PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you on Stidham (or at least I definitely have doubts), but would you like to give up the #15 pick just to have your heart broken in the final two minutes of the game with regularity? Because that's essentially what you'd be acquiring with it.
I have to disagree Ian. We had plenty of final-two-minute heartbreakers this year with Cam, and Stafford is a significant upgrade over what is left of Newton. Hard to imagine the results stay the same with such an improvement at the most important position.

i ike stafford......it's all going to come down to cost/benefit....they need an upgrade at QB, and that's not coming in this draft, either next year or long term....at the same time, they need to get talent out of this draft elsewhere as well.....

Yeah - we’re not going to find anything like this at #15 if we’re looking at QB there.

I would love to create a package that includes someone like Gilmore but it sounds like Detroit wants picks. I would send #15 but I’d rather use that on someone like Waddle... Stafford isn’t going to be super successful without better skill players. At the same time, acquiring him might mean better success trying to sign Golladay.

I would love to create a package that includes someone like Gilmore but it sounds like Detroit wants picks. I would send #15 but I’d rather use that on someone like Waddle... Stafford isn’t going to be super successful without better skill players. At the same time, acquiring him might mean better success trying to sign Golladay.
We need someone like a Waddle or Jamar chase. Stafford would look pedestrian without any weapons

Yeah - we’re not going to find anything like this at #15 if we’re looking at QB there.

Yeah I don't get this idea that the QB at #15 solves our issue and is guaranteed to be anywhere near this level.

Also, we were 7-9 with this roster. Hard to believe adding stafford wouldn't change the outcomes in some of these close games.

I also doubt Bill at his age wants to pin his next 3 years and hopes on a drafted QB. I think after this year he wants to compete right away.

He played for an organization that’s won one playoff game in 50 years.

He played with great weapons. Also never won a division title. It’s not like some those packer teams where way better than the lions. 2013 team should have won the division. 2016 as well.

the market is going to be interesting.....Indy has to be heavily interested

if the 49ers look to ryan, garrapolo can be had....but his contract is ludicrous.....stafford is a better deal, better QB

there's just so many teams looking for a QB, and not much help at QB in the draft after the top pick

I don’t know if Patricia being here helps or hurts our chances. But they at least need to be in the mix.

Chiefs traded Alex Smith to WFT for a third and a player. Smith was the same age as Stafford.

Would a second + Gilmore do it?

the draft is light on QBs......after the obvious top......there's some FA options out there, but the market could be active, lots of teams potentially looking, with potential big ben & brees retirements, etc......the contracts outside of stafford for top end vets are not great

Newton might be the most viable option (never thought I'd say this, but...).....upgrade via the draft, hope the COVID returners stick, use FA to upgrade other needs.....and look to the 2022 draft class to fill long term need

I agree with you on Stidham (or at least I definitely have doubts), but would you like to give up the #15 pick just to have your heart broken in the final two minutes of the game with regularity? Because that's essentially what you'd be acquiring with it.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking too. A year ago, I hated the idea of paying $20M/year for a hypothetical bridge QB. Stafford is that hypothetical bridge QB, except we're also talking about giving up our highest 1st round pick in years for him.

He's the kind of QB I would be okay with if he fell into our laps for barely any trade capital, and with our improved cap situation in 2021 I'm even more okay with the idea of paying $20M for that level of QB. But our 1st round pick? No way. It will 100% not under any circumstances win us a ring. I don't care if swapping Newton for Stafford in 2020 would have won us more than 7 games. It wouldn't have won us a Super Bowl. You only make big trades like that if it could win you a Super Bowl.

Not for me, IMO numbers are inflated due to playing so much garbage time football in the 4th Qtr, Also more relient on players making a play to catch it rather than putting the ball on the numbers/dime. Hoping Jimmy G becomes available personally for a 3rd/4th, then giving him the best o-line through free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back