PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Eric Tomlinson had a good game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently 4 TEs on the roster needing a slot for Sanu.

I’d cut him just because of the ratty hair.

Too soon to make a determination one way or another. The dude just got here and hasn't played at all this season. I'm thankful that Ben Watson is back and had solid contributions last night.

Currently 4 TEs on the roster needing a slot for Sanu.

The Possibilities are endless the only untouchable is Ben Watson. We could out right Cut LaGlass or Tomlinson neither would be missed. Or waive Ryan Izzo who still have Taxi Squad Eligibility and would easily make it there where he belongs.

Honestly I'd cut Izzo. He's got some ability as a receiving TE, but his blocking just insn't there, and if I had to choose between a receiver who can't block or a blocker who can't catch, I go for the blocker 110 times out of 100

Completely disagree. His blocking was terrible sans the last one I saw on the edge. He was slow off the snap, didn't use his hands, completely whiffed on a trap/wham block etc...he struggled mightily. Won't be surprised if he is released soon. Depending on the health of the injured TE's.

Agreed. He's pretty soft, at least from my perspective.

The choice is between putting LeCosse on IR and cutting Izzo.

Honestly I'd cut Izzo. He's got some ability as a receiving TE, but his blocking just insn't there, and if I had to choose between a receiver who can't block or a blocker who can't catch, I go for the blocker 110 times out of 100

Maybe it's just a testament to how bad the TE blocking has been so far this year, but I still think Tomlinson had a good night, especially for the first time he suited up for the team. Certainly the overall TE blocking game was way better than before, and Watson can't claim all the credit for that

After those big mistakes early we stopped worrying about TE protection because it wasn't getting called out by the announcers. With a blocking TE, like OL play, you have to look for good play if you want to see it. It won't jump out and bite you in the butt

And personally, I saw plenty of Tomlinson holding his edge, neutralizing his defender or opening holes for the run. If you looked for him during big run plays, Tomlinson was usually out there doing something useful. But you have to go look for it to see it.

I dunno, I just feel like adequacy is a nice step in the right direction and Tomlinson is adequate. The announcers might not call Tomlinson's name the rest of the year, and for a blockign TE that would probably be a good thing. He's only going to be easy to spot when he makes mistakes, so a quiet night is a great night. His role is not to be noticed unless you're specifically looking for blocking TEs. I just happened to be curious about him since all eyes were on Watson, and I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw.

and released again.

Great thread.

I didn’t think he impressed but he had been here for a few days so it feels totally unfair to harp on him like those other two TE’s who have been here since the offseason and blow.

Good observation, I didn’t notice him, will look for this in the "re-watch.” I would be happy with “Hooman 2.0.”

I just threw up in my mouth reading that. Warn people next time.

I don't need a barely capable TE3 getting significant playing time for 3 years because McD likes the way he fondles a sack.

We never knew you Eric and don't come back now you hear.

Cutting this guy doesn't make sense to me. Blocking TE who can play fullback gets cut to sign a WR and a ST player? WTF?

Cutting this guy doesn't make sense to me. Blocking TE who can play fullback gets cut to sign a WR and a ST player? WTF?

Blocking TE who the heck did he Block other than air??:confused:

He isn't needed. Blocking is not even good and Roberts can play full back

Yeah... he had a, uh, real good game.

Maybe he stunk like multiple people on this thread stated?

A blocking TE that can't block is not a valuable asset...

Dwayne Allen your the next contestant ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes