PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Strategy for Sunday.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuinielaBox

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Here we sit 10 and 5.........

Winning the game will probably get us the 3rd seed, because I firmly believe Kansas City will beat Cincy at Arrowhead......

That alters the Championship Trail quite a bit......

Home against Pittsburgh - Jan 8

At Denver Jan 15

At Indy (presumably) Jan 22

Super Bowl XL - Feb 4

If we rest and Nick Saban's crew beats us (I doubt very much we see Bruschi, Samuel, and other guys) and Nick Saban's team is motivated to get to 9 and 7 and continue building his fine program, we get the 4 seed.

Home against Jacksonville - Jan 8

At Indy - Jan 15

Pittsburgh, @Denver, or @Cincy - Jan 22

Super Bowl XL - Feb 5

I don't know, I think both trails are very challenging to the Patriots but depending on Bruschi's condition, winning SB XL is doable.

id rather have the 4th seed personally...

That's too much. The Team's strategy should be simple:

1. Score more points than the 'phins on sunday.
2. Take stock of where they are as a team after that.

But maybe that's just me. :D

fleabassist1 said:
id rather have the 4th seed personally...

Is it in your nature to go out and root against the Patriots just so they can get a date with Jacksonville, instead of trying to tackle the Bus again?

Week 17 is the hardest week....... Especially, when you know you have to play the WC week and you know in your heart, you can beat anybody when you have to.

I say, they work on their running game and pass defense.

There is no way BB lays down on Sunday. Offensively he's going to continue to work on the running game, clock control and execution on converting 3rd downs, while defensively playing semi vanilla schemes, unless we get a decent lead (like we did against the Jets) then he tones it down to total vanilla.

Agreed. You can't worry about who they might be playing down the road in the playoffs, especially who they might be playing in the 2nd week of the playoffs. I'll take either Jacksonville or Pitt -- both are very beatable, especially at home.

With that said, I think the game plan will be very similar to this week: close to 50 rushing attempts, big time of possession advantage, and maybe some additional blitz packages to try out in advance of the playoffs. I'm also knocking on wood about the injury situation...

does Beli care?

Does Belichick care about having 3rd or 4th seed? I think he cares more about getting the team's engine banging on all cylinders, as evidenced by the last 3 or 4 games being total blow-outs (last night's score notwithstanding, they basically told the Jets to 'grab my pocket, beatch'). If the guys are confident and competent, they can easily handle Pittsburgh or J'ville and IMHO a road game at Indy is easier than at Denver where the air's thinner and the weather sucks, plus the addition of a frenzied crowd starved for a home play-off game.

I think Pitt has a better chance of beating either Denver or Indy on the road than Cincy does, based on how they're playing. I'd bet on that, versus the chance that Cincy advances to the AFC Championship game.

It's possible Belichick feels the Patriots have not played WELL ENOUGH for LONG ENOUGH to rest a bunch of guys. Also, we have so many injuries, it's not like we have tons of back-up options. My guess as to who will see limited action:

Brady, Dillon, Bruschi, Seymour, Geno?, Branch, Givens, Graham.

We'll see lots of Pass and Heath, Andre Davis, Fauria, Flutie, Mike Wright, Marquise Hill, maybe a little Cassell.

Fine with me.

QuinielaBox said:
Here we sit 10 and 5.........

Winning the game will probably get us the 3rd seed, because I firmly believe Kansas City will beat Cincy at Arrowhead......

That alters the Championship Trail quite a bit......

Home against Pittsburgh - Jan 8

At Denver Jan 15

At Indy (presumably) Jan 22

Super Bowl XL - Feb 4

If we rest and Nick Saban's crew beats us (I doubt very much we see Bruschi, Samuel, and other guys) and Nick Saban's team is motivated to get to 9 and 7 and continue building his fine program, we get the 4 seed.

Home against Jacksonville - Jan 8

At Indy - Jan 15

Pittsburgh, @Denver, or @Cincy - Jan 22

Super Bowl XL - Feb 5

I don't know, I think both trails are very challenging to the Patriots but depending on Bruschi's condition, winning SB XL is doable.

If we are the 3rd or 4th seed, I don't think we will see Indy until the AFC championship game. If we are 4th, that sets up a Cinci-Pitt game that Pitt should win. That would send Pitt to Indy and the Pats to Denver. If Pitt can beat Indy (which I don't think they can) we will host them in the AFC championship game (after we beat Denver).

If we are 3rd, we will have to beat the Steelers and Denver to get to Indy. Cinci can beat the Jags but I don't think they have a shot against Indy.

