PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what can be done to fix this (1-2 start)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so if the Pats lose Sunday, what will they finish? 4-12?
It will certainly make this season interesting if they lose on Sunday. I obviously don’t want to see that, but this team is really struggling on both sides of the ball. I believe this would be their worst start with Brady a quarterback since 2002 when they went 3-4.

He traded to improve the team with a player he thought could who could fit into the cap.

I dont think he though what he had was good enough and his crystal ball broke so he was unable to see the JE suspension and the Matthews/Britt injuries

Edelman is 32in coming off a major knee injury. Plus he knew months ago he was going to be suspended.

Britt was not good here last year and Matthews was a long shot. Even with those two guys that group of receivers isn't striking the fear into anyone.

I am all for the Gordon trade but let's call it what it is. A desperate attempt to get Brady some help on one of the most unreliable receivers in modern history.

Edelman is 32in coming off a major knee injury. Plus he knew months ago he was going to be suspended.

Britt was not good here last year and Matthews was a long shot. Even with those two guys that group of receivers isn't striking the fear into anyone.

I am all for the Gordon trade but let's call it what it is. A desperate attempt to get Brady some help on one of the most unreliable receivers in modern history.

What do you base your "Britt wasn't good here" last year statement on? You could tell that from the 3 games where he dressed as the 4th receiver? After having spent 13 games in Cleveland??

What do you base your "Matthews was a long shot" statement on?

I don't think you comprehend that Matthews would have made this team if not for his injury.

You do realize that the Patriots were working on a contract extension for Britt until he got injured, right? Clearly they felt they saw something in him if they were willing to do that.

I see your point but I disagree. There’s only so many spots on the field. If we are 3 wide we have Hogan on one side, Edelman when he comes back in the slot, and that leaves 1 spot on the other side. Britt, Matthews, Mitchell, Dorsett, and Patterson do not command safety help every down: Cooks does. Cooks drawing safety help opened the field for Gronk, the underneath routes, and the RBs.

He was a great pickup for the Rams. You leave a safety back to help cover it gives Gurley more space. You bring the safety up you leave Cooks 1 on 1 for the deep pass. I know he got a big salary, but I loved what he did for our O. Hopefully Gordon has his head on straight and we get some of the same from him.

There are five eligible passing targets on every offensive play, not limited to WRs. If the defense is playing 5 DBs and doubling any one of those targets, that leaves the other four singled-up, one of them covered by an LB.

If Hogan were playing up to the level he played at before separating his shoulder last year it would make a big difference. He needs to fix whatever his problem is and fix it fast because Dorssett looked banged up at the end of the last game. By my estimation Brady only has two reliable options left in this offense: Gronkowski and White. Any team in the league can scheme away two guys.
Hogan's problem is he's now drawing the other team's best CB and often a safety on deeper routes. Hogan simply isn't a #1. He'll improve with Edelman back and Gordon in the line-up because he can just simply slide back in to his natural role and won't have to put up with separating from the defense's best corner.

I see this line of thought, but ultimately the games are played on the field.

When good/really good players leave if you replace them with bad/mediocre players the team is worse off. Dorsett and Patterson are bad/mediocre receivers.

Cooks and Amendola most definitely would have helped the team so far. Cooks was a 1000 yd outside receiver who more importantly created space for others by commanding safety help. I really hope Gordon can have that kind of impact. Amendola was a clutch guy who could move the chains.

Obviously you can’t keep everyone, but if players are let go you need to replace their production. Replacing known talent with a draft pick is a crapshoot. You never know how your picks will pan out I was ok with Solder leaving as he is overpaid, on the wrong side of 30, and we replaced him with a good player. We can live without D. Lewis. The impact of Cooks and Amendola’s departures have hurt. Hopefully with Gordon and Edelman coming back we can get back on track.
In a vacuum, you are 100% correct. But the cap changes all that. I would have liked another year with Cooks, but then you're left with nothing, as there's no way he signs here below market value. Now, whether or not Foxboro should be paying top of market money to wide outs is another subject entirely. As I said earlier, they don't, that's not their business plan. I feel quite confident in thinking that they think they can get 75% of Cooks production for 30% of the salary. Just one man's opinion. Amendola, for all his clutch-ness (made that up), wasn't about to get 12m here. So, do you sign for short money and stay or bail for bucks at 32 years old? In my mind, he made the only business decision he could.

Fixing the run defense and the run offense has to be job number 1.

If Shelton continues to play on skates, maybe we bring back valentine.

Our offensive line blows chunks and can’t hold blocks, do we need draws and quick hitters.

"Months ago" was still well after free agency and the draft. The Pats made their moves to compensate for the losses of Amendola and Cooks well before they knew that Edelman would be suspended.

Britt wasn't even signed by the Pats until week-13. No OTAs to learn the playbook, no Camp, and only 4 weeks before the playoffs. "Not good last year"? You think he should have stepped right in as a #2 WR or something? He apparently did well enough in OTAs that the Pats offered him a contract extension before he got hurt at the end of June.

Matthews being healthy was always a question, but the injury that took him out of play for a roster spot with the Pats wasn't related to what happened to him in PHL/BUF.

And then, there was Mitchell. He almost made it back off IR last season in time for the playoffs. There was every reason to think that he might be healed up at least by Camp, if not by OTAs.

It's rare that the Pats have had a group of WRs who, by themselves, "struck fear". The fear that other teams have felt about the Pats' passing attack has always been about Brady having five legitimate passing targets on every play and finding unexpected ways to get one of them the ball for damaging yardage. And the quantity over quality approach to rostering "good, but not elite" passing targets has worked well enough for years to provide Brady with an elite ranking in completion percentage, yardage, TDs, etc. pretty much every year for over a decade.

Yesterday your plan was “to make a few calls”. Before that it was “a purge” of “players that dont want to be here”.

Now its tanking a season. After week 3. At 1-2.

You are a clown.
You may have noted that I was being sarcastic. Hence mentioning that I'm mostly joking, with the serious bit being that maybe Belichick should relinquish some of his GM duties.

This being the internet, however, even mentioning that you are joking seems to fall on deaf ears. You must be a hit at parties.

Did the bit about Brady having an injury to his pride not give away the facetious tone of the post?

The first pick overall would be great, BB could work his magic and turn it into 3 safeties who were projected to go undrafted
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds in the Rough!

Belichick probably drops acid before every draft. It explains some of the genius moves and lots of the less than kinda genius ones.

even with Jules back, it is one of the weakest in the league. Watching other games, it makes me sick how BB leaves Brady with so little. The best QB of all time and his coach doesn't give him anyone to throw to...

Yeah. It's really puzzling how Brady has managed to put up elite stats year after year in spite of having no one to throw to. Apparently, he does actually catch his own passes.

It's rare that the Pats have had a group of WRs who, by themselves, "struck fear". The fear that other teams have felt about the Pats' passing attack has always been about Brady having five legitimate passing targets on every play and finding unexpected ways to get one of them the ball for damaging yardage. And the quantity over quality approach to rostering "good, but not elite" passing targets has worked well enough for years to provide Brady with an elite ranking in completion percentage, yardage, TDs, etc. pretty much every year for over a decade.

Good statement, pretty much agree that Brady, with the exception of '07, has been making chicken salad out of chicken crap for many seasons.. other seasons have fielded more talent, but this year up to game 3 the talent has been way below average and it shows on the field.

If Gordon "gets it" then between him, Gronk, Edelman and White can create havoc on other teams Defense.. also think the current Offensive philosophy is tired and predictable, a function of lack of talent or lack of imagination??

Read over and over about how the Pats need to trade for this guy or that guy, the Pats do not have a lot to offer.... draft picks?? When you offer the 30th or 60th draft pick for a high value guy, there is not a lot of response...

You may have noted that I was being sarcastic. Hence mentioning that I'm mostly joking, with the serious bit being that maybe Belichick should relinquish some of his GM duties.

This being the internet, however, even mentioning that you are joking seems to fall on deaf ears. You must be a hit at parties.

Did the bit about Brady having an injury to his pride not give away the facetious tone of the post?

I don't think you know much about what BB's "GM duties" actually consist of.

Good statement, pretty much agree that Brady, with the exception of '07, has been making chicken salad out of chicken crap for many seasons.. other seasons have fielded more talent, but this year up to game 3 the talent has been way below average and it shows on the field.

If Gordon "gets it" then between him, Gronk, Edelman and White can create havoc on other teams Defense.. also think the current Offensive philosophy is tired and predictable, a function of lack of talent or lack of imagination??

Read over and over about how the Pats need to trade for this guy or that guy, the Pats do not have a lot to offer.... draft picks?? When you offer the 30th or 60th draft pick for a high value guy, there is not a lot of response...

That "chicken crap" still needs to run the correct routes, get open and catch the ball, no matter how great Brady is at throwing it. And, as a group, they've been doing that well enough to enable Brady to put up elite stats consistently for years. And that's in spite of the fact that there usually hasn't been more than one standout pass catcher at a time (much less an "elite" guy) who was healthy and available all the time.

The problem so far this year hasn't really been a lack of "quality"; it's been a lack of quantity. Hogan, Dorsett and Patterson really aren't any "worse" than the role players of years past (and much better than what was available to Brady in 2013). Brady is still putting up a 64% completion percentage and is still on pace for 32 passing TDs.

While it's obvious that Hogan and Burkhead have both been well-covered (50% catch rate for both), Dorsett has an 86% catch rate through three games. Gronk is at 76%. Patterson is at 71% and White is at 70%. But that's ALL Brady has had to work with, really. Typically, the roster includes enough viable passing targets that McD and Brady can't feed them all.

Not the case so far this season. There simply haven't been enough viable targets available - including RBs and TEs - to get the job done. Develin already has 6 tgts through 3 games (and a 67% catch rate). His average for a full season over the past five years has been five tgts.

If Hollister (and his 100% catch rate) can get back to, and stay on the field ... and if Sony can improve on his 40% catch rate ... it almost doesn't matter what specific WR the Pats add to the group. As long as he can reliably get open and make catches he makes things easier for everyone else - particularly McD and Brady. He doesn't need to be a Dez or a Demaryious or a Cooks.

The Pats didn't trade for Gordon because of his 2013 season. They traded for him because he's shown he can be a viable target in an Erhardt-Perkins offensive system - understand the routes, get open and catch. He doesn't need to put up anything remotely close to his 2013 numbers to help "fix" the effectiveness of the passing attack. Just being out there on the field will be enough. At the very least, Brady won't need to rely on Develin dump-offs.

Which circles back to Britt, Matthews and Mitchell. In early June, Britt had apparently "gotten it" enough to have been offered a contract extension. Matthews, according to media reports from Camp, appeared to be "getting it" before he was injured. We know from his past performance that Mitchell "got it". Any of them might have been "just as good as" Gordon in terms of increasing the quantity of viable passing tgts for Brady.

Add in Hollister, who hasn't been healthy, and Sony, who's just now getting his pre-season game reps, add the loss of Hill in week-1.

If just Mitchell, Hollister and Hill had all been available to play these past two games, the Pats offense likely would've been putting up 30 per game and be 3-0.

If Hogan were playing up to the level he played at before separating his shoulder last year it would make a big difference.

Hogan caught 6 of 8 tgts for 128 yards and a TD against Philly in the SB. I don't think his shoulder is an issue, if that's what you were implying.

His "issue" this season is that he's been extremely well-covered. Aside from Dorsett (86% catch rate), Patterson (71% catch rate), White (70% catch rate) and Develin (67% catch rate), who else has been available for Brady to try to get a pass to, who else have defenses needed to account for, other than Gronk?

I miss Wikfork Seymour Warren DL

Are they available ? :)

Fixing the run defense and the run offense has to be job number 1.

If Shelton continues to play on skates, maybe we bring back valentine.

Our offensive line blows chunks and can’t hold blocks, do we need draws and quick hitters.

Hill had a 6.3 YPA before getting hurt in week-1. Burkhead is averaging 3.6 thru 3 games; Sony is averaging 3.5 thru 2 games (effectively just now getting the game reps that he should have had during the pre-season). Even White is averaging 5.1 yds per tote.

The fact that the run offense needs fixing again isn't entirely on the OL.

Hill had a 6.3 YPA before getting hurt in week-1. Burkhead is averaging 3.6 thru 3 games; Sony is averaging 3.5 thru 2 games (effectively just now getting the game reps that he should have had during the pre-season). Even White is averaging 5.1 yds per tote.

The fact that the run offense needs fixing again isn't entirely on the OL.

Aside from Brown, I actually don't think the OL has been that bad. And even Brown has been more up and down than anything. In pass pro, they were doing a great job keeping the pocket clean for Brady but Brady had to hold the ball for so long that coverage sacks happened on Sunday night. With the ground game, holes have been there but Michel has looked hesitant. Almost like he's still thinking instead of reacting. I expect that to get resolved as the season goes on and he gets more comfortable with the play book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back