PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter's report on Alex Smith's injury is not a promising one

I see Alex Smith as someone who always got looked over because he is a “vanilla,” take what the defense gives you kind of QB.
I wonder how great he would’ve been had he had a consistent offensive scheme and a coaching staff that stood behind him.
He would have sucked because he plays the way he does because of his limitations.
Taking what he is given and being captain checkdown has made him outperform his skill set.
He was a product of coaching that coached him to not do what he can’t.

He would have sucked because he plays the way he does because of his limitations.
Taking what he is given and being captain checkdown has made him outperform his skill set.
He was a product of coaching that coached him to not do what he can’t.

False

Last post season vs Tennesee the biggest piece in the KC offense Kelce got hurt and had to leave the game for good. Hill was not Hill yet, but he still had 11 for 87 yards.

Post Kelce injury, Andy Reid instead of running the ball more with the best RB that season in Kareem Hunt and Tyrek Hill, did not. Hunt got 11 carries all game and Hill had 1. Go look it up.

Smith ran the plays that Reid calls. The KC playoff loss vs Indy up by 21, Jamal Charles took himself out of the game and Reid quit running and using all the play clock up. Gave Luck the win.

Vs Pittsburgh 2 year ago. Smith threw a 2 point conversion that would have tied the game at 18 and OT but was called back because LT Eric Fischer held James Harrison. KC missed the second 2 pt conversion and lost.

Smith ran Reid called plays. If KC loses this year look to Red Andy as the reason why.

False

Last post season vs Tennesee the biggest piece in the KC offense Kelce got hurt and had to leave the game for good. Hill was not Hill yet, but he still had 11 for 87 yards.

Post Kelce injury, Andy Reid instead of running the ball more with the best RB that season in Kareem Hunt and Tyrek Hill, did not. Hunt got 11 carries all game and Hill had 1. Go look it up.

Smith ran the plays that Reid calls. The KC playoff loss vs Indy up by 21, Jamal Charles took himself out of the game and Reid quit running and using all the play clock up. Gave Luck the win.

Vs Pittsburgh 2 year ago. Smith threw a 2 point conversion that would have tied the game at 18 and OT but was called back because LT Eric Fischer held James Harrison. KC missed the second 2 pt conversion and lost.

Smith ran Reid called plays. If KC loses this year look to Red Andy as the reason why.
He only got as far as he did because of the plays called to protect him. But if you want to think Alex Smith is a great QBs held back by coaching go ahead and I willl just lol.

Throughout his career Alex Smith has done what was asked of him and done it well. While only his parents might call that great only a fool would say it hasn't been pretty damn good. For a Pats fan to disparage a QB for doing what his coach says and taking what a defense gives is the height of hypocrisy, Brady supplanted Bledsoe and won his first SB doing exactly that.

Throughout his career Alex Smith has done what was asked of him and done it well. While only his parents might call that great only a fool would say it hasn't been pretty damn good. For a Pats fan to disparage a QB for doing what his coach says and taking what a defense gives is the height of hypocrisy, Brady supplanted Bledsoe and won his first SB doing exactly that.

Alex Smith fits this team's philosophy, especially this team's philosophy at the outset of Brady's career, before he gave Madden goosebumps (perhaps about when he made Madden say there are 2 Michigan QBs on the field right now, and I'm not sure the best one is playing for Denver, or something like that.) Back when Smith and Rodgers came into the league, as I recall, Smith was billed as the "safe bet blue chip starting QB," while Rodgers had the high upside. That rare draft prediction that bore out in the real world, except Smith didn't even hold down that boring starting job.

God bless Captain Checkdown, he's been a good QB - he's done the job wellishly without complaining that he never got a chance to really truly shine or whatever (so many QBs can be like that, and can you blame them... when they've been top of the heap since they were 10 years old, and suddenly they're not the greatest?)

However, the OP is a matter of perspective... the Schefter report might not be promising for Alex Smith... but it's a much hoped-for eighth chance for Mark Sanchez, who will no doubt be the most productive USC quarterback in the NFL for at least a week or 2. :D

I would so love for him to manage yet another buttfumble in a 'Skins uni...

He only got as far as he did because of the plays called to protect him. But if you want to think Alex Smith is a great QBs held back by coaching go ahead and I willl just lol.

You cant argue cold hard facts as usual because youre wrong again.

You cant argue cold hard facts as usual because youre wrong again.
Cold hard facts? Your entire argument is that it’s someone else fault which is as far from cold hard facts as it gets.

Me: He is what he is
You: He is great the coaches made him look bad.

One is on the side of facts the other is on the side of unsupported opinion. We both know which is which.

Who is disparaging him for following his coaching?
I’m saying the coaching hid his flaws and made him as good as he could be. That adds up to overall a very average steadying NFL QB who is flawed.

Cold hard facts? Your entire argument is that it’s someone else fault which is as far from cold hard facts as it gets.

Me: He is what he is
You: He is great the coaches made him look bad.

One is on the side of facts the other is on the side of unsupported opinion. We both know which is which.

Your usual lies and propaganda.

Can't you even tell the truth on Thanksgiving for once?

I never stated that Smith was great. You came up with another one of your many lies all your own. Remember when you told me that Maroney was a # 1 Running Back and lied about it after he cleaning out his locker?.

When I heard that Smith suffered a broken leg my first thought was that JJ Watt got him on a late, cheap hit. The replay showed that it wasn't that late.

Your usual lies and propaganda.

Can't you even tell the truth on Thanksgiving for once?

I never stated that Smith was great. You came up with another one of your many lies all your own. Remember when you told me that Maroney was a # 1 Running Back and lied about it after he cleaning out his locker?.

Ahh, the Patsfans version of playing chess with a pigeon.

Last edited:
What are you talking about AJ? Other than the creme de la creme, every quarterback fits this description. Any offensive coordinator who does not game plan around what his quarterback can and can not do is a damn fool.

Alex Smith is good enough, can do enough, that a good OC can put points on the board. He's not good enough to carry a team on his back and very few quarterbacks actually are, but he can hold up his own end on a good team.

That's what he is. He's not going to carry you to Superbowl championships but he's head and shoulders above the drek at the bottom of the league and he will help you turn a struggling franchise around if job #1 isn't so much to win Superbowls as it is to rebuild some kind of dignity and professionalism in a franchise that's used to losing. Those guys are valuable too depending on a franchise's need, and there's never enough Bradys and Rodgerses to go around anyway.

Folks are saying it's not career threatening but if he has complications or his rehab is not going as well as expected, he just might call it a career and leave the cash on the table.

He also has 3 small children. I'm sure he'd like to run around with them. Hes made over $140m during his career. I think he can find a way to get by on just Medicare and food stamps.:p

+140 M
- 80M fed state and local taxes
- 15M agent
- 10M bling and cars for offensive lineman
- 10M bling requirements for QB position
- 10M off season vacation expenses (gtf out of Kansas City)
- 5M home gym to stay in shape
- 5M personal services/driver

How's he going to feed those 3 young children?!

Alex Smith is in the top .01% of people who have played the position. That's a remarkable achievement.
It is Thanksgiving. We could to just appreciate him for that and relax.

+140 M
- 80M fed state and local taxes
- 15M agent
- 10M bling and cars for offensive lineman
- 10M bling requirements for QB position
- 10M off season vacation expenses (gtf out of Kansas City)
- 5M home gym to stay in shape
- 5M personal services/driver

How's he going to feed those 3 young children?!
Medicare and food stamps. Plus the 5M left. Plus his injury settlement.

And the 80M taxes seems high. At least 35M of that list will be deductible, so taxable income will be a lot less.

What are you talking about AJ? Other than the creme de la creme, every quarterback fits this description. Any offensive coordinator who does not game plan around what his quarterback can and can not do is a damn fool.

Alex Smith is good enough, can do enough, that a good OC can put points on the board. He's not good enough to carry a team on his back and very few quarterbacks actually are, but he can hold up his own end on a good team.

That's what he is. He's not going to carry you to Superbowl championships but he's head and shoulders above the drek at the bottom of the league and he will help you turn a struggling franchise around if job #1 isn't so much to win Superbowls as it is to rebuild some kind of dignity and professionalism in a franchise that's used to losing. Those guys are valuable too depending on a franchise's need, and there's never enough Bradys and Rodgerses to go around anyway.
We will have to accept that we disagree in our opinion of Alex Smith and I will leave it at that.

Medicare and food stamps. Plus the 5M left. Plus his injury settlement.

And the 80M taxes seems high. At least 35M of that list will be deductible, so taxable income will be a lot less.

You are right. A good CPA may keep the family financially solvent.

That’s not good. An infection like this can turn in to sepsis and kill you

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back