SOURCE:mlive.com

SOURCE:Times and Democrat

SOURCE:CBS Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Tank for Lawrence

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by thecore762, Mar 17, 2020.

1. NG Pats Fan

NG Pats Fan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,203
    Cassel took a 16-0 team with an easy schedule and MISSED the playoffs..

Stidham is taking a 11-5 team with the least talented offense in the NFL who just lost their HOF QB

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sb1

sb1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12,819
    Still tied for first in the division. Take a look at that and compare with the Colts when they lost Manning. The difference between us and them - coaching. I say this a lot not to be anti-Brady but to be pro Bill.

Yes they lost a HOF QB...who is also 43 soon and wasn’t very good last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. NG Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +5,203
    43 year old Brady >>>>>>> Stidham

Can't win in this league without a good QB unless you have one of the greatest defenses of all time, which we don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. RIP#40

RIP#40 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +83
    As Tampa Bay will find out next season, 43 year old Tom Brady is done. 42 yr old Brady stunk too. Time for a young, mobile QB. I have no doubt that Stidham can move this offense better than a clearly diminished TB12.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. NG Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +5,203
    Stidham over 43 year old brady? Yeah that’s a laughable opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3,274
    mid you watch the tape of herbert and love you will see two qb’s that make Mitch trubinsky look like Marino!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. sb1

sb1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12,819
    Nobody knows if Stidham is a good QB or the long term answer or not. We’ll find out soon. With Bill coaching he’s at least set up to succeed more than other first year starters in this league would be.

Brady was not very good last year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,509
    It seems likely that Love and Herbert will be long gone by the middle of the first round.
    It would likely take our 23 and our 1st next year to move up. I suppose that two 2020 3rds might be enough.

Let's be clear. I am neither suggesting or rejecting this idea. That evaluation is for the team to make.

9. Wilfork#75

Wilfork#75 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +744
    I’m probably in the minority here but I think Lawrence is overrated. Don’t get me wrong, he is a good QB prospect but the hype he got last year was ridiculous. He wasn’t very good in the 2019 season and his entire reputation is built on one incredible game against Alabama in the 2019 National Championship game. He might be the #1 QB prospect in 2021 but he is no sure thing. In my opinion Joe Burrow this year is the far superior QB prospect even though we won’t have a shot at either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3,274
    he started out the year slow, no doubt, but from about the fifth game on, he was incredible.

Best qb I have seen in college since luck.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. tasmlab

tasmlab Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,582
    Last season, there were 11 games where the Pats only needed 14 points to win or tie. They might not be able to lose something resembling 15-16 games even if they tried.

• Like Like x 1
  12. XLIX

XLIX Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +14,055
    <sigh>

The Colts 100% tanked the year after they lost Manning. Suck for Luck was in full effect. A better comparison is that they went from 10 wins in Manning's final year to 11 wins in Luck's first.

• Like Like x 1
  13. farn

farn Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,934
    Was any of it worth it ? People on here love Luck much more than I, but he amounted to nothing. Yes, his GM was atrocious. But his BEST result was “losing a blowout to NE in the AFCCG”. Best result.

So, unless teams are happy to be “pretty good”, did the suck for Luck work ? To me, teams should be building towards championships. Indy failed.

I’d be very disappointed if the Patriots ever tried to lose.

14. sean10mm

sean10mm Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,390
    Belichick won't do a deliberate tank.

This season has every indication of being a down year, mostly due to a combination of FA/draft busts (some foreseeable, some fluke-y) and lack of salary cap space, but by 2021 they'll be right back in the top 10 in available cap space.

NFL 2021 Salary Cap Tracker

Don't be stunned if 2020 is kind of crap by Patriots standards until they can get 2 fresh drafts and 2021 free agency to reload. Assuming of course the hit on a QB at any point in there.

15. XLIX

XLIX Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +14,055
    I feel the same way about Lawrence. He did so well that one game that the media elevated him to godhood status. Last year was nothing special. He gets very fat playing in a conference which is obscenely weak. I don't think a single ACC school, except for his own Clemson team, finished in the top 25.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 11:16 AM
  16. stinkypete

stinkypete In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +887
    Under no circumstances do I see a Belichick coached team tanking. If the OL returns healthy and the running game re-establishes itself, this team could still win the AFCE. If the bottom falls out, 5 - 6 wins is still the floor.

That said, it would not shock me to see the team position itself to make a run at Lawrence, should the chips fall in that direction. If there was ever a year to move strategically move a 1st round pick into the future, this would be the one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,161
    Suck for Luck. Indy was able to secure and pick one of the best QB prospects over the last 20 year's. It's not Luck's fault that organization was a dumpster fire.

They supplied him with decent weapons, an atrocious OL and rushed him back from different injuries.

Luck was a great prospect, very good QB who ended up in a terrible situation. Bringing up how he was outplayed by us does absolutely nothing for me ...

He lost to the greatest dynasty, QB, HC etc while playing for those ****birds in Indy? Hardly a deal breaker.

Ask any scout or GM and Luck would have probably been the #1 overall pick every year since he came out.

18. Chevrolet

Chevrolet On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +789
    I do not think they will tank intentionally. Also I think they will likely win 7 or 8 games. However a few critical injuries could absolutely rocket them do a disastrous losing record and a top draft pick. THe have ZERO depth especially on offense and their coaching staff is so green.

I personally think Joe Burrows will be a better pro than either Lawrence or Tua.

19. farn

farn Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,934
    I guess you made my point. You seem to think Luck was fantastic and still, the franchise went nowhere. Winning SBs or working towards SBs is all that matters. And if getting the generational player (I think he was vastly overrated) doesn’t get you anywhere, why bother tanking ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. JPsPats

JPsPats Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +783
    Wonder what it would take to move up to #3 with Detroit and take Tua.

Maybe Bill can give Matty P a call and guarantee him the d coordinator job back here once Detroit fires him after this season, as part of the deal LOL.