PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what can be done to fix this (1-2 start)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All issues fixed...:D

Last edited:
even with Jules back, it is one of the weakest in the league. Watching other games, it makes me sick how BB leaves Brady with so little. The best QB of all time and his coach doesn't give him anyone to throw to...

Was it bills fault Jules wasn’t available for 4 games? And this happened after Danny had signed with Miami.

And He went out and traded for Gordon after seeing what we had the first two games. If you wanna rip him for moving cooks who was on his last year for a first, go ahead. Whether you want to believe it or not, we weren’t going to pay him what he ultimately got from LA.

Was it bills fault Jules wasn’t available for 4 games? And this happened after Danny had signed with Miami.

And He went out and traded for Gordon after seeing what we had the first two games. If you wanna rip him for moving cooks who was on his last year for a first, go ahead. Whether you want to believe it or not, we weren’t going to pay him what he ultimately got from LA.

Agreed. They played the Cooks situation as best as they could. Just too bad Gordon wasn’t here to start camp.

Cooks was still under contract for 2018. They could have kept him for another year and let him go for nothing at the end of the year. We can't ignore the 1 year contribution he would have provided which is absolutely more than either first round pick will provide in 2018

The gamble is that one year of Cooks is worth less than 4 of a first rounder + WR fill in. Given BB's track record (and general NFL trends) at the bottom of round 1, I'm not sure that value adds up in the Pats favor

Most guys drafted 25-35 (best players available at the end of the 1st) are worse than Cooks. Even the ones that pan out are usually not great in their rookie year. Would any sane team trade 1 year of Cooks for Malcom Brown and Kenny Britt? Or Cooks for Easley and Dorsett? (To use recent examples of Pats late 1st rounders and WR stop gaps).

Value in hand is a real thing and unless the team was certain Cooks would refuse to play this year, then downgrading the 2018 team was inevitable when moving on from him.

There are some players that I think the Pats could pay more for but not as much as they ended up getting somewhere else. Cooks wasn't one of those to me but Amendola might have been. The Pats could have sweetened the pot for him without giving him the same figure that he got from Miami. He had reworked his deal a couple of times and may have accepted less. It seems like his leaving has left a bit of a mark, both on the field and off.

Cooks was still under contract for 2018. They could have kept him for another year and let him go for nothing at the end of the year. We can't ignore the 1 year contribution he would have provided which is absolutely more than either first round pick will provide in 2018

The gamble is that one year of Cooks is worth less than 4 of a first rounder + WR fill in. Given BB's track record (and general NFL trends) at the bottom of round 1, I'm not sure that value adds up in the Pats favor

Most guys drafted 25-35 (best players available at the end of the 1st) are worse than Cooks. Even the ones that pan out are usually not great in their rookie year. Would any sane team trade 1 year of Cooks for Malcom Brown and Kenny Britt? Or Cooks for Easley and Dorsett? (To use recent examples of Pats late 1st rounders and WR stop gaps).

Value in hand is a real thing and unless the team was certain Cooks would refuse to play this year, then downgrading the 2018 team was inevitable when moving on from him.

If Cooks plays like 7/8 of the last 8 games of the season then he wasn't worth keeping.

If he plays like Cooks so far this year then it was stupid to not keep him.

Problem is BB can't foresee the future.

We also can’t ignore the fact we were getting 4/5 years of cost control vs 1.

We knew we were taking a downgrade at outside wr. We didn’t know we’d be missing our slot wr to start the season. We also prob thought one of britt/dorsett/Matthews could at least provide a 2014 lafell type season. It just hasn’t happened, thus the move for Gordon.

It doesn't matter. Some posters are like Felger in the respect that they think the cap is crap and everyone can be kept.

According to them BB could have kept Collins, Jones, Malcolm, DA, Lewis and Cooks while still being able to keep High, Mason, Cannon, sign Gilmore and give raises to TB and Gronk.

Watch- as soon as Trent Brown gives up a sack they'll be crying for Nate Solder.

Its almost like they think the NFL is the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox.

I've not been terribly impressed by Trent Brown to this point. I'm not saying he's garbage, but I'm not in the group saying he's made me forget about Solder.

Brown seems terribly inconsistent. From one play to the next, you don't know if he's going to blow his man out of the water or whiff so badly that it destroys the play..

I just can't put my finger on specifics...

If Hogan were playing up to the level he played at before separating his shoulder last year it would make a big difference. He needs to fix whatever his problem is and fix it fast because Dorssett looked banged up at the end of the last game. By my estimation Brady only has two reliable options left in this offense: Gronkowski and White and any team in the league can scheme away two guys.

Last edited:
I've not been terribly impressed by Trent Brown to this point. I'm not saying he's garbage, but I'm not in the group saying he's made me forget about Solder.

Brown seems terribly inconsistent. From one play to the next, you don't know if he's going to blow his man out of the water or whiff so badly that it destroys the play..

I’ll take Random Thoughts I Just Made Up And Felt Compelled to Share for $1000 Alex.

He hasn't blown my socks off either but its a new position for him and he hasn't been getting Tom killed.

Once he turns into Eugene Chung the board will explode.

It doesn't matter. Some posters are like Felger in the respect that they think the cap is crap and everyone can be kept.

According to them BB could have kept Collins, Jones, Malcolm, DA, Lewis and Cooks while still being able to keep High, Mason, Cannon, sign Gilmore and give raises to TB and Gronk.

Watch- as soon as Trent Brown gives up a sack they'll be crying for Nate Solder.

Its almost like they think the NFL is the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox.

My point exactly - we're up against the cap NOW. We couldn't afford Amendola, let alone Cooks - and had we kept Cooks for this year on his rookie deal (which we still couldn't afford right now, let alone the 15-16+ he counts against the cap the next two years)), we get nothing for him in trade instead of a 1st rounder.

My point exactly - we're up against the cap NOW. We couldn't afford Amendola, let alone Cooks - and had we kept Cooks for this year on his rookie deal (which we still couldn't afford right now, let alone the 15-16+ he counts against the cap the next two years)), we get nothing for him in trade instead of a 1st rounder.
Stop it. You are thinking about this too rationally.

What you can MMQB BB on is spending the $ on the right people.

You can argue that the big extensions given to Cannon and High have not been the best use of cap space as those players have been hurt.

OLB Whitney Mercilus from HOU. His cap hit is prettt enticing. HOU isn’t winning anything this year anyway. Bill & Bill are good buddies. Get. It. Done :D

Whitney Mercilus

Sad to say ,but it seems like every year we say ahhh its just the first few games they will figure it out. There come a day and it just might be this year they won't/can't fix the issues this team has. Missed and terrible draft picks are starting to haunt BB and the GM of this team...
I've been thinking "this might just be the year" since 2013 so I'm gonna put off being pessimistic about it until November

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes