Next Up: vs 49ers
Pick Results: SF: 38.2% at NE: 61.8%
Sun
Oct 25th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Back during Pats Dynasty IA and my days as an AOLe, a discussion came up about the fact that the NYFL could some day play to empty stadiums due to the extreme money they were receiving from TV contracts.

We're kind of at that point now and in some ways it's good and in some ways it's bad. Let's go over them one by one.

PGA - I put this first because, to me, this is a much better watch without the fans. There are no greens surrounded by corporate seating (mostly empty) and no large logos in every view. All we get to see is the beauty of the course. Sure, there aren't any roars from the crown that the players may miss, but I bet most of them like it this way more, just them and the course.

MLB - I gave this game up decades ago and haven't seen it lately. I can't imagine that it could get any more boring, even without fans.

NBA - I think this game is impacted the most without the fans. Those sudden outbursts as a ball swishes through is electric. I did manage to watch some games but the fake fans turned me off. It comes across to me as cheesy.

NHL - I think hockey is in the same place as the NBA and will miss the fans the most.

MLS - If you added up all the time that I ever watched or played soccer it wouldn't add up to 2 hours. I'll have to rely on the soccer fans for their take.

Kdo5

Pro Bowl Player
Back during Pats Dynasty IA and my days as an AOLe, a discussion came up about the fact that the NYFL could some day play to empty stadiums due to the extreme money they were receiving from TV contracts.

We're kind of at that point now and in some ways it's good and in some ways it's bad. Let's go over them one by one.

PGA - I put this first because, to me, this is a much better watch without the fans. There are no greens surrounded by corporate seating (mostly empty) and no large logos in every view. All we get to see is the beauty of the course. Sure, there aren't any roars from the crown that the players may miss, but I bet most of them like it this way more, just them and the course.

MLB - I gave this game up decades ago and haven't seen it lately. I can't imagine that it could get any more boring, even without fans.

NBA - I think this game is impacted the most without the fans. Those sudden outbursts as a ball swishes through is electric. I did manage to watch some games but the fake fans turned me off. It comes across to me as cheesy.

NHL - I think hockey is in the same place as the NBA and will miss the fans the most.

MLS - If you added up all the time that I ever watched or played soccer it wouldn't add up to 2 hours. I'll have to rely on the soccer fans for their take.
NBA needs their fans for the best product. So much energy can be brought that it legitimately can turn the tide of a game. I will say though, even in the bubble I still like the product but that may just be because it's my favorite sport.

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
NBA needs their fans for the best product. So much energy can be brought that it legitimately can turn the tide of a game. I will say though, even in the bubble I still like the product but that may just be because it's my favorite sport.
I feel the same way about hockey. I love watching hockey.

I don't care much about the fans being there or not for football. If anything fans kinda annoy me, especially drunk obnoxious ones. plus we never have to see a guy jump into the endzone seats again (this year ), that was supposed to be the Lambeau Laep" and now too many teams do it, think about how many beers get spilled during that dumb celebration. (Lol). At least it cuts down on the drunk fans, maybe?

patman12

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Love hockey and having kids that have played for about 10 years, I’m used to very few people watching in person. For me, it’s not that big of a deal but I am glad I don’t have to hear the obnoxious chants during Preds games.

NFL - I think this one will see impact because the crowds in some cities are so active. I think KC and Seattle lose a big advantage.

IcyPatriot

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
NFL will half suck with mostly empty stadiums.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

I agree but it's not my favorite sport. My favs since I was a kid were football and baseball, but baseball chased me away and football is trying to.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Love hockey and having kids that have played for about 10 years, I’m used to very few people watching in person. For me, it’s not that big of a deal but I am glad I don’t have to hear the obnoxious chants during Preds games.

NFL - I think this one will see impact because the crowds in some cities are so active. I think KC and Seattle lose a big advantage.

I grew up in a nationally known hockey mecca in the 60's-70's but I didn't try hockey until my early teens. I did enjoy the Big Bad Bruins and Orr. We used to do a trip to Montreal for a game but I stopped because of my drunken friends. Maybe they were the drunks that @Calhoun44 saw at the football games

Kdo5

Pro Bowl Player
I agree but it's not my favorite sport. My favs since I was a kid were football and baseball, but baseball chased me away and football is trying to.
Football was easily my favorite but I have zero respect for the league and owners. DeflateGate ruined it for me. None of the sports are perfect and I know some people take issue with the NBA but on the whole it is very well run and I’m invested enough in watching great players that I can sit through a lesser game for those one or two guys. You couldn’t pay me to sit through a game between the Jaguars and Jets.

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
NFL will half suck with mostly empty stadiums.

With all the kneeling and protesting and BLM fans were planning to boycott anyway. 2 years ago we saw lots of empty seats and boycotts over the disrespecting of the flag.

NFL got lucky this season with hardly any fans being allowed to attend.

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
sports suck without fans bringing the energy the players need. it pushes them to play harder and better. Stanley cup playoffs without fans are going to be extremely boring. the team that wins is going to skate around the ice with the cup in an empty stadium. I guarantee you winning won't mean as much to them like it normally will. they will all feel cheated by the entire situation. Imagine a super bowl with no fans. The whole thing sucks.
This whole pandemic sucks. But I hope these guys appreciate the distraction they are providing for many people that are having a really hard time and try to spread as much joy as they can.

BaconGrundleCandy

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
The best ticket in sports is behind or close to the net in hockey along the boards. Maybe sideline seats in the NBA?
Hearing the ice get slashed and cut up. The checks & physicality along in the corners. The players chirping. Everyone is eye level. Man I love watching a good power play and how the goalie works.

I'll probably go to 5 more football games in my life lol. Hopefully I'll get different angles at home one day. I love going but here in Boston its an event. An all day/night thing. With work it's tough. I live 5 mins from the garden so I'm home 10-15 mins after the game walking or driving.

NBA is unbelievable too. Esp up close. Those guys are so huge. So talented. Seeing that **** up close is an honor. We treat this stuff like it's just a skill but those guys are artist. Some borderline geniuses imo. All sports not just NBA. To have that talent and skill. To act that quickly while **** is breaking down around you. Obviously have to use your mind.

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
The best ticket in sports is behind or close to the net in hockey along the boards. Maybe sideline seats in the NBA?
Hearing the ice get slashed and cut up. The checks & physicality along in the corners. The players chirping. Everyone is eye level. Man I love watching a good power play and how the goalie works.

I'll probably go to 5 more football games in my life lol. Hopefully I'll get different angles at home one day. I love going but here in Boston its an event. An all day/night thing. With work it's tough. I live 5 mins from the garden so I'm home 10-15 mins after the game walking or driving.

NBA is unbelievable too. Esp up close. Those guys are so huge. So talented. Seeing that **** up close is an honor. We treat this stuff like it's just a skill but those guys are artist. Some borderline geniuses imo. All sports not just NBA. To have that talent and skill. To act that quickly while **** is breaking down around you. Obviously have to use your mind.
Hockey players are the greatest athletes in the world

BaconGrundleCandy

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Hockey players are the greatest athletes in the world
I love this debate!!

I think 90% of most sports are effort, physical/mental toughness, footwork & misdirection. Talent makes up the other 50%.

I think one could make a case chirpers have they best hand/eye coordination? Handling a puck without looking at it:excited:. Skating 25 mph, curling around the net/boards, dodging checks while guys with sticks our slashing you, lifting your stick. Its amazing. Saucy saucers. One-timers.

Toughness is unmatched pound for pound. Like dirty, rough hockey is as physical as it gets. With sticks. Almost no padding lol. If you played you know. Think Michael Bennett's pads but smaller. Just as tough as it gets. Benches 8 feet apart constant chirping. I mean at times you literally go toe to toe and fight to settle ****.

Explosive athletes. Acceleration, quick twitch. Maybe not as good as others but it's there. Cardio is off the charts.

I've always thrown out baseball players when you talk about pound for pound athletes. Guys that could play other sports at the highest level amongst each other.

Football is out. Half the pool maybe more could only play OL/DL-OLB couldn't play baseball, hockey or NBA. Realistically how many could make it as a 5 which might be the only spot out of the big 4.
Maybe Boxing/MMA?

I think more baseball players could play QB, WR, TE, LB, DB etc. They could play hockey, maybe some 1-2-3 in the NBA. Any position in hockey.

I'm looking at this mostly from a h/w, general athletic make up standpoint. Probably putting too much thought into it.

They're all incredibly impressive. OL that can work together but then break off to pull, climb and run.

Some defensive players like Donald, Garrett & Miller are superfreaks.

Fun debate though

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I love this debate!!

I think 90% of most sports are effort, physical/mental toughness, footwork & misdirection. Talent makes up the other 50%.

I think one could make a case chirpers have they best hand/eye coordination? Handling a puck without looking at it:excited:. Skating 25 mph, curling around the net/boards, dodging checks while guys with sticks our slashing you, lifting your stick. Its amazing. Saucy saucers. One-timers.

Toughness is unmatched pound for pound. Like dirty, rough hockey is as physical as it gets. With sticks. Almost no padding lol. If you played you know. Think Michael Bennett's pads but smaller. Just as tough as it gets. Benches 8 feet apart constant chirping. I mean at times you literally go toe to toe and fight to settle ****.

Explosive athletes. Acceleration, quick twitch. Maybe not as good as others but it's there. Cardio is off the charts.

I've always thrown out baseball players when you talk about pound for pound athletes. Guys that could play other sports at the highest level amongst each other.

Football is out. Half the pool maybe more could only play OL/DL-OLB couldn't play baseball, hockey or NBA. Realistically how many could make it as a 5 which might be the only spot out of the big 4.
Maybe Boxing/MMA?

I think more baseball players could play QB, WR, TE, LB, DB etc. They could play hockey, maybe some 1-2-3 in the NBA. Any position in hockey.

I'm looking at this mostly from a h/w, general athletic make up standpoint. Probably putting too much thought into it.

They're all incredibly impressive. OL that can work together but then break off to pull, climb and run.

Some defensive players like Donald, Garrett & Miller are superfreaks.

Fun debate though
Umm...It's not a debate, I already gave you the answer.:evil:
The answer is simple and easiest to understand when one goes to all the major sports and watches them live. It is simply otherworldly what NHL players do shift after shift compared to any other sport.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
With all the kneeling and protesting and BLM fans were planning to boycott anyway. 2 years ago we saw lots of empty seats and boycotts over the disrespecting of the flag.

NFL got lucky this season with hardly any fans being allowed to attend.

we did? all you bigots threatened to run away, but you're still here.......go. leave. show the world!

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Umm...It's not a debate, I already gave you the answer.:evil:
The answer is simple and easiest to understand when one goes to all the major sports and watches them live. It is simply otherworldly what NHL players do shift after shift compared to any other sport.

nothing compares to cheese rolling