2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the Patriots trade Welker?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. These people are vicious.
Vicious... this thread reminds me of the saying "ask a stupid question get a stupid answer".

The question is fine.

Please kill yourself:bricks:

lol at OP calling people in this thread vicious .... pot meet kettle.

And you started it.

You are right, asking to kill a thread is very similar to asking to someone to kill themselves :rolleyes:

You are right, asking to kill a thread is very similar to asking to someone to kill themselves :rolleyes:

It's not a literal expression.

Those who answered yes, can you please explain your reasoning behind it?

I have a really hard time seeing the positives in trading the best,in his prime slot receiver in the nfl. Also a guy who likely won't ask for alot money to get his deal done next year and also a guy who happens to be the favourite target of our hall of fame QB. Also the guy who has the most receptions in the NFL over the past 4 seasons. And no way in hell does Ochocinco (older and declining,character concerns,hasn't played a single snap for us,outside receiver) make Wes expendable.

I have a really hard time seeing the positives in trading the best,in his prime slot receiver in the nfl. Also a guy who likely won't ask for alot money to get his deal done next year and also a guy who happens to be the favourite target of our hall of fame QB. Also the guy who has the most receptions in the NFL over the past 4 seasons. And no way in hell does Ochocinco (older and declining,character concerns,hasn't played a single snap for us,outside receiver) make Wes expendable.

Wrong guy, his name is Johnson, Chad Johnson. ;)

Guys, let's slow down here. Edelman has not shown anything other than some elusiveness that would suggest he's better than Welker at this point. There is absolutely no way that he'd supplant Welker this season or even next. Have we not been watching Welker the last few seasons? Did we forget what Welker was able to do when he was ready to play by game 1 last year? I marvel at the guy. Let's not be so quick to get rid of someone who is still the most productive WR on the team and is still one of the most productive in the league. We're comparing Wes Welker to a guy that, in all honesty, may just make the team. Though I don't think it will happen, Edelman could possibly be cut.

Edelman will get his opportunity, but the guy is no Wes Welker. Let's slow all the way down on this one.

Last edited:
Talk of trading Welker is absurd on so many levels.

The first poster that votes YES should be BURNED!!

monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

Enhanced that for you. :D

Hope you don't mind.

I'm even in the "trade Welker" group, and I wouldn't say that.

He's still the best slot receiver in the NFL.

It's just that this offense is at its best when the offense has two TEs rather than a slot receiver.

Good for you, for floating a strong Argument for the ~ intensely ~ unpopular side. :cool:

As a frothing advocate of multiple Tight End Sets, I'm torn between that desire...and my passionate admiration for Welker, for whose services I BEGGED the Gods, 4 years ago, the answering of which prayers sent me into RAPTURE.

Given my druthers, we'd keep all of them, and use the depth and multitude of possibilities to our advantage.

I didnt answer the poll because it doesnt give a VALUE to him. He certainly has value, and value is certainly tradeable. Positives?? He has been so productive, he has proven to come back from injury and his value will never be as high as it is right now. He doesnt play the same position as Ocho, his name has no meaning in this thread. There are plenty of BB coaches out there that want to use the same system but dont have such a player so again...value to others. But the most important thing about trades is replacement value. IF, big IF, BB sees the needed improvement of other young WRs on the roster(multiple) it lessens Welker's value in the system. Next, we already have to come up with a roster spot for the 3rd QB so do you think we will keep MORE WRs than last season and find 2(!!)other spots to cut?? NOPE! If say our 6th best WR is Edleman, and say Tate or Price is "ready" to be a #2(Branch can play the slot).....you have to ask is Welker for 1 year(!!!) worth a 2nd,and a 3rd-4th(my value-more than a 2nd less than a first) AND Edleman(who will be cut)?? I'm certain if everyone read THIS as the trade the yahoos would be a bit more even handed.

Last edited:
Kudos to the OP: this poll is about as useful of a trollfinder as could be devised. Anyone who voted yes is either:

1. Here just to troll;
2. A horrible fan of the New England Patriots; or
3. A contrarian with a lot of time on their hands

We all know that, while it could happen, the chances of it actually happening are pretty close to nil.

I suppose it would better frame the question if we knew what he was worth in the trade market....

If Branch was worth a first round draft pick going into the last year of his contract, Welker would be worth that PLUS. Then again, I would had thought they could had got more for Richard Seymour, Mike Vrabel and Matt Cassel. Just depends on who the trading partner is, I suppose.

Kudos to the OP: this poll is about as useful of a trollfinder as could be devised. Anyone who voted yes is either:

1. Here just to troll;
2. A horrible fan of the New England Patriots; or
3. A contrarian with a lot of time on their hands

We all know that, while it could happen, the chances of it actually happening are pretty close to nil.

4. A sensible loyal fan, that sees the big picture and not just fantasy fooball stats for one player. They likely realize that having Chad Johnson, Branch and 2 stud TEs is going to take receptions away from Welker.

Its on Edelman. If he shows hes ready, I believe Welker will be dealt.

The same poll could have been made for Milloy and Maroney prior to their last seasons and the so called "Loyal fans" would have been telling everyone how wrong and stupid it is to even dicuss such **** - eyed idea.

4. A sensible loyal fan, that sees the big picture and not just fantasy fooball stats for one player. They likely realize that having Chad Johnson, Branch and 2 stud TEs is going to take receptions away from Welker.

Its on Edelman. If he shows hes ready, I believe Welker will be dealt.

The same poll could have been made for Milloy and Maroney prior to their last seasons and the so called "Loyal fans" would have been telling everyone how wrong and stupid it is to even dicuss such **** - eyed idea.

The main problem I have with trading Welker is that it's hard to see any trade where the net value works in the Patriots' favor.

The Moss trade worked spectacularly, because BB saw that Moss was basically an anchor, and he brought the Vikings down with him.

Short of the Patriots being made a ridiculous offer (e.g., Carolina or Cincinnati offering their first next year), I can't see enough upside for it to make sense. And I sure as heck wouldn't trade him to any team with a QB good enough to make good use of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes