PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spikes is The Sparkplug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zolak compared him to Brian Cox on the radio last week. I like the comparison. He said, Cox wasn't a guy with all world talent but he did enough out there, made some plays and always had the rest of the defense amped up to play.

Yeah because I totally said "Who cares what Spikes has done! His twitter location is negative so let's sit him" :nooo: It was just a second thought that I brought up because I thought it was odd lol.

Yeah because you're totally over reacting right now :nooo:

Pretty sure we cheer for the same team- no harm, no foul! :D

Even though Mayo is the brain of the defense, I'm increasingly starting to believe that Spikes is emerging as the emotional and spiritual leader of this D. There's no denying that he infuses the defense with a level of energy and meanness that nobody else is capable of doing.

I remember a play (I think late in the 4th quarter, when we were up 45-10) the defense allowed a 3rd and long completion and I noticed Spikes jumping up and down and banging his helmet in frustration that this had happened. I loved seeing that. That made me feel a lot better.

Last edited:
OP is correct. Ironic seeing as how so many around here were talking about how his days here were numbered, and he is'nt that good.

I like looking back at the pre-draft scouting reports a couple years later and see how accurate they were in asessing a player.

This one on Spikes was pretty spot-on. Check out the last sentance.

On the field, though, Spikes has some of the quickest instincts in his class, flying to the ball with great straight-line speed. He moves seamlessly through the trash at the line of scrimmage to get to the runner or the quarterback.

His true strength in the backfield is his pass coverage. Like most linebackers of his size, Spikes looks a little stiff when changing direction, but he has great recognition skills and reads the quarterback like a true pro. He closes in on the short routes quickly and uses his long arms to break up the pass.

As a run defender, it's all about size for Spikes. He uses a great punch to disengage the blocker, though at times it appears he would be more apt to use his hands, a skill he hasn't yet mastered.

He is impressively aggressive at the line, though at times his over aggression allows the cutback lanes to open up, something he will have to improve upon at the next level. As a tackler though, he is efficient and nasty. He wraps up well and uses his quick feet to grab smaller runners coming out of the backfield.

He struggles at times to bring down larger backs, but makes up for it by having a tendency to separate the ball from the carrier.

Spikes is a prototypical stand-up blitzer. He can explode off the line at the snap and can easily get to the quarterback. In Florida's defensive scheme, he wasn't regularly used as a primary blitzer, but could be very effective in that capacity at the professional level.

Spikes's intangibles are up and down. He has good upside but his character issues may serve as a distraction come draft day. He comes from a good football bloodline as cousin Takeo Spikes has found recurring success in the NFL.

Look for a team like Denver to bolster up the youth of their defense with Spikes. Josh McDaniel's fiery coaching style has the capabilities to deal with the potential problems that come with drafting Spikes.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/351013-2010-nfl-draft-scouting-report-brandon-spikes

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Spikes in the 3-4. In the 4-3, not so much, because of his limitations. However, for running teams/downs, he's this team's Ted Johnson incarnation.

Energy and physicality (hate that word) are two things he brings in abundance. Having him there against Denver and hopefully Baltimore is big.

I'm a big fan of Spikes in the 3-4. In the 4-3, not so much, because of his limitations. However, for running teams/downs, he's this team's Ted Johnson incarnation.

Johnson was a hell of a player for us. Never gets enough credit imo.

All great defenses need an attitude at the LB spot - and Spikes is that for the Pats. Mayo, for as solid as he is, is more of a quiet contributor. Spikes is high energy and arrogant out there - you need that in your defense, it breeds confidence. Look whose left in the playoffs, Balt/Lewis/Suggs, SF/Patrick Willis and the NYG/no shortage anywhere on that Dline.

Johnson was a hell of a player for us. Never gets enough credit imo.

Agree completely. Biceps/triceps, shoulder and knee injuries took a big bite out of his career but from 96-98 he was a tick below the Hardy Nickerson, Seau, Kirkland, Derrick Brooks crowd.

Zolak compared him to Brian Cox on the radio last week. I like the comparison. He said, Cox wasn't a guy with all world talent but he did enough out there, made some plays and always had the rest of the defense amped up to play.

Not sure that Cox is all that. Zo and many posters here are suckers for Cox style of play.

Not sure that Cox is all that. Zo and many posters here are suckers for Cox style of play.

Cox was at the end of the line when he came here. He added some energy and toughness to the defense no question.

He was an all-pro w/ Miami and CHI. If Spikes has a career close to Cox, we'll all be pretty happy.

Last edited:
I know Simms mentioned it briefly during the last game. But the entire media is going to see us as a bad defense until we do it to someone other than Tebow.

Can you really blame them?

Spikes and Chung are probably the two hardest hitters on defense. They both have that Harrison/Seymour-esque attitude. It's awesome.

Spikes is so dam good against the run..need him big on sunday

Cox was at the end of the line when he came here. He added some energy and toughness to the defense no question.

He was an all-pro w/ Miami and CHI. If Spikes has a career close to Cox, we'll all be pretty happy.

I agree. I was simply trying to get 2 certain words together in a post. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down