Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: at Bills
Pick Results: NE: 35.5% at BUF: 64.5%
Sun
Nov 1st

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

sb1

Pro Bowl Player

Yeah... on that note I’m not optimistic anymore that there will be a season in the NFL or any other major pro league until at least next summer.

Boomer B

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Players will test positive, it’s inevitable, but not the end of the world.

The virus will have barely any impact on people their age and health. They test positive isolate them until they recover and keep moving forward. It’s gonna be part of our lives for the near future but we know a lot more about it now. No need to cancel sports.

sb1

Pro Bowl Player

The virus will have barely any impact on people their age and health. They test positive isolate them until they recover and keep moving forward. It’s gonna be part of our lives for the near future but we know a lot more about it now. No need to cancel sports.

The problems will start when players refuse to participate because of the risk and certain areas like Florida right now are a lot higher risk.

A Defiant Goose

In the Starting Line-Up

Yeah... on that note I’m not optimistic anymore that there will be a season in the NFL or any other major pro league until at least next summer.
Why not? Was the expectation that 0 professional players would catch the virus?

Last edited:

farn

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
The problems will start when players refuse to participate because of the risk and certain areas like Florida right now are a lot higher risk.
I agree.

Many posters here love to minimize the effects and risks. Which is fine, everyone will base their opinion based on differences. But it’s shortsighted to think all athletes are willing to play within the established rules of their respective sport.

Not all athletes are passionate about their sport. Quite a few of them treat it like a job and perhaps quite a few of them will simply decide that being away from loved ones (in the case of bubbled sports) or being within Covid’s reach just isn’t worth it.

Last edited:

luuked

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Personally I am withholding my judgement until we hear what the league plans to do but given how restrictive the rules of the NBA inside a bubble are I am not confident that this league year will be finished.

I think there is a reasonable chance that multiple teams will be substantially affected by midseason to the point that entire games have to be cancelled.

You can't isolate the players and staff from their environment (families, kids with school, parents..) for half a year in some kind of bubble. So chances are that there will be many positives throughout the season and it will all be up to how well the protocols the NFL and NFLPA install work to prevent spread in the facility.

But then again we are talking about a league that had MRSA show up multiple times in facilities in the past. So good luck with that..

dreighver

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

Don't tell Michael Yo that.

Former college football player, in great health/shape, picture of health ... not terribly young (45), but not old either (plenty of professional athletes in their mid-to-late 30s, and some in their 40s (see: TB12)).

Michael Yo got COVID and within 2-3 days couldn't breathe and was hospitalized. Legitmately thought for several days that he was going to die and never see his family again.

The notion that all young (or otherwise healthy) people will shake COVID without issue is not true.

Von Miller got COVID and was still dealing with lung issues multiple weeks after "recovering". Lots of evidence this stuff attacks multiple major organ systems and blood vessels. It's no cold nor flu ... whole different beast.

tasmlab

Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
What is the "bubble" idea about?

I swear I googled it without success before asking here.

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up

Holding sports events with no fans in attendance to reduce the risk of transmission to players and fans, living on broadcast revenue, it's a workable idea in theory but utterly impracticable in a major professional league that has so many moving parts.

PatsDeb

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I agree.

Many posters here love to minimize the effects and risks. Which is fine, everyone will base their opinion based on differences. But it’s shortsighted to think all athletes are willing to play within the established rules of their respective sport.

Not all athletes are passionate about their sport. Quite a few of them treat is like a job and perhaps quite a few of them will simply decide that being away from loved ones (in the case of bubbled sports) or being within Covid’s just isn’t worth it.
Agreed. I keep thinking about that QB that we no longer have. You know, the one now on a team in a high risk area that has a wife that doesn't really want him to play anyway, and 3 young kids, one of whom has to take a plane to visit, and two elderly parents that he is very close to, one of whom is a cancer survivor. Is he and others like him really going to say, "COVID be damned! Let's get on the field! Sorry Giselle, Jack, Mom and Dad. I won't be home and/or you can't come around for Thanksgiving and Christmas, or come to any of my games, because I will be in the bubble."

PatsDeb

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

That the players live in isolation from their families and only interact with other players, keeping away from everyone else. I believe the NBA was going to try this by having all the players live at Disney World or some such nonsense.

amfootball

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Agreed. I keep thinking about that QB that we no longer have. You know, the one now on a team in a high risk area that has a wife that doesn't really want him to play anyway, and 3 young kids, one of whom has to take a plane to visit, and two elderly parents that he is very close to, one of whom is a cancer survivor. Is he and others like him really going to say, "COVID be damned! Let's get on the field! Sorry Giselle, Jack, Mom and Dad. I won't be home and/or you can't come around for Thanksgiving and Christmas, or come to any of my games, because I will be in the bubble."
Brady will play no matter what. I love the guy but football always comes first to him.

sb1

Pro Bowl Player
Nick Watney - Heidi’s cousin on the PGA tour - he’s positive too and golf was supposed to be the “safe” sport.

yup, not optimistic anymore :(

XLIX

Pro Bowl Player
Nick Watney - Heidi’s cousin on the PGA tour - he’s positive too and golf was supposed to be the “safe” sport.

yup, not optimistic anymore :(
According to google, there are 825 golfers on the PGA tour. Now that they are all being tested regularly, what did you expect? Zero positives?

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
People need to get that sometimes something happens that's not business as usual. Guys, think about someone who was, say, 20 in 1918. He could have fought in WWI, gone through the flu pandemic then the Great Depression, then if he was luck and lived in the right place, the Dust Bowl, then maybe if he was especially patriotic signed up for WWII (or perhaps had a son fight in WWII). Sports leagues were always doing what they had to to cope, hell, somewhere in there the Stillers and Iggles became the Stiggles due to some war consideration or another.

We had to stay home for 2 months and now if we want to we have to wear a mask. That ****'s going to be mandatory outside of your house if we get much more spread, but everybody enjoy it for now.

You never want to PREDICT with a NOVEL virus... look how stupid "It will go away" makes you look... but this could be a horrific winter.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter

problem is what happens when you're in round 2 of the playoffs and 5 guys in 2 teams have it? Forfeit? extend?

Going to be a complete mess

Boomer B

problem is what happens when you're in round 2 of the playoffs and 5 guys in 2 teams have it? Forfeit? extend?

Going to be a complete mess

Once these teams are together and in their “bubble” there’s a better chance to control it. They will be isolated from society and will be getting tested daily. Also, as we move forward we learn more and there are existing medications being tested that are looking good.

There’s no perfect system for this and there is a chance there will be a “complete mess”, but life goes on. We can’t cancel everything for a virus with a very low death rate, especially amongst younger fit people.

Last edited:

amfootball

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
You never want to PREDICT with a NOVEL virus... look how stupid "It will go away" makes you look... but this could be a horrific winter.
Honestly if things were that bleak there is no way the protests would be allowed to keep happening night after night.

Boomer B

Don't tell Michael Yo that.

Former college football player, in great health/shape, picture of health ... not terribly young (45), but not old either (plenty of professional athletes in their mid-to-late 30s, and some in their 40s (see: TB12)).

Michael Yo got COVID and within 2-3 days couldn't breathe and was hospitalized. Legitmately thought for several days that he was going to die and never see his family again.

The notion that all young (or otherwise healthy) people will shake COVID without issue is not true.

Von Miller got COVID and was still dealing with lung issues multiple weeks after "recovering". Lots of evidence this stuff attacks multiple major organ systems and blood vessels. It's no cold nor flu ... whole different beast.

and for every Michael Yo there are thousands of people in his age group and younger that get it, survive it, and can move on with life. The numbers are out there. You have a .2% chance of dying from Covid if you are under 40 years old.

The elderly and people with health issues we need to worry about, but we shouldn’t stop sports that can be played in a bubble for a virus with a very tiny death rate for young healthy people.