PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Strongest Pats team??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Its the day before the Broncos game and I want to pose a question. How do rank the patriots teams from 2001 through NEXT YEARS team in order of strength?

I'd say 2003, 2006, 2004, 2005, 2001 and finally 2002.

In other words I think that next years club will be better than all except the 2003 club,and its possible it could surpass that one as well. The juggernaut is young, huge, talented, and very very deep!

I know that that may be controversial but Ithink a debate on Next Years prospective team is worth discussing...

Last edited:
I think next year will be our most talented team, with only Givens and Neal as significant FA. We'll have some other attrition and some players on the down side of the curve but overall the team is young and should be getting better.

Things get a little dicey heading into 2007 with more FA looming after 2006 and 2007 which is why we need to use this deep draft with extra picks wisely.

I think the best team was when we beat Carolina in the superbowl. That year, every pats game, I always knew the pats would win. It was a feeling, they looked unstoppable.

Then I'd say the last year against the Eagles. They weren't quite as strong, but extrmely dominant.

Id say this year comes in third because we've established ourselves to be a storng team over the years and in the procress aquired experience.

And lastly, the first superbowl was the weakest, yet still a strong team. IT was mostly a suprise when they won the superbowl. It came from heart.

i think if this team (05) had been healthy, they would have gone 13-3 and we would list them in the top 2... the team that started 4-4 this year is not the team we have right now.

I think next years team should be better than this team.

I'll go

2004, 2003, 2006, 2005, 2001, 2002.

2004 was Corey Dillon in his prime. (enough to balance out DB issues)
2003 was Ted Washington.
2006 will be like 2005 only healthier (for goodness' sake let's hope!)
2005 has become very good. Better than 2001, I think. (e.g. QB and LBs)

I think if they do something with the tailbacks 2006 can have a lot of potential (a good corner wouldn't hurt either - but hopefully Gay & Poole will be back and kicking arse), and the massive amounts of guys on IR will have to recover well. Until all that happens, I wouldn't put 2006 ahead of anything.

But like so many reporters love saying, they'll still have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

2006 will be the age of Duane Starks, shut-down corner. And Ellis Hobbs, shut down corner. And Asante Samuel, top-notch nickel! And James Sanders, emerging safety!

pats1 said:
2006 will be the age of Duane Starks, shut-down corner. And Ellis Hobbs, shut down corner. And Asante Samuel, top-notch nickel! And James Sanders, emerging safety!

are you serious about Duane Starks ?

i agree for Hobbs, Samuel and Sanders.

Dunno about next year, but here's how I'd rate the Patriots best teams...

1976 :D

oldrover said:
Dunno about next year, but here's how I'd rate the Patriots best teams...

1976 :D

1 - 2004
2 - 2003
3 - 1976
4 - 1985
5 - 2005

Quite honestly, IN THE PLAYOFFS, 2005 could be the best of the bunch.
This is the best offense we have had.
The defense has played better since Dec 1 than any BB team of the past after 12/1. (And the others were excellent too)

IF, IF, IF the defense continues to play as it has in the last month and a half, the 2005 playoff season version of the Pats may be the best of the bunch.

I would say 2004 has the post season honor at this point, throttling Indy, destryoing Pitt, and in the SB I never had 1 second of doubt.

2003 was the best team overall. Their playoff season was, of course, excellent also but the 04 squad had a better 3 games.

Just without even considering how, by winning the SB, the Pats appear that they will have gone through teams that were 12-4,13-3,14-2,13-3 to win it.
No one has done that.

NoRomancelnChina said:
I think the best team was when we beat Carolina in the superbowl. That year, every pats game, I always knew the pats would win. It was a feeling, they looked unstoppable.

Wait a second!!!!!! How unstoppable did they look in the 31-0 opener at Buffalo that year. The roof was caving in and everyone was panicking. Then, in the 4th game they lost to a less-than-mediocre Redskins team.

They looked unstoppable after the Miami OT game. But I don't know anyone who thought that way within the first 4 games of that year.

That being said, I agree with you that that probably was the best Patriots team so far.
(I just can't agree that every Pats game I knew they would win - September was mighty dicey).

Last edited:
2006 Juggernaut...

Why I think 2006 could be very good. By position:

QB: Brady, Cassel and Flutie Now that Cassel has a 116 QB rating agasinst a 9-7 club he will be better than as a rookei. Flutie will settle into a role as vet backup

WR: There isn't enough room for all the WRs. Possession+; Branch, Givens (resigned) PK, and Brown . Speed; Davis, BJ, and Dwight.

TEs: Graham, Watson and Weaver. Experienced and Healthy Graham and Watsons's not a rook anymore. Weaver gives you the TE blocking you want in a third TE, plus he can catch the short ones too. Can't forget he is a former starter for two clubs.

OT: Light, Kayczur, Ashworth, Gorin and Britt. Not bad at all, but no susperstar here.
G/C: Mankins, Neal, Koppen, Hochstein, Mruzckowski, Yates et cetera. Two probowl possible Gs, and Koppen will start getting probowl votes at C too. Hochstein has developed into a better than average starter and hence a superb backup.

