PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seriously, why NOT let him rot for 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
If all we can expect to get for Deion is a 2nd rounder, which obviously doesn't tangibly help us NOW or at all this season, why not just wait and get it in the off-season, when we can still realistically expect a 2nd rounder, and when we will have a better idea of draft slot leading into the end of April? Either way, it's a 2nd rounder for the Apirl 2007 draft. Having it NOW doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

No WAY we don't get a 2nd for him in March 2007, so what's the rush? Punish him, deal with the distraction and let him F-ing sit til week 10.

F you, Deion. Doug Gabriel says hi.

Last edited:
In theory we should be able to get more now as the acquiring team would have the player for this season. If the best we can get is a #2 then there's no harm in waiting as we should be able to get that in the offseason but it also would make me wonder why teams are willing to pay him $36M if they wouldn't give up a #1 to get him for this season and for the future.

patsox23 said:
If all we can expect to get for Deion is a 2nd rounder, which obviously doesn't tangibly help us NOW or at all this season, why not just wait and get it in the off-season, when we can still realistically expect a 2nd rounder, and when we will have a better idea of draft slot leading into the end of April? Either way, it's a 2nd rounder for the Apirl 2007 draft. Having it NOW doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

No WAY we don't get a 2nd for him in March 2007, so what's the rush? Punish him, deal with the distraction and let him F-ing sit til week 10.

I agree 100%. Don't think that message won't be received by messrs. Koppen, Samuel, Graham, etc.

However, that message isn't really meant for them anyhow. The Patriots have the best paid MIDDLE CLASS in the NFL. It's the caviar class that is underpaid on the Patriots. If next year's FA's want to be part of the unit, then great. If they're looking for Tennessee Titan or Washington Redskin money, then they can go there also. BB/Pioli will usually find replacements.

Last edited:
I completely agree. If he's not going to help us then he shouldn't be able to help anyone because he is under contract. Branch needs to realize that HE IS UNDER CONTRACT he is NOT a free agent, so at this point it makes no difference what other teams are willing to pay him. I think the WR corps is strong enough for what the Patriots want to do this year so they should just let Branch cut off his nose to spite his face. Let him brew in his own bitterness. If players keep acting like their free agents when they are still under contract then teams are going to be in trouble.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
In theory we should be able to get more now as the acquiring team would have the player for this season. If the best we can get is a #2 then there's no harm in waiting as we should be able to get that in the offseason but it also would make me wonder why teams are willing to pay him $36M if they wouldn't give up a #1 to get him for this season and for the future.

I understand your point. I just think that Deion being Deion - and he's extremely talented - there's very little chance we can't still land a 2nd for him in the off-season. And if that's all we're getting offered now, we might as well franchise him then, and get the 2nd right before the draft.

There's every reason to think that's the wiser move - except that I think Belichick would prefer to have this behind us, so the team can move on, their focus unsullied by a whining, albeit talented, diva.

Last edited:
I'm all for it. If we can't get decent value out of Seattle NOW.. let him sit.

Dangle him out there for trade again before the trading deadline passes in week .... what? 5 or 6? See if any of the teams that passed on him in August because they thought they already had a potential answer at WR, find they still have questions in October.

I think you're right. We're in no hurry to make a move unless it benefits us NOW. Let Leon sit.

patsox23 said:
I understand your point. I just think that Deion being Deion - and he's extremely talented - there's very little chance we can't still land a 2nd for him in the off-season. And if that's all we're getting offered now, we might as well franchise him then, and get the 2nd right before the draft.

There's every reason to think that's the wiser move - except that I think Belichick would prefer to have this behind us, so the team can move on, their focus unsullied by a whining, albeit talented, diva.
I agree with you. If we can't get more than a #2 now then I'm fine with waiting. What I can't understand is if the player is so good, why can we only get a #2 now ? It makes you wonder.

Oh, and there's this. If you check Tomase's blog, he's now saying that the jesters are the only team to officially offer a #2 :

"It turns out that only the Jets have officially offered the Patriots a pick. The Seahawks got in the game relatively late and while word out of the Emerald City is that they would surrender a second-round pick for Branch, they never actually offered one."

And if you remember one of the links, Curran's I think, it said that the jester offer had a "funky structure". Which makes me wonder if there is a single rock solid offer of a #2 out there.

Strengthening your position is the list of 2007 WR free agents. Woefully thin. Branch would be at the top of it, if he gets that far. Perhaps that's the better part of his motivation these days.

There is no urgency this week, perhaps Seattle or someone else will suddenly feel naked after the first weekend and be more willing to offer a 1+. I see no clear advantage to keeping him through next March and trying to play franchise games with him - BB/SP may be smarter then Oakland when they got burned by the Postons last season, but why take the risk?

I think he moves for a 1+ deal this month.

patsox23 said:

I would do exactly that. And when he comes back for game 10, it would be like a great late season addition. If he plays like crap, then he hurts his own value. He won't.

And then I'd franchise him. I say make an example of this clown. Franchise him again in 2008 and never offer him a long term deal besides the one you offered before.

J D Sal

JDSal45 said:
And then I'd franchise him. I say make an example of this clown. Franchise him again in 2008 and never offer him a long term deal besides the one you offered before.

I'm with you. Who wouldve figured Deion Branch would live in such a self centered universe? Has the TEAM he plays for EVER come into his thoughts during this entire process?

The guy is making Terrell Owens look like a team first kind of guy. I've never seen someone destroy their reputation as swiftly as Deion has.

Last edited:
Anyone else think this is the most viable option at this point? It seems to me our bargaining position is as good as it's been since this ugliness began.

JDSal45 said:
I would do exactly that. And when he comes back for game 10, it would be like a great late season addition. If he plays like crap, then he hurts his own value. He won't.

J D Sal
These are my thoughts, as well. If he doesn't get traded (and my guess is he won't), then I'm just going to pretend that Branch is injured for the next 10 weeks.

I should disclose that my guessing he won't get traded pretty much guarantees a trade is coming.

BradyManny2344 said:
I'm with you. Who wouldve figured Deion Branch would live in such a self centered universe? Has the TEAM he plays for EVER come into his thoughts during this entire process?

The guy is making Terrell Owens look like a team first kind of guy. I've never seen someone destroy their reputation as swiftly as Deion has.

Isn't it ironic that the very worst thing that could have happened to Deion was to have won the SB MVP in 2005? Think about it. That was the moment it all went to his head.

"Pride Goeth Before the Fall".

patsox23 said:
Anyone else think this is the most viable option at this point? It seems to me our bargaining position is as good as it's been since this ugliness began.

I don't see how we are in a better spot than we were before granting him permission to seek a trade. All the options the team has now, it had then.

well said...its a shame...i'll take a 1st and a 3rd and be thrilled!

Once the season starts, BB will keep the team focused and won't allow this to be a distraction.

I don't see the value in the Pats releasing Branch..although I could probably agree in principle...you just can't release players just because they don't like their contract.

As for franchising him, the Pats will do what is best for the team. I don't see them using the franchise tag to punish or to make an example.

dhamz said:
I don't see how we are in a better spot than we were before granting him permission to seek a trade. All the options the team has now, it had then.

Dhamz, you don't think we're in a different spot than one week ago???

This I wrote in another thread:
"They got a one year younger guy yesterday who had half of last year's Branch production (Deion's best ever, btw) catching errant missiles thrown by Kerry Collins, for godssake......in a weak RB offense where opposing D's played Nickel 80% of the time. What can he do in ours???????

That's 50% of Branch for 10% of the money. And if they lose Branch they'll get AT LEAST a 2nd rounder for him.

That's freakin SYMPHONIC."

The Pats are NOT in the very same spot as last week.

Last edited:
JDSal45 said:

J D Sal

I am at a loss at why Branch (DOB-7/18/1979)
would not welcome that the opportunity to earn $7.5 million without taking part in TC in 2007 and $9 million in 2008 without taking part in TC in 2008 and then have the opportunity to enter free agency at the age of 29. Branch will be 30 at the start of the 2009 season. That will show Branch a thing or two paying him as a Top 5 receivers for 2 years when he isn't. What example would you make of him??

I'm sure that Graham, Samuel, Koppen, and TBC would welcome the Pats tagging Branch in 2007 because then they could not be tagged. I'm sure that Gabriel and Wilson would welcome the Pats tagging Branch in 2008 because then they could not be tagged.

dhamz said:

The team's position is better because Leion's is worse.
Now the world knows that only two teams thought he could be worth more
than those insulting Patriots' offers.
But they didn't think he is worth enough more ... to compensate his current employer commensurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back