PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Setting Stidham up for Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it that they fit his preconceptions?

Vitale has been interviewed himself saying he's not the best blocker and more of a "super back" who can catch passes. No thanks. Team has a huge Develin void still

Wait until they get on the field (in this system) bruh. You haven’t even seen an OTA or minicamp practice yet. Why are you making such convicting assumptions?

Unbelievable these people have lost confidence already in the man who built 6 super bowl champions.

Setting up Stidham for success means:
- RB group in totality surpass over 1500 rushing yards
- Tight ends in totality catch 60+ passes
- RBs and FBs in totality catch 60+ passes
- Defense plays top5 defense all year

That will set up ANYBODY for success.

2nd playoff seed. At least.

Unbelievable these people have lost confidence already in the man who built 6 super bowl champions.

11-5 with Cassel as his QB
3-1 with JG/Brissett as his QBs.

Bill will always get the benefit of the doubt with me.

Perhaps losing confidence is an overstatement. Belichick certainly had fine results last year, given the situations.

And Belichick made inscrutable choices in 2019. Belichick signed a last year contract with Brady and then drafted Harry at 32 and Willliams at 45 and Stidham in the 4th. It's only been one year, but we NEEDED to draft a top QB and a top WR.

At QB, many expected Belichick to re-sign Brady when he didn't trade up for a QB and didn't draft Lock. Maybe Harry will be better than AJ Brown, Hardman, and Metcalf; or not. This isn't second guessing. My guess is that most of us would have understood drafting Lock and Brown (or one of the others or even Harry at 45). Stidham could also have been drafted to compete for a #3 QB position and the backup in 2020.

===
But this is history, and now is now. We drafted Harry and Williams instead of Lock and AJ Brown. Maybe Harry will be as good as the several drafted in the 2nd. And maybe Williams will be worth more to the team than Lock. After all, might get some reps as #4 safety this year, not bad for a second round CB in his second year.

Vitale has been interviewed himself saying he's not the best blocker and more of a "super back" who can catch passes. No thanks. Team has a huge Develin void still

Read this as "Vitale has interviewed himself..."

Vitale: So do you think you'll fill the roll that Develin was so good at?

Vitale: Well, if I'm being honest with myself - I'm not the best blocker, my skills are more in the super back mold where I can catch passes and move the chains

Vitale: Thanks for being honest with myself

Vitale: It's always a pleasure to speak to me

Vitale: Do I expect to see immediate production on the field?

Vitale: Who, you?

Vitale: No, you.

Vitale: But I just said to you "I"

Vitale:

What?

He's also gotta connect live with Jacobi Meyer and Asiasi if he wants to succeed

He's also gotta connect live with Jacobi Meyer and Asiasi if he wants to succeed

Stidham will succeed if he connects live with Edelman, Sanu, Harry and White. The 5th receiver may or may not matter much.

"Jarrett Stidham had the best preseason of any rookie quarterback in Belichick's 20 years as coach"...Mike Reiss

Pats QB Stidham leads sessions with teammates

EYFL1oCX0AAYJw8

11-5 with Cassel as his QB
3-1 with JG/Brissett as his QBs.

Bill will always get the benefit of the doubt with me.
He coached 7 full seasons without Brady. Only two resulted in a winning record (11-5 which is below Brady’s average here) and only 1 playoff appearance and win. 7 is not a small sample size. I think Belichick is a great coach, but I think there is little doubt that the existence of Tom Brady made his life a lot easier and he had a lot of blemished covered up

He coached 7 full seasons without Brady. Only two resulted in a winning record (11-5 which is below Brady’s average here) and only 1 playoff appearance and win. 7 is not a small sample size. I think Belichick is a great coach, but I think there is little doubt that the existence of Tom Brady made his life a lot easier and he had a lot of blemished covered up

You’re dismissing the 11-5 season probably forgetting Brady did one win worse the year after that.

The last time Belichick had a losing season as coach was 2000 and even that season wasn’t as bad as it looked as almost all losses was by a score or less. Like it was with Brady, I think it’s not crazy to think Belichick is a better coach today than he was decades ago.

11-5 with Cassel and 3-1 with JG/Brissett - and even the lead up to SB XLIX with all the crap tells me all I need to know about how good he can be as coach without Brady. Brady hasn’t done a thing yet without Bill.

You’re dismissing the 11-5 season probably forgetting Brady did one win worse the year after that.

The last time Belichick had a losing season as coach was 2000 and even that season wasn’t as bad as it looked as almost all losses was by a score or less. Like it was with Brady, I think it’s not crazy to think Belichick is a better coach today than he was decades ago.

11-5 with Cassel and 3-1 with JG/Brissett - and even the lead up to SB XLIX with all the crap tells me all I need to know about how good he can be as coach without Brady. Brady hasn’t done a thing yet without Bill.
He went 16-0 with Brady. The 2008 team has a weaker schedule and I did in fact count it as part of those 7 seasons. They missed the playoffs because the entire division feasted off the schedule. And the 09 team lost a lot of pieces and Beady was still getting his footing and was rusty to start.

Jimmy has shown to be a good starter and that tear Brady went 11-1 in the regular season and 3-0 in the playoffs. They also got shut out by a team that Brady massacred later in the year

Tampa Tom isn’t riding his golf cart thru our locker room to save us.
It’s Stidhams team now.

Set him up for success:

1. Have a very good offensive line that can run block and pass protect, giving him time.

2. Harry and the young receivers take a big leap forward.

3. The rookie tight ends actually being good.

4. The defense not being a front-running defense, but being able to hold teams down even when the offense isn't doing much.

That last point, by the way, is how they played last year in the second half of the season.

Against Philly, the Pats were down 10-0 early in the second quarter, but the defense held firm. They didn't allow the Eagles to score again, giving the offense time to get their feet under them and scrape together 17 points for the win.

Against Dallas, the Pats' offense never got going. The defense kept denying the Cowboys, winning 13-9 despite a pretty awful effort from the offense.

Against KC, the D allowed 23 points, which sounds like a lot until you remember that it's KC, who puts up like 35 on everyone. And they definitely gave the offense a chance, but the refs screwed them big-time in that game.

Against Buffalo, the offense once again did very little. The Pats were down 17-13 and then put the clamps on the Bills, allowing the offense to come back and win.

Against Tennessee, the Pats' D held the Titans to just 14 points all game long, despite allowing a lot of TOP. Still, they gave the Pats' offense every chance to come back and win that. But the offense could do nothing all game long.

The two games in the second half where the D really didn't do its job were against Houston (28 points allowed) and Miami (disaster). Still, out of their last 8 games (following their historically dominating start), 6 of them were the kinds of games that they'll likely be in this year - low-scoring, tough games, where points are hard to come by. And the defense showed that they can keep the team in those games, and give the offense a chance to win it. In other words, this defense had a couple of bad blips but on the whole, giving your team a really really good chance to win 6 out of 8 games isn't too bad. And honestly, in normal seasons, when the other team scores 28 and 27 points, the Pats' offense should win those games too. But not last year, sadly.

And probably not this year either. That won't get it done. But if 75% of the time they do a really good job, that's putting Stidham in a good spot.

Setting up Stidham for success means:
- RB group in totality surpass over 1500 rushing yards
- Tight ends in totality catch 60+ passes
- RBs and FBs in totality catch 60+ passes
- Defense plays top5 defense all year
We really, really need Damien Harris to produce as our clock-killin' closer...

He went 16-0 with Brady. The 2008 team has a weaker schedule and I did in fact count it as part of those 7 seasons. They missed the playoffs because the entire division feasted off the schedule. And the 09 team lost a lot of pieces and Beady was still getting his footing and was rusty to start.

Jimmy has shown to be a good starter and that tear Brady went 11-1 in the regular season and 3-0 in the playoffs. They also got shut out by a team that Brady massacred later in the year

Replace Belichick with a JAG coach and I doubt the Patriots sniff 11-5 and then 3-1 without Brady. We would look more like the Colts did without Manning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes