PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some "other" 1st round choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ernie Sims - Great strength and speed, and tremendous athleticism. Could play SS and really excel at it if coached well. Behind Rodney for a year or two, plus Belichick coaching him, he could be a stud.

Chad Jackson - Great measurables and hands and a crisp route runner. Getting an unfair label from playing at UF (not Spurrier's system though) and really has all the tools to be successful in any WR role.

Leonard Pope - Graham is hitting FA next year, and 2 TEs sets could be the new thing to have nowadays. He has great speed, and size you've only dreamed about or seen on created players in Madden. Hands like vacuums as big as hubcaps and a willing blocker. A true freak TE who has tons of potential.

Sinorice Moss - After seeing what Moss and Smith did last year, maybe we go the same route and get another small WR? He has great speed of course, and is actually a good route runner with plenty of upside. We'd likely trade down to the end of the first to take him, but if BB wants a certain WR, he'll do what it takes to get him, and who's to say it isn't Moss...

Last edited:
My main bet for Belichick's pick is Sims. He could well be the new breed of SS...plus with a competant backup SS he could be an edge rusher also. I'm still sticking with this with an outside chance Belichick moves up to get Winston Jutice, OT.

Pope...I could see Belichick going after Pope but it will be very hard. Too many good players to pass over to grab Pope at #21 and maybe too expensive to move up in round 2 to go after him if he makes it to rd.2. But in any case...I like him as a good fit for the Pats.

Moss...another player that we are in a bad position to grab. But, if Belichick thinks he moves the team up a notch...he will grab him just like he reached for Branch in rd 2...Branch proved belichick right on that one...maybe Moss deserves top 20?

drew4008 said:
Ernie Sims - Great strength and speed, and tremendous athleticism. Could play SS and really excel at it if coached well. Behind Rodney for a year or two, plus Belichick coaching him, he could be a stud.

Obviously too undersized to play LB for the Pats. However...Sims is one of the best 'football players' in this draft. Love to have him somewhere...but where? You say he "could" play SS -- but are you sure? And would the Pats take a conversion player #1?

Chad Jackson - Great measurables and hands and a crisp route runner. Getting an unfair label from playing at UF (not Spurrier's system though) and really has all the tools to be successful in any WR role.

He's not strictly a Combine player as some have suggested. He's still unpolished though...but has all of the tools to succeed. I'd take him...

Leonard Pope - Graham is hitting FA next year, and 2 TEs sets could be the new thing to have nowadays. He has great speed, and size you've only dreamed about or seen on created players in Madden. Hands like vacuums as big as hubcaps and a willing blocker. A true freak TE who has tons of potential.

We haven't lost Graham yet. Doubt I'd draft a TE #1 just in case Daniel decides to stay. A TE later sure...but we have more pressing needs that can be addressed with our first pick.

Sinorice Moss - After seeing what Moss and Smith did last year, maybe we go the same route and get another small WR? He has great speed of course, and is actually a good route runner with plenty of upside. We'd likely trade down to the end of the first to take him, but if BB wants a certain WR, he'll do what it takes to get him, and who's to say it isn't Moss...

Oh, we'll certainly draft a WR...and size as always -- isn't an issue. Hands and the ability to get open are.

Simms is intruiging, we like our SS to be a run support type of player. I wouldn't rule out DeMeco Ryans either.

BB could very well decide he wants Moss. Chad Jackson does have a lot of hype, but he's a little unpolished and I think he came out a year early.

As far as Moss, he's as close you can come to having Santana Moss on your team. :)

"Big WR. BIG WR!! We don't need no stinkin' big WR" LOL

Last edited:
PATRIOTS-80 said:
"Big WR. BIG WR!! We don't need no stinkin' big WR" LOL

6' is huge and at 6'2" you're a freak on the Patriots.:D

Seneschal2 said:
Obviously too undersized to play LB for the Pats. However...Sims is one of the best 'football players' in this draft. Love to have him somewhere...but where? You say he "could" play SS -- but are you sure? And would the Pats take a conversion player #1?

Sims has the potential to be a great LB in the NFL. He reminds me a lot like Tedy Bruschi because he's not overwhelming in stature, but he has great football instincts and it seems as though he's in on every tackle. He also has a knack for making the big clutch play. Even though he is a little small, if a RB trys to run him over, Sims will make them pay. He hits harder than anyone I've seen at the collegiate level. Not sure how he would adapt to cold weather though. He's a Tallahassee native so he's played football in the heat his whole life.

Last edited:
I've been kind of on the Moss bandwagon thinking that Branch will be gone in 12 months. After reading that we're hoping to get Branch re-signed, though, it becomes less of an issue. I'd still be interested in two quickies, Moss and Branch, to go with the two big TE but not in the first round. If we could get a legit first rounder then trade up a little for Moss from our second round pick, that would interest me.

I agree on the TE thing but that's another position I'd be looking more at the second round than the first as it's a deep year for TE.

F.B.N. said:
My main bet for Belichick's pick is Sims. He could well be the new breed of SS...plus with a competant backup SS he could be an edge rusher also.
IMO, his off-the-field issues make him not an option at all.

And I can't see spending a first round pick on a player in the hopes of converting him to a new position - when we do have actual needs at positions (i.e. LB).

I'm still sticking with this with an outside chance Belichick moves up to get Winston Jutice, OT.
Why? With Light, Kaczur, and Gorin as OTs, and Mankins able to play OT, I don't see how that is sufficient need.

big mike said:
Why? With Light, Kaczur, and Gorin as OTs, and Mankins able to play OT, I don't see how that is sufficient need.
It depends if they see Kaczur as a starter at RT or a really good backup swingman. If it's the latter, RT is most certainly a need. If not we should be OK with Gorin and Britt as backup Tackles.

Winston Justice - I'm sure the one year suspension for reportedly waving a "toy" gun at a fellow motorist in a "prank" will have some bearing on his value to the Pats.

Sims - concussion history, off-field issues, and too light for ILB - three strikes.

Pope - 6'8", 4.62/40, good hands, willing blocker who needs lots of work - decent first round value for a BPA pick.

Moss - low production, why?

Jackson - great speed, decent hands, appears to be a project - WR is not a good 1st round value as I see it.

Sinorice's Low Production

Although I don't post much, I like to chime in when it comes to the Miami Hurricanes. I've been a devote follower since the 1979 season. Regarding Sinorice, the reason for his overall low production from 2002-2005 is due in large part to the over-abundance of talent the Hurricanes put on the field during his tenure at Miami. His freshman year he couldn't get on the field (had only 3 catches) and played special teams. His sophomore year it was more of the same. He had only 8 catches and played with Roscoe Parrish, Kevin Everitt, Kellen Winslow, Devin Hester, and Darnell Jenkins. His Junior season he only played in 4 games due to injuries, but he had 20 catches. So, his first 3 years he only had 31 catches. Also during his first 3 years he had the running backs catching a lot of balls (Clinton Portis, Willis Magahee, Frank Gore). His senior season he missed only 1 game and had his career year with 32 catches. He was competing with Ryan Moore, Lance Leggett, and Greg Olson for catches. Tyrone Moss and Charlie Jones weren't thrown to that much in 2005. He had some long gainers this past year and took some kick-offs. So, until this past season, he really didn't get a lot of chances. He probably could have had more catches in 2005, but he was double teamed a lot and the quarterback (Kyle Wright) was under pressure all year, due to our terrible O-line. (of which Eric Winston was a part of at LT. Incidently, he'll never make it a LT in the NFL IMHO). Sinorice is not as good as Santana, and Santana struggled until he went to Washington last year and fell into a better offensive scheme that complimented his abilities. I just don't think Sinorice is any better than a #2 receiver, at best. (Unfortunately, I think he even may have Bethel Johnson written all over him). I was/am not high on Devin Hester either, as I have posted in the past. He's not a good receiver and was a disaster as a CB. He's really only a special teams guy. If you look at the mock's now, he barely makes the 3rd round and only on a few sites, despite the 4.28 he ran at his Pro-day. Even though I love the 'canes, I just don't think any of them this year are worth a 1st round pick. But, Sinorice could go to someone in the 1st and Winston in the 2nd. I'd hate to see the Patriots draft any of them, with the exception of LB Roger "Rocky" Macintosh, but only with their 2nd pick in the 5th round or later. LB Leon Washinton may be worth a 6th or 7th. Orien Harris is fat, lazy, and unmotivated. It's also a mystery to me why Kelly Jennings is so highly regarded. There is nothing physical about him, even though many profiles I've read call him a physical corner. He tackles (or tries to) with his shoulder only and has a tough time wrapping up. He does have good speed, but gives up a lot in front of him. It's just a bad draft class for the 'canes this year for the first time in a long time. Not coincidentally, all these 'canes are Larry Coker recruits. Larry is the worst head coach in all of Division 1 football, despite his record. By the same token, Randy Shannon is the best defensive coach in all of Division 1 football, hence the reason Miami has had success. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent!

F.B.N. said:
6' is huge and at 6'2" you're a freak on the Patriots.:D
The big reciever I'd love to see them grab (no where near the first round, obviously - I was aiming more for the 4th or 5th) is Maurice Stovall out of ND. 6'5", nice downfield blocker and already familiar with the offense due to the year with Charlie Weis.

Good vent - do it more often!

Rene Vallieres said:
Although I don't post much, I like to chime in when it comes to the Miami Hurricanes. I've been a devote follower since the 1979 season. Regarding Sinorice, the reason for his overall low production from 2002-2005 is due in large part to the over-abundance of talent the Hurricanes put on the field during his tenure at Miami. His freshman year he couldn't get on the field (had only 3 catches) and played special teams. His sophomore year it was more of the same. He had only 8 catches and played with Roscoe Parrish, Kevin Everitt, Kellen Winslow, Devin Hester, and Darnell Jenkins. His Junior season he only played in 4 games due to injuries, but he had 20 catches. So, his first 3 years he only had 31 catches. Also during his first 3 years he had the running backs catching a lot of balls (Clinton Portis, Willis Magahee, Frank Gore). His senior season he missed only 1 game and had his career year with 32 catches. He was competing with Ryan Moore, Lance Leggett, and Greg Olson for catches. Tyrone Moss and Charlie Jones weren't thrown to that much in 2005. He had some long gainers this past year and took some kick-offs. So, until this past season, he really didn't get a lot of chances. He probably could have had more catches in 2005, but he was double teamed a lot and the quarterback (Kyle Wright) was under pressure all year, due to our terrible O-line. (of which Eric Winston was a part of at LT. Incidently, he'll never make it a LT in the NFL IMHO). Sinorice is not as good as Santana, and Santana struggled until he went to Washington last year and fell into a better offensive scheme that complimented his abilities. I just don't think Sinorice is any better than a #2 receiver, at best. (Unfortunately, I think he even may have Bethel Johnson written all over him). I was/am not high on Devin Hester either, as I have posted in the past. He's not a good receiver and was a disaster as a CB. He's really only a special teams guy. If you look at the mock's now, he barely makes the 3rd round and only on a few sites, despite the 4.28 he ran at his Pro-day. Even though I love the 'canes, I just don't think any of them this year are worth a 1st round pick. But, Sinorice could go to someone in the 1st and Winston in the 2nd. I'd hate to see the Patriots draft any of them, with the exception of LB Roger "Rocky" Macintosh, but only with their 2nd pick in the 5th round or later. LB Leon Washinton may be worth a 6th or 7th. Orien Harris is fat, lazy, and unmotivated. It's also a mystery to me why Kelly Jennings is so highly regarded. There is nothing physical about him, even though many profiles I've read call him a physical corner. He tackles (or tries to) with his shoulder only and has a tough time wrapping up. He does have good speed, but gives up a lot in front of him. It's just a bad draft class for the 'canes this year for the first time in a long time. Not coincidentally, all these 'canes are Larry Coker recruits. Larry is the worst head coach in all of Division 1 football, despite his record. By the same token, Randy Shannon is the best defensive coach in all of Division 1 football, hence the reason Miami has had success. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent!

big mike said:
IMO, his off-the-field issues make him not an option at all.

And I can't see spending a first round pick on a player in the hopes of converting him to a new position - when we do have actual needs at positions (i.e. LB).

It fits the bill as unexpected from Belichick Mike. I'd be surprised if he selects any of the favorites many think he will take.

Justice said:
The big reciever I'd love to see them grab (no where near the first round, obviously - I was aiming more for the 4th or 5th) is Maurice Stovall out of ND. 6'5", nice downfield blocker and already familiar with the offense due to the year with Charlie Weis.

That pick would make me and many fans happy...this kid has patriot blood in him already as he is all blue collar.

F.B.N. said:
It fits the bill as unexpected from Belichick Mike. I'd be surprised if he selects any of the favorites many think he will take.
I can see a first round pick for a conversion product, but it would have to be a player with talents somewhat comparable to Willie McGinest who was a multi-position player at USC. It also should be at a position where special talent can have a major impact on the game, this pretty much limits it to pass rushers.

Rene Vallieres said:

Lots of good info in that post. Please keep venting!

Seneschal2, please post more often. This was a tremendous 3rd post. Keep it up and welcome aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back