PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seriously, why NOT let him rot for 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JDSal45 said:
... and never offer him a long term deal besides the one you offered before.
J D Sal

...which, after this season, will be about the same as the offers he received from the Jets and Hawks.

I completely agree with the premise of this thread. It's one of the many reasons why a mere 2nd-round pick from a division rival isn't "fair and reasonable" compensation. If they simply let the player hold out they get him for the final 6 games and playoffs and can still franchise him after the season.

Plus of course letting him sit has another huge advantage over trading him for a pittance. Option 1 means holding out ended up a disaster for the player. Option 2 means holding out got the player exactly what he wanted. Factor that into your long-term value equation.

flutie2phelan said:
The team's position is better because Leion's is worse.
Now the world knows that only two teams thought he could be worth more
than those insulting Patriots' offers.
But they didn't think he is worth enough more ... to compensate his current employer commensurately.

Before, Deion had zero leverage and no clue whether anyone on the market agreed with what his agent was telling him. He was afraid to be franchised because his agent was unsure teams would pay $ and picks to get Deion. He was at the point where most players holding out have done the same thing - cave and report. Branch might not have done this but it is what nearly every holdout in recent league history has done.

His leverage really hasn't changed. Now, he still has very little to no leverage in the NFLPA's 2 hail mary passes. Will they win, highly unlikely but bizarre rulings tend to come out of NFL hearings. TO ended up in Philly because the league knew that he was going to be declared a free agent even though everyone acknowledged that his agent didn't file paperwork by the required deadline.

What has changed is he knows for a fact that not only are there a couple teams willing to pay him more $ than the Pats, those teams are also willing to give up picks too in order to get him.

I don't see how Deion is in a worse spot today than he was a week ago.

I agree it's best for the team to let Branch sit for 10 weeks without consuming a roster spot until then. Why trade him now when he could be the difference in winning a superbowl and still trade him for a 2nd round pick or better?

But I don't agree that's a disaster for Branch. The ONLY thing standing between him and a big payoff in March is injury. Holding out cuts that risk more than in half. Yes he'll have to pay fines, but it's doubtful that if he got a career-ending injury or even a season-ending injury, he'll be assessed those fines.

If he holds out, he'll still have at least six games to showcase his talent. Whatever money he may or may not lose is peanuts compared to the big payoff. We may think he's a jerk for holding out (and yes, I do, too) but he's no T.O. and by all accounts he's team-first when he's in the locker room.

So I don't see the downside of holding out compared to the risk of injury in the first ten games.

BelichickFan said:
In theory we should be able to get more now as the acquiring team would have the player for this season.
Now I'm confused again (still?). Originally I thought as you, that letting Branch find a team this time of year was an advantage to Branch. But then everyone convinced me that no, because of less CAP money and rosters already set, that Branch would have been worth A LOT more last spring.

Now we are back to him being worth more in training camp than spring?

Someone please help me out here.

dhamz said:
I don't see how we are in a better spot than we were before granting him permission to seek a trade. All the options the team has now, it had then.

Not sure if you've heard, but the Patriots traded for a WR yesterday who, while not replacing Deion, at least positions us better at that spot.

dhamz said:
What has changed is he knows for a fact that not only are there a couple teams willing to pay him more $ than the Pats, those teams are also willing to give up picks too in order to get him.

I don't see how Deion is in a worse spot today than he was a week ago.

Perhaps. What has ALSO changed, though, is the Patriots ability to SIT Deion, which is the last thing he wants. He wants to play. We are now better positioned to not allow him to play.

dhamz said:
I don't see how we are in a better spot than we were before granting him permission to seek a trade. All the options the team has now, it had then.
Having Gabriel doesn't give the teams more options?

Last we the Pats couldn't be sure if Branch would show up for week one or not. How could they plan their season? One week later, they learn that Deion is serious about not showing up, and they get his replacement.

The Pats are better off because they have their receiving corps in place for the season, and can afford not to worry if Deion shows up in week 2 or 8 or 10.

I said this in another thread, but go back a week and read the tenor of our posts. Tell me we are not more optimistic this week than last? Don't you feel better about the chances for a good season this year?

So the premise of this thread is to let Branch do what he's been willing to do since the beginning?

Wow.

You guys really got him this time. Take THAT, Branch.

Well, I think the point is that he is likely GONE either way, so we might as well wait and make him sit around. Since the compensation isn't necessarily going to drop by next Spring, we might as well punish him and benefit from his coming back in week 10 if BB CHOOSES to let him play. THEN get the 2nd rounder, if that's all it is.

Infinsible said:
He'll be a Seahawk.

I agree. He'll get traded to Seattle for their #1.

patsox23 said:
Perhaps. What has ALSO changed, though, is the Patriots ability to SIT Deion, which is the last thing he wants. He wants to play. We are now better positioned to not allow him to play.
I don't get that. Why wouldn't you play your best WR who is most in tune with your QB? Through all the trials of different players, from Milloy, to Law, to Seymour's holdout, BB has yet to cut off his nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes