PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sportscenter: Kiper has us picking......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
At #21,LB Bobby Carpenter Ohio State. Interestingly enough he has us passing up DE Mathias Kiwanuka Boston College and RB Laurence Maroney Minnesota. I think if Kiwanuka or Maroney are there, we pick one of them, despite Carpenter being a possible stud LB.

We can only take one and I'll be very happy to take Carpenter. If there is a sure bet it's him.

Kiper usually gets the top 10 right, but beyond that, he goes south on who picks what. So, why even bother listening to him. He has yet to figure out how the Pats do their draft board. Especially since they refuse to use any of the Scouting services.

re:

I am an advocate of taking the best middle linebacker on the board with our #1.

We did not have a dominant run-stuffing, goal-line linebacker this year and it hurt us in the red zone.

Also, Bruschi and Vrabel are not old yet, but will soon be.

Beisel is NOT, and will not, the answer at middle linebacker.

Kiper forgot to take a look at the number of LBs we have taken in the first round. I would be shocked if we took a LB. Not mad at all, but shocked.

well

Carpenter is a stud for sure,,,but my gut tells me that we take Kiwanuka!

huskeralk said:
Kiper forgot to take a look at the number of LBs we have taken in the first round. I would be shocked if we took a LB. Not mad at all, but shocked.

I understand not expecting a LB at the #21 spot but I also never expected an OL to be taken with a 1st rounder either. You never know with Belichick.

I would be stoked with Bobby Carpenter. I fell in love with him after watching he and the Ohio State defense all but shut down Vince Young's ground attack earlier this season.

I saw a mock draft that had us taking Demeco Ryans. Solid pick, no complaints. However, I scrolled down and saw LenDale White taken at #27. I would cry if White was on the board and we passed, unless there is someone ridiculous still up there like Wilfork was in 2004. Ryans is not one of those people. AJ Hawk would be.

maverick4 said:
I am an advocate of taking the best middle linebacker on the board with our #1.

We did not have a dominant run-stuffing, goal-line linebacker this year and it hurt us in the red zone.

Also, Bruschi and Vrabel are not old yet, but will soon be.

Beisel is NOT, and will not, the answer at middle linebacker.

You're right. And its a good thing that the Patriots don't use a MIDDLE LINEBACKER. The Pats use an INSIDE LINEBACKER. And there is a difference.

As for your evaluation of Beisel, sorry, but I will take my opinion and that of people like Box, who believe that Beisel made significant progress in his 1st full year as an ILB and who will remain a project who should get more time next season.

As for the dominant run-stuffing linebacker, Ryan Claridge was pegged for that until he got "hurt" in training camp. It will be interesting to see how he does when he returns.

Where did Kiper have Tamba Hali going?

Also, I have to agree with others. No way the Pats draft carpenter over Kiwanuka unless they feel that Carpenter's value is more than Kiwanuka. And that's highly unlikely.

The BC kid will be a bust like Mamula.

groundgame said:

Why do people put players at similar positions from the same school into categories? Yeah, the BC defensive line produced Mike Mamula. It also produced Fred Smerlas. Yeah, Andy Katzenmoyer was a OSU LB. So was Chris Spielman.

Players are all different.

Well we do have 1 LB who was a 1st rounder, Willie Mac... I could see drafting 2 DE's who could be groomed for the OLB role in BB's 3-4. Tamba Hali, 6-3 267 from PSU or Mathias Kiwanuka, 6-7 262 from BC.

Obiviously a lot will depend on how BB/SP evaluate them as people, do they love FB?
Would they be good Patriots?

huskeralk said:
He probably forgot to look at how many OG we've taken before picking Mankins too. And I don't care if he was a LT at Fresno State, it doesn't look like he's moving outside any time soon. Belichick is no dummy - he has Vrabel inside now, if he stays with that he's going to need an OLB who can be ready to play soon. And if not he'll need an ILB ready to play soon.

question???

Is there any way that we draft Kiwanuka and turn him into a LB like Teddi, ect... just wondering?

groundgame said:

Mike Mamula was a product of the scouting combine. He had awesome workouts there and shot up the charts. Kiwanuka will be fine but I dont see the Pats taking him.

I dont think they take a LB either in the first round, unless they think the red-shirted Ryan Claridge will be nothing. I think they'll take a shut down corner.

mtbykr said:
Is there any way that we draft Kiwanuka and turn him into a LB like Teddi, ect... just wondering?

If we draft a DE, he will HAVE to be an elephant like Willie because we simply don't have room for any more pure DEs in our 3-4 (unless BB really doesn't think that Big Sey will stay).

Last edited:
Both Kiwanuka & Hali ar college DE who could play OLB in BB's system. I could see either being drafted.

I just posted what unfortunately became a very looong post on the draft, so I'll be brief.

I want to draft OL in the first round, and again either in the 2nd or with the 2007 1st.

Its hard to use the term 'missing ingredient' with the 3 time Chamos, but I think the best way to guarantee a long term dynasty is to surround Brady, and BBs D (lets face it he'll find players anywhere he needs to to always have a top D) with the best OL in the NFL.

I think Light, Mankins, Kaczur and 2 potential all-pros could very well become the best OL in the NFL.

Who could beat Brady and a BB D that had the best OL in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes