SOURCE:Patriots.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Rams
Sun
Feb 3rd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
We're on to Atlanta!
Tom Brady and the Patriots pulled off an incredible overtime win at Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday, sending them to Atlanta to battle the Rams in the Super Bowl.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:
  1. Brandon Manning

Brandon Manning On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +370
    NFL network lists this as a top 10 SB ever. Really? Besides Tyree, was there anything truly memorable about this game? Honestly, I didn't think it was a top 10 SB of all time. It's not just because we lost. I just thought it was a boring game throughout. For example, we won SB 39. But that wasn't a good game to watch imo.

Am I the only one that doesn't think this is a top 10 SB of all time? It gets overrated by one moment imo. Just curious as to your thoughts.

2. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16,441
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Thank You Thank You x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fightingirish595

fightingirish595 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,184
    a lot of super bowls have sucked and were boring until recently. Personally I think it’s top 10 without really putting much thought into it

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,385
    It was a huge upset. A 10-6 team beat the only team to ever go 16-0. It was an epic game that came down to the final drive where lots of crazy $hit happened. Not sure what other SB had all of that.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  5. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59,515
    Doochbag trolls. You can say it was because of what was on the line but I agree, the game itself was lame until Q4.

I think in my Sb watching, 1990, 1995, 1997, 1999, 01, 03, 07, 08, 09, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017 were entertaining with 2001, 2003, 2014, 2016 being the GOATs

• Like Like x 1
  6. tasmlab

tasmlab Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,591
    I'm guessing the national audience probably really likes the uppity 16-0 Pats losing, despite whether the game was an exciting one to watch.

I thought the Pats/Falcons one was the most exciting one I've seen in the past two decades.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Steve:Section 102

Steve:Section 102 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,151
    Super Bowl 13 with Pittsburgh and Dallas IMO is when the Super Bowl really became super.

I agree with you that it's mostly trolling us NE fans... HA ! You SOBs lost! #1! Woooo! It was ok, but the last few minutes are pretty riveting from a non-NE point of view. Tyree's catch, Samuels dropping a pick, Eli evading sacks.

SB 36 holds a special place in my heart. First Pats win, winning kick as time expires, post 9/11, choosing to be introduced as a team, the greatest show on turf , New Orleans, and I was there. Pretty great. but for sheer drama, nothing beats the Pats V Atlanta.

I think the SB should always be in New Orleans. If the Saints get there, good for them. I know the NFL won't do it, but that's MHO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13,715
    Dude, you’re new here. No one brings up SB 42 around here, much less start a thread about it...

• Like x 2
    • Thank You x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  9. 203Pat

203Pat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,055
    I only watched it once. I really don’t remeber much about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Kdo5

Kdo5 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +7,782
    It is top one given the stakes involved. That said Super Bowl 36, 38, 49, 51, 52 (yuck) were all better games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brandon Manning

Ratings:
    +370
    It was a top five upset of all time. No doubt. But SB 43, 34, 38, 36, 32, 23, 25, 49, 13, 51, & 52 were better from start to finish. The storylines and fall out make it seem like a better game than it was imo. Sans Tyree, nothing stands out. Even had we won, I'd say the game itself wasn't that entertaining.

12. Brandon Manning

Ratings:
    +370
    What if the Giants won 21-10? Would it be top ten then? I think people are focusing too much on the result. Q1- 2:50 left in the 4th was a snoozefest.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. TB_Helmet

TB_Helmet In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,858
    I think 49 was the greatest game of all time.

Off-field drama:
    -- Budding dynasty (Seahawks) vs old guard (Patriots)
    -- Deflategate backdrop :mad:
    -- Pats hadn't won since '04
    -- Brady GOAT stakes
    -- Personalities and names on both sides

On-field drama:
    -- Game was close the whole time (biggest lead was 10 points)
    -- Crazy end of first half with Seattle scoring a TD (and Chris Matthews potential as a folk hero if Seattle had won)
    -- Chess match on multiple levels, most notably the decision to switch Browner to Matthews instead of Ryan
    -- Two unbelievable drives by the Pats to score TDs in the fourth quarter; at that time the greatest fourth quarter comeback in Super Bowl history
    -- Brady set what was at that time the Super Bowl single game passing yards record (Edit: this is incorrect, getting my Brady passing records confused).
    -- Kearse insane catch that would probably have topped the Helmet Catch in lore if they had won (not to mention Butler's presence of mind to touch him down)
    -- A crippled Hightower tackling Lynch to save the game
    -- Belichick Jedi mind-tricking Carroll into calling a pass by not calling a timeout when everyone was screaming at their TVs to do so
    -- Of course, Butler's interception, which is quite possibly the greatest play of all time
    -- The fallout: Carroll's decision being widely panned, Seahawks dynasty being derailed and the team falling apart, first time Brady was ever generally acknowledged as the GOAT.

Now, 51 might have been more exciting than 49 and if you prefer that one, then I won't put up a strong argument. But the Pats were garbage for more than half the game, and the Falcons were similarly bad when the comeback started. That's why I put 49 as a better game overall, and in my opinion the best ever.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Genius Genius x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  14. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59,515
    I actually watched that one on youtube. All those fumbles and INTs. Staubach almost led 'em back. Bradshaw made some sick throws. Really entertaining even if it was 40 years ago. So many HoFs playing. Unreal. A must watch for any football fan

Yea I'm trying not be a homer but really the SBs with the Pats are always entertaining. Even in 96 we closed it to 27-21 in the 4th qtr...then the roof caved in.

Yea my first SB memory was 1981. SF was up big and Cinci came back.

The 1980s were all blowouts except for Sb23. Forgot about that one...Montana to Taylor vs Cinci.

Yea I'd say Sb36 is my fav too. Special on a number of levels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16,441
    49 and 51 are like my two kids; I can’t love one more than the other. In my book, the two greatest SBs of all-time, and certainly even for non-Pats fans a strong argument can be made for either one.

To split hairs, I think 49 was a slightly better actual game, but 51 is more likely to stand the test of time as the best ever because of the comeback.

16. bormio

bormio In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,177
    Sal Pal (I know) called it this generation’s Ice Bowl. An absolutely iconic game. The level of play was so high. I watch more SB49 highlights than any other game. Edelman was an animal in that game - legitimately could have been MVP.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Belichick8384

Belichick8384 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +373
    It was a great defensive game. I know we don't like the outcome but that shouldn't cloud one's judgement. It was a great upset won with grit and defensive toughness. It was shades of the upset of the greatest show on turf not long before it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. sean10mm

sean10mm On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +694
    I love Super Bowl 51 for all the obvious reasons, but as a football game it was actually kind of just stupid if I'm honest. That impossible comeback was so impossible in part because it happened so slowly and depended so much on one side just being complete morons. And there was no real bad blood between the two teams going into it, the Falcons were always just sort of... there. It was historic, it was hilarious, but it wasn't an all-around great game.

Super Bowl 49 was a well played game by two really good teams down to the last seconds. You could play any random snippet of that game and just see really good football be played all over the field by both sides.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. maust1013

maust1013 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,933
    "For example, we won SB 39. But that wasn't a good game to watch imo." Could that be because you are an Eagles fan? What is with the 'we' and 'us' stuff? I've been a fan of this team going back to watching them in Fenway and I've never confused my fandom with being a member of the team. The Patriots won SB 39, 'we' didn't. Outside of the result XLII was an edge of the seat, any play could be the deciding one type of game and immensely entertaining from a defensive and competitive point of view. If the Pats had scored on their final drive to pull it out Pats fans would probably put it up there ahead of XLIX, LI or even XXXVI. Not that I would expect you to understand that.

20. sb1

sb1 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +9,447
    Pats beat the Packers that day in a monster upset if BB was coach - well maybe the BB of today - instead of Parcells with one foot out the door.

• Agree Agree x 1