Personally, I think the Jags are way overrated. I think they would loose to anybody in the playoffs, including teams from the NFC. Hence, for us, I think starting with them would be easier.

You play with your starters untill the 4th quarter, depending on the score. While I am a firm believer in keeping the team hot and not resting anyone, do we really wanna see Bruschi out there this week? No. I don't wanna risk further injury for a pointless game. I agree that we'll see alot more rushing than passing. Keep in mind, being the bull that Dillon is, he needs more carries to get going. Thats why we've been pounding Corey so much lately.

On the seeds..While I would rather have the 3rd, am I the only scared ****less to go to Denver? They always beat us, or they give us a tough time with their freaking back up QB!

What is the harm in resting Bruschi, Samuel, Graham, Dillon, Wilfork, and Seymour? and perhaps even Brady for a half.

Will we be less in playoff shape if Beisel gets more reps? What about Chad Brown pass-rushing.

Yes, we would probably lose and have to play the higher rated JAX!

PITT or even KC have a much better chance than JAX of winning a game or two. Do you disagree?

So, I would rest many of the weary, and play to win.

I'm not hoping that the Patriots lose. I just don't want to play denver in Denver. I just don't think that it's a good match up for us. I do think that we can beat Indy in Indy. But, we so have to win our first round game, so I'll focus on that one first.

As far as the Flippers game is concerned, BB should play the healthy players until the game is in hand. But, anyone who is even really questionable should sit his one out.

mgteich said:
What is the harm in resting Bruschi, Samuel, Graham, Dillon, Wilfork, and Seymour? and perhaps even Brady for a half.

Will we be less in playoff shape if Beisel gets more reps? What about Chad Brown pass-rushing.

Yes, we would probably lose and have to play the higher rated JAX!

PITT or even KC have a much better chance than JAX of winning a game or two. Do you disagree?

So, I would rest many of the weary, and play to win.

What is the harm? rust, thats what. If you think by resting a half and then a week will not generate rust, your mistaken. I think our fanbase is a tad to ****y. Thinking we can just run over who ever comes to Gilette and all.

PATSNUTme said:
I'm not hoping that the Patriots lose. I just don't want to play denver in Denver. I just don't think that it's a good match up for us. I do think that we can beat Indy in Indy. But, we so have to win our first round game, so I'll focus on that one first.

As far as the Flippers game is concerned, BB should play the healthy players until the game is in hand. But, anyone who is even really questionable should sit his one out.

Your right, it's really a nightmare matchup. One thing you wont see is Bell and Anderson doing what they did before. With Seymour back, Wilfork playing better, Vrabel and Bruschi in the middle, no way in hell Denver's run game does what it did before. Which, keep in mind was not much save for that 71 yard dash Bell had right up the gut.

But still, they have a D that is absolutely brutal at stopping the run, and LBs who will rush the pass very well. I really don't wanna go there with starved playoff fans and football players. Ecspecially in a place we historicly struggle in, even worse than pro player.

QuinielaBox said:
I say, they work on their running game and pass defense.

How do you "work on your pass defense"? Somehow sucker them into passing? I know what you mean, but it sounds funny.

Then, I take that you disagree with Belichick's approach to the last preseason game.

BionicPatriot said:
What is the harm? rust, thats what. If you think by resting a half and then a week will not generate rust, your mistaken. I think our fanbase is a tad to ****y. Thinking we can just run over who ever comes to Gilette and all.

We need to see a lot of Flutie and little Brady or Dillon against Miami. To me, Jacksonville and Indy is infinitely preferable to Pittsburgh and Denver. I don't want to see Pittsburgh until the AFC championship game. Indy is reeling. They've lost the last two games. They won't have played a real "game" for nearly a month, and I'd prefer to meet them in their very first game back. Saying that, it is possible that Indy will play with tremendous passion in tribute to Dungy's son. I remember that after Wellington Mara passed away, New York crushed a rising Washington team.

mgteich said:
Then, I take that you disagree with Belichick's approach to the last preseason game.

No, I don't. It amazes me how you people who watch this team still have no clue what BB does. The guy never rests his guys in the regular season, ever. Why would he sunday? I doubt that many starters will be out of the lineup.

You heard it first here. Graham, Bruschi and Samuel will play less than a half.

BionicPatriot said:
No, I don't. It amazes me how you people who watch this team still have no clue what BB does. The guy never rests his guys in the regular season, ever. Why would he sunday? I doubt that many starters will be out of the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back