RBs: Dillon Faulk, Pass, Evans and X & Y. More depth to come. Fuilk still has it, and Cory still has the star potential. Plus possible reinforcements too.

DL: Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Green, plus Hill, Wright, Thomas and X... The front line plus Green is experienced and of Superbowl quality, now so is the remainder and perhaps augmented too.

ILBs: Bruschi and Vrabel both heady signal callers and players, Beisel will have a year of BB's defesnive theories under his belt, and its starting to show off of the Jax game. Brown is being asked to do what he is used to doing, and be a spot player, not impossible for an oldie but goodie.
Claridge is an unknown, but Chatham has demonstrated he can be an ILB reserve too.double digit tackles in Miami game.
OLBs: Willie and Colvin are the front line and TBC, Brown and Chatham plus X & Y, look to be fairly good reserves. Chatham showed that last season and TBC is still learning. This is the year of the LB and BB/SP will harvest a couple of OLB/DEs, IMHO. The 2005 clubs team weakness, although Vrabel can swing in a pinch but at the cost of hurting the ILB situation.

CBs; Youth together with experience. Hobbs, Gay, Samuel, Poteat and Starks. plus X . Chance for Poole, Scott and perhaps Hawkins as reserves plus Mr X too...
S; Wilson and Hawkins with Harrsion plus X and Sanders, Scott, Scott and Stone not bad.

ST: Vinetieri ands Mller, 'Nuf said. Stone has taken Izzo's thunder, TBC and Chatham are fine ST; Davis may lose out too. The changing of the ST guard is starting.

Only old timers are Willie 34, Bruschi 33, Vinatieri, Miller, Brown(s), 34,36 (maybe) and Dillon 31. Perhaps the team is too young ????

But in analyzing this forthcoming team every position has an experienced starter and every position has a reserve who has demonstrated the ability to be at least a borderline starter as well. That is well above average depth.

Some positions will be augmented by highly drafted rookies too. In fact the only probable opennings will be filled by day one draftees, What will we do with the rest of the draft picks? How can it not be the strongest?

Last edited:
2003 edges out 2004 for me. The Homeland Defense, aka The Boston D Party, was amazing.

To rate next year kind of invalidates the whole thing.

2004 Pats are easily the best Pats team of all time.

On defense they could stop the run and the pass.

On offense they could run and pass.

No other Pats team was ever so complete in every phase of the game.

They dominated teams in the post season.

Next is the 2003 team.

On defense they could stop the run and pass.

On offense, they was no running game. They could only pass.

Very good team, but no where near the 2004 team.

Next is the 2001 team.

Then Probably this team.

Then the 2002 team.

The 2004 team will probably go down as the best in Pats history!

Seymour93 said:
2003 edges out 2004 for me. The Homeland Defense, aka The Boston D Party, was amazing.

You mean the team that squeeked by in the Playoffs as oppose to the team that dominated in the playoffs?

The Boston D party held the Colts to 14.

The 2004 team held them to 3.

I could see where they would be more of a sentimental favorite. But on the field they were definately not better then the 2004 team. The 2004 team had almost no weaknesses. They finnished off teams. The 2003 team won more close games!

Last edited:
I agree with aj's comments.

2003-2004 has to be the best overall: 10 wins against teams with at least 10 wins each! But as aj pointed out, has any patriot team done better than the 2004-2005 playoff run? I agree the current team COULD be the strongest. For the playoffs, I think the team could be as strong as last year's team. The open question is consistency. We will see soon!

And BTW, not accounting for the relative number of players on IR, the 2006 team WILL be stronger than this team. That is what the off-season is about!!!!
--------------------------
AndyJohnson said:
The defense has played better since Dec 1 than any BB team of the past after 12/1. (And the others were excellent too)

IF, IF, IF the defense continues to play as it has in the last month and a half, the 2005 playoff season version of the Pats may be the best of the bunch.

I would say 2004 has the post season honor at this point, throttling Indy, destryoing Pitt, and in the SB I never had 1 second of doubt.

2003 was the best team overall. Their playoff season was, of course, excellent also but the 04 squad had a better 3 games.

Just without even considering how, by winning the SB, the Pats appear that they will have gone through teams that were 12-4,13-3,14-2,13-3 to win it.
No one has done that.

AndyJohnson said:

The 2004 Pats had a running game to be feared.

This team has no rushing offense. How in the world is this years offense the best we have ever had?

Best passing yards yes, but that is mainly because we have had to pass more due to the absence of anything resembling a running game.

Last years offense was far superior!

AndyJohnson said:

How was the 2003 team better overall?

The 2004 team was basically the 2003 team plus a running game!

sarge said:
The 2004 team had almost no weaknesses. They finnished off teams. The 2003 team won more close games!

Earthwind Moreland, Troy Brown, Randy Gay, and Hank Poteat were vital members of the 2004 secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back