than Fletcher Cox:

Sheldon Richardson vs South Carolina (2012) - YouTube

I'm trying to build a Draft board at the minute (which as always is incredibly hard at this time of year as the rankings are so fluid), but right now in terms of O-line, I have Barrett Jones very high.

Right now, I'm pretty close to locking Jonathan Cooper (OG, UNC) as my preferred first pick for the Patriots. Guy is superb as yo can see below (he's 64, the LG). Look how smooth and quick he looks when on the move. I don't think he loses one battle in the below video either.

And FWIW, Tony Pauline says that NFL scouts regard him higher than DeCastro:

http://youtu.be/cMDy1lNAUqA

A lot of people have been jumping on the Bjoern Werner bandwagon. But I wonder if BB won't end up being more interested in his teammate Cornelius "Tank" Carradine, who has moved into the starting lineup at DE opposite Werner since Brandon Jenkins went out for the year with an injury. Carradine has nice length and size at around 6'5" and anywhere from 265-285#, and the kind of power game that could complement Chandler Jones nicely.

NE Patriots' draft had this to say about Carradine in their review of the Florida St.-Clemson game:

#91 Tank Carradine, DE

- Heads up play on fake field goal, gets off block and out into open field to tackle receiver at the line
- Gets too high when trying to stop the run up the middle, gets pushed off the line and pancaked
- Using his hand very well in tight spaces to get free, just gets to Ellington late
- Gets free sack when he is unblocked on the twist, looks very athletic in open space -closed quick
- Showing explosion off the snap, getting pressure on every snap, even when blocked he is pushing the pocket
- Reading and reacting in the run game, staying at home and making sure he maintains outside leverage to guard vs the reverses that Clemson loves to run – disciplined
- Looks good turning the corner vs. OT, loses his balance when he tries to dip and go low on Boyd – Boyd escapes by stepping up in the pocket
- Using his hands to get extension/stay clean and disengage while pass rushing
- Getting such good extension with his long arms, the LT has been off balance each play, Tank doing what he wants
- Shows off speed and athleticism chasing down Ellington to the sideline from the option, goes hard
- Continually gets off blocks in run coverage, sets the edge hard and is sitting there waiting for RB
- Has been a beast all night, unblockable, sacks, pressures, but also major impact in the run game

2013 NFL Draft Scouting Notes: Florida State vs. Clemson | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

As Brother Manx has noted elsewhere, there seems to be a lot of Chandler Jones in Carradine:

- long arms, clogs passing lanes and gets linemen off balance
- effective hand usage taking on linemen
- strong at setting the edge as well as rushing the passer
- fluid in space for such a powerful, big guy
- good read and react skills
- disciplined

I could see BB being very intrerested in Carradine as a bookend to Jones.

carradine would be more realistic. werner would probably be off the board too early

Alex Okafor, DE, Texas, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Okafor is a good athlete capable of improving his sack total in 2012, but his most impressive attribute is his power. Okafor can knock opponents onto their heels on his way to the quarterback and also sets the edge nicely as a run defender. Okafor's ability to make plays against the run and pass makes him arguably the most well-rounded senior defensive end in the country.

Last edited:
Grizzly Sleeper Alert for OTG!

This one's very interesting: Kyle Long, OT, Oregon. 6'7" 315#. Son of Howie Long. Brother of Chris. Started at Florida State as a baseball prospect, dropped out due to academic and alcohol problems, got his life together and transitioned to football. Howie calls him the "best athlete in the family". Has a Vollmeresque combination of size, power and footwork, but is still raw. Age, inexperience, and prior history should keep him to a day 3 pick but his upside is definitely day 1 or 2.

Here's a nice read:

Offensive lineman Kyle Long making presence felt early during Oregon Ducks camp | OregonLive.com

Ignoring the top 25 on NFL Draftscout's list, here are some of the guys I think are interesting (juniors with an *):

38. Jesse Williams, DE/DT, Alabama. A stronger, more powerful version of Red Bryant.

66. Cornelius "Tank" Carradine, DE, Florida St. Would make a great bookend t Chandler Jones.

70. Tony Jefferson*, S, Oklahoma. A poor man's Earl Thomas.

75. Dion Jordan, DE/OLB/DB, Oreogn. My favorite player in the draft. A defensive Aaron Hernandez.

76. Justin Gilbert*, CB/S, Oklahoma. A big DB with excellent ball skills.

116. Jordan Reed*, TE, Florida. A second "move TE" along with Aaron Hernandez would present tremendous challenges for opposing defenses.

128. Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas.

130. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama. If the Pats can find room to sign Michael Hoomananduwi as an extra blocking TE, they have room for Williams.

143. Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina. See Cornelius Carradine.

149. Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon.

151. Seantrel Henderson*, OT, Miami. Has issues, but has the raw tools to be a beast at RT.

165. Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA. As a day 3 pick, I love him.

176. Kenny Tate, DB/LB, Maryland. Might have a role as a tweener. Worth a look on day 3.

194. Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M.

197. Mark Jackson, OT/OG, Glenville. Former Illinois recruit with good feet for his size.

Not listed:

- OT Gabe Marquardt.
- OT Kyle Long.
- DT Brandon Moore.

Good list Mayo. I also like:

DT- Kwame Geathers- 6'5" 355 (rJr-Not listed)- Monster developmental NT
WR- Stedman Bailey- 5'10" 195 (rJr Not listed)- Looks like a perfect fit as a slot WR

(110). WR- Marcus Davis- Virginia Tech- 6'4" 230- Reportedly runs a 4.37 with a 44inch vertical

A few big LDE's that also shift inside on passing downs

(122). Abry Jones- Georgia- 6'3" 308
(228). Quinton Dial- Alabama- 6'5" 304
(298). Damion Square- Alabama- 6'3" 286

Grizzly Sleeper Alert for OTG!

This one's very interesting: Kyle Long, OT, Oregon. 6'7" 315#. Son of Howie Long. Brother of Chris. Started at Florida State as a baseball prospect, dropped out due to academic and alcohol problems, got his life together and transitioned to football. Howie calls him the "best athlete in the family". Has a Vollmeresque combination of size, power and footwork, but is still raw. Age, inexperience, and prior history should keep him to a day 3 pick but his upside is definitely day 1 or 2.

Here's a nice read:

Offensive lineman Kyle Long making presence felt early during Oregon Ducks camp | OregonLive.com

Wow. What a great Find, Brother Mayo!! :eek:

I read the article you found, and I am definitely jazzed about this kid!!

Above all, how quickly he's picking things up ~ and the fact that that didn't surprise his Coach ~ get my attention.

Plenty of praise about his Power & Athleticism, too, from many guys, including our boy, that potential Aaron Hernandez of Defense, Dion Jordan...nice.

Awesome find, my Brother. :cool:

Good list Mayo. I also like:

DT- Kwame Geathers- 6'5" 355 (rJr-Not listed)- Monster developmental NT
WR- Stedman Bailey- 5'10" 195 (rJr Not listed)- Looks like a perfect fit as a slot WR

(110). WR- Marcus Davis- Virginia Tech- 6'4" 230- Reportedly runs a 4.37 with a 44inch vertical

A few big LDE's that also shift inside on passing downs

(122). Abry Jones- Georgia- 6'3" 308
(228). Quinton Dial- Alabama- 6'5" 304
(298). Damion Square- Alabama- 6'3" 286

I like all your additions, especially Geathers as a developmental DT, Dial, and Davis.

Any thoughts on potential late-round/UDFA QBs?

If they plan to trade Mallett at some point, they'd be better off with somebody in the pipeline.

Ignoring the top 25 on NFL Draftscout's list, here are some of the guys I think are interesting (juniors with an *):

38. Jesse Williams, DE/DT, Alabama. A stronger, more powerful version of Red Bryant.

66. Cornelius "Tank" Carradine, DE, Florida St. Would make a great bookend t Chandler Jones.

70. Tony Jefferson*, S, Oklahoma. A poor man's Earl Thomas.

75. Dion Jordan, DE/OLB/DB, Oreogn. My favorite player in the draft. A defensive Aaron Hernandez.

76. Justin Gilbert*, CB/S, Oklahoma. A big DB with excellent ball skills.

116. Jordan Reed*, TE, Florida. A second "move TE" along with Aaron Hernandez would present tremendous challenges for opposing defenses.

128. Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas.

130. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama. If the Pats can find room to sign Michael Hoomananduwi as an extra blocking TE, they have room for Williams.

143. Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina. See Cornelius Carradine.

149. Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon.

151. Seantrel Henderson*, OT, Miami. Has issues, but has the raw tools to be a beast at RT.

165. Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA. As a day 3 pick, I love him.

176. Kenny Tate, DB/LB, Maryland. Might have a role as a tweener. Worth a look on day 3.

194. Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M.

197. Mark Jackson, OT/OG, Glenville. Former Illinois recruit with good feet for his size.

Not listed:

- OT Gabe Marquardt.
- OT Kyle Long.
- DT Brandon Moore.

Damn, I don't know how I'm supposed to carry all of those guys as binkies, this will take some serious looking in to;)

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back