PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I do think Indy is more likely to end up with Stafford when all is said and done.

It'll be interesting to see what trade requirement will be. I don't want them giving up #15, so if the Colts are willing to send a 1st for him, they can have him. However, if no one is willing to give up a 1st, and the teams ahead of the Patriots have drafted their future QB, we have a pretty attractive 2nd rounder, higher than the Colts at least. All depends on what teams think of Stafford and how desperate the Lions are to move him for something.

People saying we are a couple of seasons away from being a playoff team, I disagree strongly:
  • League high Covid opt outs
  • Lost starting QB to covid for multiple games
  • Only decent WR out most of the year
  • Bad cap year
Despite all of these factors, we were only a couple of plays from a wild card berth, and we really should have beaten the much heralded Bills down the stretch.

Covid returns give us another win. Competent QB + solid receiver, add another 3 wins and we are back in the AFC mix.

The bigger issue for me is will the Lions give Stafford any say on where he is traded to? And if they do, would he rate the Pats the same way I do...

I'm seeing a lot of posts talking about Stafford not wanting to come here because of Patricia. Even assuming Patricia was in a role where he'd be working directly with Stafford, have there been reports that Stafford specifically had conflict with Patricia? I know that the players in general weren't impressed by him, but I hadn't read anything saying Stafford in particular was contentious. I don't read everything though, so if I missed something let me know. Still, I'm not sure it would be enough to make Stafford bail on the situation. Patricia won't be the head coach.
I think weather would be a much bigger factor than Patricia, who isn’t going to coach him. Indy is a playoff team that plays in a dome, that’s likely more attractive to him than NE is.

with the current roster, the need to upgrade multiple positions as well as having a healthy free agent list to deal with, i'd rather not give up the 15 pick for a vet QB, nor do i see any value in a QB drafted in that position or lower.....i'd rather commit high draft resources to other roster needs, and not hamstring the roster by over committing to a QB.....if a vet can be had without over committing $$ and draft picks, i think there's several options that will reveal themselves that can help this team improve

i'm ok with stafford, i'm ok with jimmy G - IF they can be had without losing the 15 pick or over spending......i don't see a QB in the draft that can be had without moving up that is a viable solution......so that leaves a vet option as the best option for next year at the very least....the trick will be the cost - this team needs draft & $$ to fill multiple holes/deficiencies.....i believe there's going to multiple QB options that will be an upgrade while still leaving the team resources to meet those other needs; whether that is jimmy G or stafford or brissett or mariotta or other vet options remains to be seen; but this team is NOT in position to over commit to one position of need if it means other positions of need are not viably dealt with
They have 60 million in cap room. 5-7 million difference at the QB position to get a good info instead of a guy you can’t really win with is worth it. Jason McCourty cost 5 mill. last year. Would you rather have brisset and jmac or a real qb for. 5 mill more

It'll be interesting to see what trade requirement will be. I don't want them giving up #15, so if the Colts are willing to send a 1st for him, they can have him. However, if no one is willing to give up a 1st, and the teams ahead of the Patriots have drafted their future QB, we have a pretty attractive 2nd rounder, higher than the Colts at least. All depends on what teams think of Stafford and how desperate the Lions are to move him for something.

I would give up the #15 for Stafford, at $20 million it’s a good deal overall. I do however think that Indy believes they are on the cusp of truly contending and they would outbid NE for him.

I am talking from Stafford perspective. He might see colts to be a better contender than Bill. I am not saying we are a dumpster fire, but the fact that Stafford probably does not think too highly of patricia and him being back in pats fold might dissuade him further.

As for colts they have a lot of pieces set in motion. As for us we are at least a season or 2 away from contention.

The eagles were never the same once frank left and the colts have gotten stronger and all they need is a stud QB.
The jury is still out on Bill without brady. So if my career is at stake , I would go to less risky proposition which is colts..
We were a competent QB away from being equal to the colts and they now have no QB so we start even and we have 60 mill in cap space. They have frank reich we have bill belichick.
the jury is out on the GOAT HC bit reich is genius? What are you smoking man?

I would give up the #15 for Stafford, at $20 million it’s a good deal overall. I do however think that Indy believes they are on the cusp of truly contending and they would outbid NE for him.
I’d respond that I would give 15 for Stafford as you assess him, but I assess him differently and don’t want him at all.

Do you guys think trading #15 for Garoppolo would be possible? SF would have enough draft capital to move up and grab their new guy.
I want Jimmy.

Unfortunately I do think Indy is more likely to end up with Stafford when all is said and done.
Stafford has never played in cold weather.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Is a first rounder really the market for Jimmy? I like Jimmy, but I ain't coughing up #15 for a qb whose most questionable quality is durability.

