PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tell me a story about Marcus Mariota...

He's a guy I used to think could be a good reclamation project, but everyone has talked me out of it. The End.

He was a great college QB but it just didn't translate to NFL success, which hardly makes him unique.

Mariota for dirt cheap is fine as a project. On a basic mechanical level his throwing ability is much better than 2020 Cam's.

Spending anything on him with the expectation he'll be a real NFL starter is a big yikes tho.

Assuming no QB falls to 15 and even if there is one available I think Mariota offers a lower floor and still has upside.

His contract is a steal, 3.5 M.

Pretty much a steal for pick 46 IMO
I would rather draft a second tier guy like Mond

We need a #1 QB for 2022. We need a backup who can start for 2021. We need a backup for 2022.

Belichick is looking at all options. Even we get a top QB, we will need a 2021 backup for the first part of the year or for the whole year.

Would you prefer Stidham or Mariota as the backup while we wait for Lance or Jones or Fields or Mills?

and have him be that backup from Day 1? pass
Lawrence and Wilson out of reach, assuming they go 1-2. Of the remaining draft prospects, Fields, Mac, and to a lesser extent Lance, are the only QB’s I’d have some faith in if they had to step in for Cam this season. Any rookie QB beyond that and this season is totally screwed IMO.

and have him be that backup from Day 1? pass
IF the QB is viewed as a future star, but in need of seasoning, of course you make that move, unless you already took a QB in round one. The idea of passing on him is insane.

Do you think that either is ready to start Game 2 if Cam were injured?

I'm in the anybody but Cam boat...as I was last season...so yes

So there, I am, with the Tennessee Titans, formerly the Houston Oilers, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Marcus wouldn't go on stage that afternoon. So, Jeff Fisher pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Corey Davis, and Derrick Henry, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopkeeper and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really, but sure enough I got the M&Ms, and Marcus took the field and went 11/27 with 2 picks because he's not actually that good.
Who said draft him, well the police report was inconclusive. You can't dust for vomit.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back