PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite all of these factors, we were only a couple of plays from a wild card berth, and we really should have beaten the much heralded Bills down the stretch.
NE was also a couple of plays away from a top 5 draft pick?

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Ian what do you expect ? I think we are "obliged" to try with MS or JG...or take Mac Jones at 15 and a veteran
Where would you go ?
My feeling is they're going to try to acquire Garoppolo. But if that doesn't happen, obviously the draft is where they'll probably look for one but I'm stuck on who the "bridge" QB is going to be...I really don't know what I think they'll do there yet. I just truly have doubts about whether or not McDaniels could fix Stafford - and paying him $20 to $30 million just doesn't seem likely. He's just not worth it.

That's what's frustrating about this past season. It was essentially a lost year at the QB position because they didn't accomplish anything. They didn't develop Stidham well enough to get anything for him in a trade (maybe a conditional 7th rounder...?) and the only result they came away with is that Newton doesn't have it anymore (and neither does Hoyer).

So it's essentially back to the drawing board. My worry about the Garoppolo situation is that Houston will likely want to ship Watson out of the conference, so Miami seems like a long shot. The 49ers seem like a logical fit and Caserio obviously knows Jimmy. I don't think they want him, but I think Nick knows Jimmy G would be a competent QB who they could be competitive with.

But at this point, that's at least where my head is at. I'm probably wrong, but the only thing I feel 100% confident about is that after all the games I've watched him play, Stafford is not a guy I'm comfortable with.

Do you guys think trading #15 for Garoppolo would be possible? SF would have enough draft capital to move up and grab their new guy.
I want Jimmy.
Stafford only checks 2 of BB's boxes:

1. Seasoned veteran QB. Check
2. Half decent QB. Check
3. $1M/yr salary. No Check.

That last one is our sweet spot.

Maybe BB can talk Fitz or Jameis into playing here for minimum salaries. Those 2 would also be good at giving Harry shoulder rubs to feed his confidence.
I would be happy with Fitzpatrick, no thanks on Winston, I think he is every bit as dedicated to becoming a better QB as Manziel was.

They have 60 million in cap room. 5-7 million difference at the QB position to get a good info instead of a guy you can’t really win with is worth it. Jason McCourty cost 5 mill. last year. Would you rather have brisset and jmac or a real qb for. 5 mill more

There is another way to look at the salary cap implications. The 10th to 15th pick, Mac Jones, in the draft makes $3.8M to $4.2 per year for four years. Going with a rookie QB is risky but a huge advantage. Look at the Chiefs over the last 4 years, look at the Ravens now, etc. It is not $5M extra, it is $20M to $30M extra, which is two or three FA guys like Hightower added to our D.

My feeling is they're going to try to acquire Garoppolo. But if that doesn't happen, obviously the draft is where they'll probably look for one but I'm stuck on who the "bridge" QB is going to be...I really don't know what I think they'll do there yet. I just truly have doubts about whether or not McDaniels could fix Stafford - and paying him $20 to $30 million just doesn't seem likely. He's just not worth it.

That's what's frustrating about this past season. It was essentially a lost year at the QB position because they didn't accomplish anything. They didn't develop Stidham well enough to get anything for him in a trade (maybe a conditional 7th rounder...?) and the only result they came away with is that Newton doesn't have it anymore (and neither does Hoyer).

So it's essentially back to the drawing board. My worry about the Garoppolo situation is that Houston will likely want to ship Watson out of the conference, so Miami seems like a long shot. The 49ers seem like a logical fit and Caserio obviously knows Jimmy. I don't think they want him, but I think Nick knows Jimmy G would be a competent QB who they could be competitive with.

But at this point, that's at least where my head is at. I'm probably wrong, but the only thing I feel 100% confident about is that after all the games I've watched him play, Stafford is not a guy I'm comfortable with.
Ian, I too am drawing on my experience watching the Lions over the past decade, all 3 quarters of it. Stafford is clearly THE MAN.

Stafford getting put in play is going to shake some other potential trade bait loose... We might not get stafford but hopefully a piece not currently in play (jg) becomes available...

Forget that, he isn't worth a 1st rounder

• Winner
People poop on Jimmy G so bad. Yes, his injury history is not good.
But, everyone gets a pass for the assumed ACL injury per NFL player.
His first and only full season (after 2 partials in SF) he did this:
13-3 - 69% completion - 4000yds - 27TD - 13INT - and 10min away from a SB win.

At 29, I think he can still provide a well-coached, and complimentary football team a solid QB with a chance to win.

We have a goat coach, but a pretty average GM over the last few seasons. So thinking that we should be back into contender status in a season is pretty optimistic..

And to think of it from a neutral perspective, the pats on offense this year were pretty bad.. and we will lose one of our offensive line bulwarks and dpoy in thuney and Gilmore. So with so many holes, maybe two drafts to restock and get better .

I think players came in here for brady + belichick combo. Lets see how many will come in this year. For all we know Bill could redeem in a year, but from Stafford perspective he might be better served to go to colts to vie for playoffs and beyond it..

The only qb who could possibly come here in hopes of kickstarting his career would be mariota , need to see if raiders will allow that...
Yeah I’m going to stop here because this is ridiculous conversation. Frank reich is a genius and belichick can’t build a team. My god.

You could take a flyer on Stafford if you could get him for under $20-million, but you can't. He's way overpaid and the results aren't worth the price tag.

Ryan Tannehill makes 27milluon$. Mahomes will be making 45million$ next year.

20million$ is a bargain.

Personally I'd rather ship a 2nd round pick to the niners for Jimmy G which they can package with their first to get stafford

There is another way to look at the salary cap implications. The 10th to 15th pick, Mac Jones, in the draft makes $3.8M to $4.2 per year for four years. Going with a rookie QB is risky but a huge advantage. Look at the Chiefs over the last 4 years, look at the Ravens now, etc. It is not $5M extra, it is $20M to $30M extra, which is two or three FA guys like Hightower added to our D.
So you sign a veteran and draft a rookie. Sure it’s nice if you are lucky enough to have a good QB on a rookie contract for a couple of years but going cheap at qb because you think spending in QBs isn’t worth it is dumb. $5 mill more to go from a mediocre QB to a guy who can win a championship is a no brained.

Overpaid? Have you seen QB salaries?

Ryan Tannehill makes 27milluon$. Mahomes will be making 45million$ next year.

20million$ is a bargain
If a steak costs $12 a pound and a bag of shlt costs $3 a pound, it doesn’t mean you are overpaying for steak.

So you sign a veteran and draft a rookie. Sure it’s nice if you are lucky enough to have a good QB on a rookie contract for a couple of years but going cheap at qb because you think spending in QBs isn’t worth it is dumb. $5 mill more to go from a mediocre QB to a guy who can win a championship is a no brained.

Also in today's NFL you are NOT winning without a legit QB.

If the Patriots plan is to never pay another QB market rate they will never be a playoff team or super bowl team again

Also in today's NFL you are NOT winning without a legit QB.

If the Patriots plan is to never pay another QB market rate they will never be a playoff team or super bowl team again
You're 100% correct.

But Stafford would not be the guy I'd overpay for, nor would I like to see them give up #15 for him given their other long-term needs.

That newly reported demand by the Lions likely takes him out of the running for here anyway, so it may end up being a moot point.

People saying we are a couple of seasons away from being a playoff team, I disagree strongly:

League high Covid opt outs
Lost starting QB to covid for multiple games
Only decent WR out most of the year
Bad cap year
Despite all of these factors, we were only a couple of plays from a wild card berth, and we really should have beaten the much heralded Bills down the stretch.

Covid returns give us another win. Competent Qb + solid receiver, add another 3 wins and we are back in the AFC mix.

The bigger issue for me is will the Lions give Stafford any say on where he is traded to? And if they do, would he rate the Pats the same way I do...

You could even make the argument Pats were a borderline playoff team this year

Chiefs game I will always contend would have been a win if Newton played. Would have hurt them with the run option stuff. Hoyer on 2 days notice the offensive game plan got scrapped, defense was gonna have to play out of their mind and they almost did keeping it close for 3.5 quarters and that was with having to fly halfway across the country day of game

Then Pats didn't get to practice outside of a day or 2 for 2 weeks before the Denver game and it really showed. Newton and the offense was just all out of sort and set the Broncos up a few times with a short field which put them in already FG poistion which 2 FGs were the difference

Those 2 results were absolutely because of Newton getting COVID

Then there was 2 games that maybe with a better QB they would have won

@Buffalo game just better heads up play from Newton to tuck the ball or McDaniels just deciding to pound Harris at the end and that probably would have been a win

Then there was also Seattle game which Newton cuts to the outside and that's a win

I get this is all "IF IF IF" but it's just for arguments sake

7-9 maybe might have been11-5. 11-5 with the win over the Ravens gets Pats into the playoffs.

You're 100% correct.

But Stafford would not be the guy I'd overpay for, nor would I like to see them give up #15 for him given their other long-term needs.

That newly reported demand by the Lions likely takes him out of the running for here anyway, so it may end up being a moot point.
Yeah, my hope is he goes to the niners we can keep the #15 and trade a lower pick for him.

Niners are in win now mode and may figure giving a #1 for stafford who is more durable and can better run shanahans deep passing offense is a good investment

Forget that, he isn't worth a 1st rounder

has there ever been a 3 team trade?

Stafford to 49ers

Garoppolo to Pats

Picks to Lions (49ers 1st, Pats 2nd)

If Ryan or Stafford (or anyone else) ends up in SF, Jimmy would still be my #1 choice in NE. I’d not let that stop me from looking to the future / youth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back