PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solution to the RB issue at the deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen of Eckel, he's got a good motor. I'm just saying that if Morris is shelved for an extended period and it looks like Maroney will be back soon or needs to be eased back in, we can go with what we have without spending draft picks. A previous poster mentioning Welker's history as a running back also is kind of intriguing. Imagine Troy Brown in the slot and Welker coming out of the backfield a la Faulk, with Moss, Stallworth and Watson in the mix. If Morris is really hurt, it's true we'll need another back. I just don't want to see us lose a draft pick for it.

I don't get all the love for Eckel. He looks like a run of the mill JAG.

It is an interesting situation, Morris is the key. If he misses extended time or is out for the year then both Faulk and Maroney have to take more carries. Neither has a track record of being able to handle a lot of carries. If Morris is out then a big short yardage back will be brought in.

Maroney looks close being ready but in all likelihood he will not make it too the end of the year. Tough call, I guess I would do nothing and then try to steal a player from a practice squad or get a street free agent. It is not like there will be any quality players available for a trade.

I don't get all the love for Eckel. He looks like a run of the mill JAG.

Eckel's still an unknown quantity. My primary impression of him was two years ago in the preseason. He looked pretty good. I'm just saying he might be a decent stop-gap guy if Morris is done and we go to a mix of him plus Faulk and Maroney.

I hate starting from this kind of premise. "Morris looked like he got hurt, and we may not know for a while how bad it is and Maroney might still be hurt" so lets make a trade.

BB knows how bad Morris is hurt, and where Maroney stands. We will never be able to understand his decision to act or not act, because we won't know what condition the players are in, nor will we know what any replacement will cost.

Eckel's still an unknown quantity. My primary impression of him was two years ago in the preseason. He looked pretty good. I'm just saying he might be a decent stop-gap guy if Morris is done and we go to a mix of him plus Faulk and Maroney.

I disagree, he fills the same role as Evans but he is not as good as Evans. If Evans goes down then maybe Eckel can be a stop gap FB. It is very unclear that Eckel shows any prowess as a lead blocker or a short yardage back. Luckily for the Pats if they ever needed to get a pure FB those guys are a dime a dozen.

Morris was taking the bulk of the snaps as the primary RB plus catching passes out of the backfield. Eckel can do neither. Morris showed a lot of versatility, lets hope it looked worse than it really was and he is only out a couple of weeks.

If Morris is out I suspect they will split carries between Faulk and Maroney until one of them goes down, they will just keep throwing bodies at the position.

read somewhere this morning Jones has taken over 1st string from Bell in Detriot.
Very correct Cousin,
In fact there is an article in Detroit he wants out because of his demotion (Tatum you are not better than Jones). He is faster than any back we have and I see Faulk as a liability with protecting the ball if he is used as a featured back with many carries, so how bad can Bell be over Faulk.

I see him flourishing with a better line than the Lions have to offer. I believe Detroit could use an O-lineman (Britt?). 5th or 6th works for methough. Tatum Bell is a rocket and can catch. I do like the Dunn idea though. Bell is like 211 lbs and Dunn is about 185lbs though and lighter than Faulk.
Anyone know the story of Dominak Williams? He was still recovering in training camp and could not catch a roster spot. This dude is a 1,000 Yd runner in Texas!!!.
How about this one.....Priest Holmes!? He is back off Pup this week. He won't start over Grandmama. I don't think Herm knows what to do with him.
D.W.Toys

How about trying to get Brookings or Hall from Atlanta? I think RB's are easier to find than good quality defenders. And we need some help at LB and CB.

Bam Childress doing his best LT impersoniation.

Because Holmes will begin practising Wednesday
Chiefs traded Michael Bennett to Bucs (for draft picks).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80354f1e&template=without-video&confirm=true

Cousin,
Holmes is still an unknown and Bennett was traded because "Bennett played sparingly in recent games, and rookie Kolby Smith had been getting more snaps in practice recently, an indication he was about to encroach on at least some of Bennett’s playing time."
I don't think the trade was influenced by Holmes. At 34 and Bennett about 27 there would have been an issue of age to keep him, BUT Smith is the #2 back now. Holmes is #3 if and when. Why pay that money for a #3 guy. I would think Petersen would be happy to resolve this with a trade and it would look good for Holmes to come to this years' special Pats team. He too could get his ring as we all hope.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back