How about a 3rd rounder? Oh wait...

Do we really have that clear of an assessment on him Ian? I saw the Lions lose a lot of close games and it was rarely at the fault of Stafford.
I watched a fair amount of games in Detroit. He had a lot of games where he didn't play well until late and they came up just short, often with him turning it over during a comeback bid. It was incredibly frustrating and definitely made me glad I wasn't a Lions fan. But the thought of him here frightens me.

This doesn't look like the numbers of someone who is "useless". If you define that as useless, then so are Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson.
View attachment 29898

There's just too much black-and-white in there. Is Stafford a franchise QB in the Brady/Rodgers/Mahomes mold? Of course not, but that is not the standard. Stafford's had some good-to-great receivers available in his career, Megatron, Golden Tate, Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay are all quality weapons. However, football is a team game and Detroit has never managed to assemble a balanced team, which is what you need when you want to win with QBs that are not the top-class HOF ones. Their running game has been pedestrian throughout Stafford's time there. The offensive line also rarely a strong unit. Defensively they were an average unit only twice in his decade over there. 2014 when they were 3rd in points and 2nd in yards and 2018 when they were 16th in points and 10th in yards.

That being said, I'm lukewarm into the idea of trading a first-round pick for him because I think the team has too many holes to address. Getting Stafford would make sense if the team has a solid base where you could anticipate that adding Stafford could propel them into contention for getting a playoff win or two. However, the Patriots are most likely in year 1 of a rebuild so Stafford's on the market a year too early for him to be worth a first for the Patriots. Now, if they can get him for a 2nd (which I doubt), that would be a different story.

The voice of reason...

As of last season: 7-56 vs teams that finished with a winning record. Winning percentage of .111. That’s not explainable by statistical variance or supporting cast. It reinforces what many are saying: he’s a guy who is never great when he needs to be, though often great when he doesn’t need to be (against bottom feeders.)

I think 15 is worth it over a crapshoot in the draft or another season of Cam. Stafford isn’t THAT expensive either and he is a very good QB. I think McDaniels is a big upgrade over whatever offensive coaching he’s had to date.
You could take a flyer on Stafford if you could get him for under $20-million, but you can't. He's way overpaid and the results aren't worth the price tag.

Everyone seems to forget that while we give JMD a lot of crap, and knock BB for his GMing lately, they're still the best maximizer of talent in the biz. ANY OTHER staff would have gone 2-14 with our roster this year.

We have plenty of money to add a legit WR, pass-catching TE, EDGE player in FA.
Secondary help, OG/OT backup, LB, DT in the draft
And continue a lot of promise in young pieces already here
Then any pro-level QB with smarts and some mobility could win here.
But I wouldn't be upset if its Stafford or JG. Either could give you 5 good years in a John Elway kinda way from 94-98

If Stafford goes to Niners, I would say the likelihood of Jimmy G back to pats goes up about 10,000%.
This would be a win win. Pats could focus at #15 on TE , WR or DT.
Jimmy G would give Pats a reasonable chance to get back in playoffs.
Great time to get Jimmy G, as his value is relatively low. I think it would take a 2nd or maybe a 3rd and a 4th

We were a competent QB away from being equal to the colts and they now have no QB so we start even and we have 60 mill in cap space. They have frank reich we have bill belichick.
the jury is out on the GOAT HC bit reich is genius? What are you smoking man?
We have a goat coach, but a pretty average GM over the last few seasons. So thinking that we should be back into contender status in a season is pretty optimistic..

And to think of it from a neutral perspective, the pats on offense this year were pretty bad.. and we will lose one of our offensive line bulwarks and dpoy in thuney and Gilmore. So with so many holes, maybe two drafts to restock and get better .

I think players came in here for brady + belichick combo. Lets see how many will come in this year. For all we know Bill could redeem in a year, but from Stafford perspective he might be better served to go to colts to vie for playoffs and beyond it..

The only qb who could possibly come here in hopes of kickstarting his career would be mariota , need to see if raiders will allow that...

You could take a flyer on Stafford if you could get him for that, but you can't. He's way overpaid and the results aren't worth the price tag.
Ian what do you expect ? I think we are "obliged" to try with MS or JG...or take Mac Jones at 15 and a veteran
Where would you go ?

Stafford only checks 2 of BB's boxes:

1. Seasoned veteran QB. Check
2. Half decent QB. Check
3. $1M/yr salary. No Check.

That last one is our sweet spot.

Maybe BB can talk Fitz or Jameis into playing here for minimum salaries. Those 2 would also be good at giving Harry shoulder rubs to feed his confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back