PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers Questionable Coaching...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
almost cost them the game. Why didn't they just end the game with some kneel downs? How inept. I know they got another beautiful performance with the brilliant ref's (Polumalu's interception), but...

Colts had 3 timeouts, they couldn't run out the clock. Of course, in retrospect that would have been the percentage play.

I posted this on another, but it fits here:

Cowher's decision to risk any ball handling before making Indy burn time outs deserved to be punished and almost was except for a saving tackle by Ben. A couple zero risk QB sneaks were as likely to score. If not 2 Colt TO's (or 60 sec) would be gone, and Bettis could be used on 3rd down and maybe 4th/or a FG. Maybe Cowher needs Manning to make his decisions, but would be too dumb to take good advice.

if they had knelt down 3 times and kicked a field goal and the colts would have some kickoff return or a quick manning strike and scored a TD the steelers wouldve lost and cowher wouldve been criticized for not trying to win the game. it was the right call , just a bad play.cant play scared with your best players in.

I would have done the same thing. Then again, I'm not a head coach and I really really hate the Colts.

Running a toss pitch was the right call? Let alone Bettis fumbling, you let your QB flip the ball to the RB? No way, terrible call, choke call.

worse case scenario if you kneel down three times and make them waste the TOs, then try to score a TD on fourth down and don't make it -> the Dolts get the ball on their 1 yard line with no TOs and maybe 45-50 secs on the clock. Then at least you haven't fumbled or given them any other signs of hope and you put your D - which was terrorizing Manning - the real strength of your team on the field to stop the Dolts. Any which way you do it, you had to make them burn at least two TOs and get to 3rd down, minimum, before you try to run a play. Cowher lost his head, plain and simple.

Second guessing is great activity for posters and losers. Cowher made the right call. Indy had three time outs. If the bus scored, the game was over.

mgteich said:
Second guessing is great activity for posters and losers. Cowher made the right call. Indy had three time outs. If the bus scored, the game was over.
and if Ben had scored on either of 2 or 3 QB sneaks the game would be over. It only matters if it doesn't happen; there is no risk in the QB sneak compared to hand off or pitch. The payoff of success is a little less, but not much, since Pit had confidence to use it on 4th and 1. I know Bettis very rarely fumbles, but why take any chance? At the time I thought it(a TD) was perhaps a 'retirement' present to the Bus similar to BB having Flutie drop kick. Seems noble gesture unless it blows up.

This is not passively taking a knee!!

QB sneaks are much more risky than handing off to Bettis who hadn't fumbled all year. Asking a QB to grab the snap and push forward and get caught up in the scrum is a very bad idea. Especially as Ben has a hurting hand. It was just a freak play. Right call though. Thank heavens for the football gods who superceded the terrible officiating which borders on criminal.

Well

I posted this on another thread, but here goes:

Cowher made the right call. If the squeelers had knealt it down and kicked--indy would have gotten the ball with a minute left and a TD wins it. Instead he hands the ball to Bettis (who never fumbles by the way) to try to get 1 yard and put the game away. The squeelers all day had been getting the short yardage plays so no need to think they wouldn't hear and if they didn't the clock would still be running forcing indy to use their timeouts! A freak play happened and you can't blame him for that!

Cowher has always been accused of "playing not to lose" rather than "playing to win" --- today he learned his lesson and did the right thing and gave himself the best chance to win. Luckily today the refs couldn't do everything for the dolts and the right team won the game! They deserve credit cuase they played a great game!

Steelers Questionable Caoching....

Howie Carr has a segment on his radio show called "Standing Heads"--headlines you keep set up in type for slow news days because a story can always be written about it. This one has great potential.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes