PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scar's Parting Gift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wozzy

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
If BB and the offensive line coaches can pull off starting Eluemunor at RT, then they could conceivably (with health) have one of the best offensive lines in the league. Obviously there is a lot of projecting with the rookies and sophomores on the bench, but so far out of camp it sounds promising.

OT – Isaiah Wynn, Jermaine Eluemunor, Yodny Cajuste, Korey Cunningham, Justin Herron
OG – Shaq Mason, Joe Thuney, Michael Onwenu
C – David Andrews, Hjalte Froholdt, Tyler Gauthier

At tackle Wynn and Eluemunor are both plus athletes, studs. Eluemunor was raw coming out of college but he provides a lot of what Cannon did at RT in sheer size, athleticism and strength. Both guys also aren't very tall and with the potential of a shorter QB in Stidham or even with Cam they should be able to work the out routes and outside the hashes to a high degree of success. Last year Eluemunor came in as the 6th offensive lineman and worked in spots as a power run guard, if Onwenu can take up that position off the bench (and possibly play some Nose Tackle on D) then consider run downs and goal line on that right side they favored the last couple years. Shaq next to Eluemunor next to Onwenu... that last two guys on the line combined weigh in excess of 700 pounds and can bench press the moon. They should be able to simply blow teams off the ball in the run game, especially with some athletic mobile TE's cracking back and wham blocking. Yodny Cajuste is essentially a rookie but could develop into an incredible swing tackle, who has time to heal up and develop. Justin Herron would have little to no shot, but offensive tackle would suddenly no longer be a thin position in terms of depth.

Shaq Mason and Joe Thuney are about as good a guard tandem as you'll find in the league in terms of athleticism, they can motor. If David Andrews comes back to what he was that makes it three, he is a strong rock in the middle of that line and a solid technician. Where it gets interesting is Onwenu and Froholdt. Both guys have the prerequisite athleticism and especially strength to excel, obviously both are young and have a lot to prove. Froholdt can play center and down the road that might be his more natural position, he is incredibly mobile and strong but he has short levers, he is custom fit for center if he can make the calls but also would be a solid guard and swing man if he can man all three interior spots. Onwenu is interesting the way Eluemunor was coming out of college, raw size, strength and athleticism. He has a low center of gravity and is a load. His potential to play some nose tackle would provide the defense some breathing room in terms of a roster spot and that versatility would be handy overall as an active game day player.

In an "everything goes right" scenario Korey Cunningham, Tyler Gauthier, Justin Herron are on the outside looking in and the Patriots have one of the more run dominate O-Lines in the NFL. They are massive, strong and athletic health provided. Things don't always work out that way, but if so you can count O-Line along with Defensive Backfield and the RB room as some of the best units in the NFL. Don't let them tell you the Patriots have no talent because it's BS, talent at the glamour positions (weapons) doesn't account for the entirety of "talent."

Last year Eluemunor came in as the 6th offensive lineman and worked in spots as a power run guard, if Onwenu can take up that position off the bench (and possibly play some Nose Tackle on D) then consider run downs and goal line on that right side they favored the last couple years. Shaq next to Eluemunor next to Onwenu... that last two guys on the line combined weigh in excess of 700 pounds and can bench press the moon.

I think you nailed this part especially. Onwenu could land on the roster and buy a year to further develop on his ability to contribute in the short range run game as additional body alone. I am not even sure any snaps on defense -- even though some were speculating about it for a few months now -- would even be necessary. Yes, it would be a nice bonus but pushing their conversion rate upwards in the run game would already be enough in my book for a developmental player with upside.

Considering overall quickness, it ought to be an exceptional run-blocking line. All 5 guys are capable of pulling and leading outside runs, as well as sealing inside. They need to show they're stout enough to handle overload pass rushes on non-running downs, which is a concern to me.

I think you nailed this part especially. Onwenu could land on the roster and buy a year to further develop on his ability to contribute in the short range run game as additional body alone. I am not even sure any snaps on defense -- even though some were speculating about it for a few months now -- would even be necessary. Yes, it would be a nice bonus but pushing their conversion rate upwards in the run game would already be enough in my book for a developmental player with upside.
I agree, if Onwenu becomes a solid guard it will be a plus and asking him to learn two positions would be a big ask. But it would also create a niche role for him that helps the larger team as a whole.

Big nose tackles don't play many snaps, they don't play special teams, they are a drain on the roster. But a two way player could save a defensive roster spot and provide much needed run stops and beef on goal line and short run downs. A part time run blocker and a part time nose tackle could be a full-time role for someone like Onwenu, he would earn a larger contract down the road even if he wasn't a starter. This is a lot of projection and pie in the sky thinking but the possibility exists.

Onwenu, Gunner, Rashod Berry... the Pats have quite a few players who could be two way players, possibly play in all three phases like Gunner did in the final game of preseason last year.

With 16 players allowed on 2020 practice squads it means Pats can develop a lot of OL depth for several years.

Are opposing teams allowed to observe Pats practices?

With no pre-season games it should be easier to stash and keep practice squad members.

...In an "everything goes right" scenario Korey Cunningham, Tyler Gauthier, Justin Herron are on the outside looking in...
I would keep Cunningham as the 9th OLman...too many unknowns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes