PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what can be done to fix this (1-2 start)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I want some general dialogue here. What can be done offensively and defensively to fix our issues?

Offensively it seems pretty simple, that we need to hope Gordon and Edelman can help open up the offense, and figure out what we’re most comfortable with in terms of our playcalling. (Not the first time we’ve done this in September) The offense showed life week 1 against a talented Texans defense, so I’m confident we still have what we need on that side of the ball.

Defense unfortunately appears much less of a simple fix. Two main points I’m hearing from posters is that the talent is still lacking, and that the talent we once had (Hightower, D-mac, Chung) has declined in play.

So what all needs fixed defensively? First of all, how much will Flowers and Chung returning fix the issues we already have? I do think we’ve underrated their impact on the defense.

Second, are the players that we’ve said have declined actually declining, or are they just off to a slow start? I’m more optimistic that McCourty will rebound, it wouldn’t be the first time he’s struggled in his career. Plus 31 isn’t very old for a safety.

I’m much more concerned about Hightower. I’m in this sort of denial hoping he’s just rusty, but I’m fearing he’s not the same player he once was.

I still truly think we have more talent on defense this year than we did the end of last year. (Not that it’s saying much) I’m unsure of exactly how things can get fixed, but it feels like there’s things that can improve as the season moves forward.

Sounds like a broken record but improving the trenches will go a long way on both sides of the ball.

That's always been the case. Despite rules changes and the way the games evolved thru the years, one thing has never changed, whether you're talking about 1978, 2003 or 2018:
The 3 most important units are qb and then the ol and dl. By far. A strong dl is still more important than a strong secondary.
And stopping the run is still the #1 priority for any defense.

You can't fix it. Matthew Staffords record against teams that end the season with a winning record has spoken!:eek:

Time to pack it up. Find something else to watch. No point in watching.o_O

I expected snarky one line answers, anyone have anything insightful to say? That’s all I want to hear at this point

Stop the run.. it will be interesting who gets benched or moves down the depth chart and who moves up... Does Lawrence guy move to left end making 3 tackles on the line. They are getting pushed back and turned too much

I expected snarky one line answers, anyone have anything insightful to say? That’s all I want to hear at this point

The offense will be stabilized with the additions of Gordon and Edelman and Brady will suddenly start looking like Brady again. The defense will scheme around the personnel issues but it's definitely still going to be a weakness. They need young talent on that side of the ball so that question won't be answered until the offseason. In the meantime, they'll beat some of the weaker teams and their PPG ranking will improve leading many here to believe that they've turned the corner.

You have to want to fix something first in order to fix something. I don't think BB wants to fix it this year. I think he wants to expedite Brady's retirement. He traded cooks, tried to trade Gronk. Let amendola walk. He wanted to get rid of Brady's weapons. He wants a high draft pick to draft his replacement.

Offense just have to wait until Edelman comes back and hope for the best.

Defense: Nothing. Talent isnt there. This year Kraft has to take away the GM duties away from BB and give them to someone else. BBs incompetence drafting players over the years has lead to this.

I really think with an offensive lineup of:

Gronk
Edelman
Gordon
Hogan
White

*With the Caveat that Edelman looks like himself and Gordon produces*

...this offense is fixed, and is actually potent. Defensively, hope they were dogging it for 3 weeks, or its 2011 all over again.

Not good, not good.

Last edited:
It's going to take multiple off seasons to fix the D. There is a serious lack of talent in our front 7 and our safeties are getting old. I think we need to be able to stop the run and keep teams in 2nd/3rd and long. If we can't stop the run we're done. Bill needs to duct tape this unit and hopefully our run D improves. With Chung and Flowers back I think we can get there, but we will still be exposed by better offenses.

The O will get better with Edelman back. If Gordon can contribute that would be huge. He can open it up for Gronk and the RB's.

Let's say that 2019's 1st round pick is on the table to make a trade to improve the D.

Is there a player good enough that may help the defense become only "middle of the pack" in time for a playoff run? (top 15-17 range). That would be a major improvement considering the current defense is easily the worst in the league at #32. And not that the player would single-handedly improve the D. The addition of talent combined with some improved play from everyone else should get it done.

Lavonte David is probably a long shot, especially with the Bucs hoping they might see the playoffs, but his contract is a major bargain for this year + the following 2 years. ($8.7M, $9.7M, $10.7M). Elite coverage linebacker too. They'd have to play with the cap in order to fit him in this year. Again - it's a long shot.

Last edited:
Thread after thread about "how dare the fans question BB and the team" and "Gee, even though we're talking about it everywhere else, we really need a thread to talk about how to fix the team's problems".

Must be the day after a loss

Both Brown and Shelton have been abused. Determine whether their issues are fixable or if we need to call up VV or find an external upgrade. Runstuffers arent overly hard to find and if the ones on the current roster won't work, replace them.
Then get a lb or box safety that can cover enough to make other teams change their game plan to not gash us like the past two games.

The offense with the return of Edelman and hopeful addition of agordan should be back to normal soon. The D doesnt have to be elite. Just enough to force a punt sometimes.

Nothing. Stick a fork in them. It's over. Tank the season and go for the #1 overall pick.
funny but we need to move up in the draft. Many positions of need but I think this class has a few real nice QBs that could be had. Herbert (Oregon), Stidham (Auburn), and Lock (Mizzou) look like early favorite but there are others. Teams that need a QB are getting less and less so this next draft might be our chance. learn the system and take over for Brady when he retires.

Seems I have heard that plan before, but this time is for real. No really, Brady cant play forever, right? Right?

LB is another area of need. We need athletes not the NY Giants LB corps from the 80s. Hightower would have fit in well back in the day...now its like watching my grandpa trying to pursue and tackle folks. sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes