PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sergio Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice addition to the roster...let's hope he sticks, even if it means keeping 5 Safeties....

I was surprised by how good he was. I noticed him almost right away. They must keep him on the roster, otherwise he will not make it back to the practice squad.

fact that our team has had tackling issues over the yrs its good to see a UDFA make a sound tackle instead of trying to hit gates out of bounds or something. imagine merriweather in that position.. i wouldnt be too confident.

Sergio Brown Steps Up From Practice Squad, Delivers in First Appearance for Patriots - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said Monday that Brown was activated due to safety Jarrad Page's injury, and it sounded like Brown was going to be used on special teams and as an emergency, fourth-string safety. When Patrick Chung injured his knee in the first half -- an injury that could sideline Chung for one or two weeks, according to 98.5 The Sports Hub -- Brown's role on defense increased.

Belichick was pleased with the way Brown handled the extra responsibility.

"All of our practice squad players are really told to be ready every week, and they could get called up at any point in the week up until Saturday," Belichick said. "So they all prepare as if they have an opportunity to play, and then if it doesn’t happen, then they start again next week. Sergio has been doing that now the first five weeks, six weeks, including the bye, and with Page's injury and his unavailability for this game, we felt like we could use a little more depth at the safety.

"Unfortunately, Patrick wasn’t able to finish the game, so we really did need [Brown]. We were down another safety. But he did a good job. Sergio did a good job. He stepped up and played a lot more than I think he thought he was going to play, or that we thought he was going to play. He played on defense, played on special teams, played a couple different positions there. I thought he played a solid game. [He] wasn’t perfect. There's a lot of things he'll learn from. He made some good plays. He definitely helped us. I'm glad we had him."

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Patriots show they are serious about safety Sergio Brown with a new contract

The Patriots signed safety Sergio Brown off their practice squad to play in Sunday’s win over the Chargers, so that tells you they like him at least a little bit. And the fact that he made a game-changing play by tackling Chargers tight end Antonio Gates short of the first-down marker in the fourth quarter meant their decision paid off.

But if you want to see what coach Bill Belichick feels about Brown, the former undrafted free agent from Notre Dame, check the contract. And yes, for those into minor contract news, this post is for you.

Brown has received a four-year contract that begins him at a (prorated) salary of $320,000. He’ll make $405,000, $490,000 and $575,000 over the next three seasons, locking him up through 2013. But three things make this unusual.

First, rarely do players promoted from the practice squad receive four-year deals, yet the Patriots may feel Brown is part of their future. He also received a $35,000 signing, also rare for an ex-practice squader. Finally, his fourth year contains escalators normally reserved for draft picks. Yet this contract treats Brown like one.

In other words, expect to see more of him.

Looks like BB knew he wouldn't make it back to PS so they signed him long term...he'll be playing ST and backup safety also. Good Move ! :singing:

Let's hope Chung's test are negative and he's back soon....

So am I the only one who, when I first saw #38 out there, thought "... Ty Poole ?..." Just for a second?

Brown's a nice addition; he was intriguing when they signed him and loved him in camp. Good start; he'll be needed.

So am I the only one who, when I first saw #38 out there, thought "... Ty Poole ?..." Just for a second?

Brown's a nice addition; he was intriguing when they signed him and loved him in camp. Good start; he'll be needed.

Ty POOLE!!! Ha..!

Thats exactly what I said from the nosebleed section! He made a few plays, and it was noticable.

great game, keep it up Rookie!

I was impressed with him in pre-season games, im glad they signed him long term

Big Brown fan- had him making the 53 coming out of preseason, and was disappointed when he didn't: thought he was another Terrence Nunn/Bam Childress type. After Sunday's game, though, and the contract that he got, maybe there's really something there...

Brown looked very solid against the Chargers. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take over the 3rd safety role if Chung is out for a few weeks. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him replace James Sanders or McGowan next year in that role. He seemed to get around the ball a lot.

For all the whining about how Bill "sucks" at drafting, he sure knows how to pick his undrafted free agents.

What a wild prediction! Yes, Brown is the #3 while Chung and Page are injured. We have no other choices, do we?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him take over the 3rd safety role if Chung is out for a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
He needs to come out playing a saxophone...

Screen-shot-2010-01-31-at-11.47.04-AM-e1264957975704.png

What a wild prediction! Yes, Brown is the #3 while Chung and Page are injured. We have no other choices, do we?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him take over the 3rd safety role if Chung is out for a few weeks.

Depends how quickly he learns. He looks better every time I see him. Could pass Sanders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye