PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Supplemental draft ahead for LB Ahmad Brooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour93

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
www.kffl.com

NCAA | Brooks and two others dismissed from Virginia
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:05:13 -0800

Joe Schad, of ESPN.com, reports Virginia head coach Al Groh has dismissed LB Ahmad Brooks along with DE Vince Redd and CB Tony Franklin from the football team. In January, Brooks announced he would not enter the NFL Draft. Now, transferring to a lower-division school or entering the NFL's supplemental draft are his options. Brooks, once viewed as a first-round prospect, chose to return in large part, however, because his stock had slipped.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospects/ahmad_brooks.html

id KILL to get him, can someone explain to me how the supplemental draft works? where would/ do the pats pick?

Brooks is an amazing talent and well versed in the 3-4, but there are too many red flags there. I don't think BB is interested in anyone who has been dismissed from his team.

Brooks is an amazing talent and well versed in the 3-4, but there are too many red flags there. I don't think BB is interested in anyone who has been dismissed from his team.

dillon came close haha, (its really easy to use the dillon example when talking about players with bad attitudes, but you're right, not all of them will work out)

mavfan2390 said:
id KILL to get him, can someone explain to me how the supplemental draft works? where would/ do the pats pick?

It basically works like this: the order is picked by lottery an hour before the draft and each team goes throught the draft just like the normal one rounds one through seven, except in the supplemental draft noone is usually taken. If a team does draft a player they would have to forfit that pick during the normal draft, for example if drafted Ahmad in the sixth round, we would lose our sixth round pick in april. Pete Carroll, when he was our coach, took CB J'Rod Cherry from Arizona State in the supplemental draft a few years ago. It cost a fourth rounder and proved to be a complete waist.

Given the Belichick's pal, Al Groh, is the one who gave him the boot I wouldn't expect Belichick to get a strong recommedation on going after him.

RxJock1120 said:
It basically works like this: the order is picked by lottery an hour before the draft and each team goes throught the draft just like the normal one rounds one through seven, except in the supplemental draft noone is usually taken. If a team does draft a player they would have to forfit that pick during the normal draft, for example if drafted Ahmad in the sixth round, we would lose our sixth round pick in april. Pete Carroll, when he was our coach, took CB J'Rod Cherry from Arizona State in the supplemental draft a few years ago. It cost a fourth rounder and proved to be a complete waist.

This is fairly accurate, but the supplemental draft is held after the regular draft, so the pick forfeited is in the next years regular draft, in this case 2007. Also, it does not proceed like the normal draft, where teams take turns on the clock or pass, it runs like a silent auction, where you bid what you are willing to risk on the player.

mavfan2390 said:
dillon came close haha, (its really easy to use the dillon example when talking about players with bad attitudes, but you're right, not all of them will work out)
Bad attitude or "me" attitude, the kid wants what he wants when he wants it, rules be damned. Dillon wanted to win and not be second fiddle to another RB, a much better mindset to work with. Brooks is Raider trash and a poor fit for NE.

Does the NFL drug test before the sup. draft??? Will Brooks pass it????

If not, then it's hello Oakland for Mr. Brooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes